The Competition

• 18 replies

hnk

The Competition
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
I caught glimpses of Georgetown, DePaul, Creighton, Butler and Seton Hall over the weekend.  We have our work cut out for ourselves.

Poison

Re: The Competition
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:25:37 PM »
I caught glimpses of Georgetown, DePaul, Creighton, Butler and Seton Hall over the weekend.  We have our work cut out for ourselves.

Georgetown isn’t so bad. They played a really bad team, but they showed off some BE size. Maybe Ewing can turn Govan into a monster. I’d actually like to see it happen.

Wods317

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »
All the teams named above are not cupcakes. For me it was hard to gauge anything from GTown because they Jacksonville team was one of the worst division I teams I have ever seen. Nothing will come easy this year though. We will have to bring it every night even against DePaul and grown who people thought wouldn't be good. We are not in the position to not take any team serisouky.

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 12:35:18 PM »
DePaul looked much better. They were bigger and more athletic.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 12:40:17 PM »
Therein lies the rub. Many of our fans view the team in a vacuum. Sure most of our players are really good but you have to compare them to the competition. If most of our schedule was against low majors we wouldn't be pointing out our deficiencies so much.

Johnny23

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 01:00:40 PM »
SHU has the deepest backcourt in the BE. I watched them the other night and look out. Carrington, Powell, Gordon, Walker and Cale are going to be tough for any team in the conf. They look like a legit Top 20 squad.

TONYD3

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 02:01:23 PM »
Therein lies the rub. Many of our fans view the team in a vacuum. Sure most of our players are really good but you have to compare them to the competition. If most of our schedule was against low majors we wouldn't be pointing out our deficiencies so much.
We have a fair schedule. We don’t play any crazy good Louisville, Syracuse, or UConn teams. Nova of course is great. But they are beatable. Our current team has talent . Lack of size and depth are excuses. We can play with Trimble 9 guys. Lovett and ponds are great. Most teams don’t have 2 great players .
Yakwe, Ahmed , and Owens can do the job. They are the same size as pointer and obekpa. Our current guys need to be (or be taught ) to be more physical.

pmg911

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 02:27:51 PM »
Providence will get an early test tonight with a very good #15 Minnesota team....

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 03:47:22 PM »
SHU has the deepest backcourt in the BE. I watched them the other night and look out. Carrington, Powell, Gordon, Walker and Cale are going to be tough for any team in the conf. They look like a legit Top 20 squad.

Myles Powell will become a star this year.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 04:53:46 PM »

Agree.  Here they're also viewing other teams in a vacuum.  It was one (or two) games for most of those teams, and you can't really judge anything.  Most know Seton Hall will field a good team, and Creighton and Butler are typically teams who you can't underrate.  Although, I think we'll be better than Butler.

I only saw a few possessions, but I heard DePaul wasn't so bad against Notre Dame on Saturday.  I watched all of the first half of Georgetown's game yesterday, but I barely saw any of the second half, as I was watching football.  They looked a bit more focus on defense, but they were still often fouling, gave up too many offensive boards, turned the ball over (they had 18), and their backcourt didn't do anything.  It was all Govan and Derrickson.  15 of Derrickson's 20 points came from behind the arc.  Govan missed some bunnies and was being shoved around.  He also ended up with 20 points, but he probably should've had more. 

Lastly, Jacksonville sucked more than your usual street walker.  UAB beat them by 30 and nearly hit the century mark (scored 97 points) against Jacksonville a few nights ago.  Other than our Johnnies, Georgetown has been the only Big East team I've seen at length, so far, in this early season, but I'll tune into Providence's game tonight.

Be careful of judging a team after one or two games.  Even more so, against mediocre-to-poor competition.  Give it, at least, a month or two.  On some occasions, it's probably best to wait until conference play starts.   

Regardless, my stance still stands with DePaul and Georgetown.  They'll be bottom-feeders (someone has to finish last) until I see something differently.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:58:58 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 06:16:44 PM »
amazing what a staff change did for them

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 06:26:11 PM »

Let's see how they fare once the "coaching change" group departs.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »

Let's see how they fare once the "coaching change" group departs.
he will hire rice and we be on the outside looking in again :)

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 07:49:37 PM »
Khalif Young just throwing guys around for Providence tonight. He's a big boy.

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 07:57:10 PM »
Khalif Young just throwing guys around for Providence tonight. He's a big boy.
Don't worry, Owens will twist him into a pretzel.  :)

MCNPA

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 07:58:13 PM »
Seton Hall also sucked for quite a few years under Willard.  Those Whitehead years bought him time and he has responded really well with recruiting.  Balanced teams. Truth is that the Big East is gonna be beastly this year.  We still have 3 of the best guards in the country but we aren’t a totally rebuilt team yet.  It takes time, much like it did for guys like Willard, Cooley. Bit hey are reaping what they sowed.  We have a few bigs next year but unfortunately not enough size nor depth this year.  We still have a chance to be very good and a tourney team this year.  Will have to wait on size and a totally balanced team, but Mullin started with nothing.

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 08:22:13 PM »
Btw, even though Providence is big inside they’re getting destroyed in paint tonight as well.  Our only hope could be zone and our shot blocking prowess...

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 08:23:52 PM »
This whole Mullin started with nothing is bull shit. Even the so called craziest fan on board knows who was on that roster. We all know it wasn’t very good. Still good enough to not get blown out by st. Thomas. Still good enough to not get blown out by incarnate wood.

New flash- last year was not promising- we were awful- one of the worst seasons in school history- the team was SOFT. What was done to change? NOTHING!

Plenty of talent on this team. Size and depth are excuses. Every team has holes.We shouldn’t win the big east, but we should have .500 conference record. We will lose some games, but we better compete. We shouldn’t give up 50 plus points ever in a half.

The St. John’s job that pays 2 million a year, should be earned every day. 1985 was 32 years ago. Our coach wanted the job, he hired this staff, he stuck with this staff. Why can’t he have to earn his paycheck?

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 08:24:28 PM »
Btw, even though Providence is big inside they’re getting destroyed in paint tonight as well.  Our only hope could be zone and our shot blocking prowess...

Concur.  Play a competent zone and have our shot blockers lurking on the weakside.