Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« on: January 10, 2018, 07:25:59 PM »
The Chris Mullin experiment has been a huge failure so far. I think it's pretty clear that he is not cut-out to be a college basketball head coach. Personally I would cut ties with him at season's end, but I realize that the SJU administration will give him at least one year.

Through 3 years the program has been unstable, to say the least, and the results have been horrible. There have been tons of key players transferring, the Sidney Wilson situation, being basically shutout by every top recruit for 2018 (Brooks being the exception only because of a scandal at his school), and now the Marcus Lovett debacle. Unfortunately Chris Mullin is way out of his league it seems when it comes to competing with other Big East coaches, and embarrassingly has his 28 year old assistant coach do most of the in game coaching. It's also clear his name doesn't have the allure to sway top prospects to come to St. John's.

This year was supposed to be the year where we made a big leap, and we are now an embarrassing 0-5 in conference play including losses to a very down Georgetown team, and perineal bottom dweller Depaul AT HOME! The team is in shambles, losing arguably their best player, and not having much talent otherwise to compete at a high level in this conference. SJU is now a combined 32-50 during the Mullin era, and honestly I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel with him being in charge.

I realize he will almost definitely be back next season, but I just don't see the point. I would cut ties, and do what we should have done 3 years ago, which is offer Danny Hurley whatever he wants, and have a REAL coach (unlike Lavin and Mullin) lead the program going forward. I'm sure many people will disagree with me which is fine, but as a long time fan, and season ticket holder I am just completely disgusted with the direction of this program under coach Mullin. I have the utmost respect for him as a St. John's legend and all time great player, but he is simply not a good coach, and probably never will be.

desco80

Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:27:36 PM »
Even if he wasn't the favorite son, the money does not exist to buy him out and pay a new coach a reasonable salary.   

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 07:28:07 PM »
lol

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:36:32 PM »
You guys are insane. He took a chance on Lovett as a top 50 talent and the kid ended up being a selfish daddy's boy sissy. They held our program hostage. We probably keep one or both of Ellison and Mussini if he bolted like he threatened last year. Now we're stuck with just one kid that can dribble a basketball.

The staff obviously learned from it and were not going to let those losers hold us up next year. Hence Greg Williams and Mikey Dixon. I'm certain they'll use Lovett's scholarship to add to the backcourt as well.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »
You guys are insane. He took a chance on Lovett as a top 50 talent and the kid ended up being a selfish daddy's boy sissy. They held our program hostage. We probably keep one or both of Ellison and Mussini if he bolted like he threatened last year. Now we're stuck with just one kid that can dribble a basketball.

The staff obviously learned from it and were not going to let those losers hold us up next year. Hence Greg Williams and Mikey Dixon. I'm certain they'll use Lovett's scholarship to add to the backcourt as well.

Mid major

Pete88

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 08:08:13 PM »

Mid major

Man, you've got a bad case of "big dick envy".
IONA always and I mean always goes home with the fat chick.
SJU at least gets to play with the hot girls and occasionally bangs one here and there. 

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 08:13:32 PM »

Mid major

SJU at least gets to play with the hot girls and occasionally bangs one here and there. 

Fake news brother. Make the big boy tournament

Pete88

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »

Mid major

Not fake brother.  Your opinions and objectives are well documented. 
IONA will always be a shitty mid-major program that no one (fans, media, networks, etc, etc.) gives a crap about, regardless of making the occasional big boy tournament.  They will always be wannabes to the program you want to see become what you currently are. 

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »

Mid major

IONA will always be a shitty mid-major program that no one (fans, media, networks, etc, etc.) gives a crap about, regardless of making the occasional big boy tournament.  They will always be wannabes to the program you want to see become what you currently are. 

Like I said, fake news. Still waiting for your big program To become relevant

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 09:24:45 PM »

Mid major

Like I said, fake news. Still waiting for your big program To become relevan

Still waiting for you not to be the biggest tool by far on this site

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:32:59 PM »
Look he's not getting fired.  It's not  happening.  Even with an utter complete disaster 2-16, 1-17 type of season I don't see it.

So don't waster your time.

My only thing is I don't want to see any more articles about how much he has improved the program, how we are so much better off after 3 years then if we had kept Lavin or hired someone else, the balance of the roster etc, etc...

The benefit of the doubt is gone.  He is no different than Steve Lavin.  In fact he is no different than Norm Roberts who was 7-9 in his 3rd year in a much more difficult BE and after taking over a complete dumpster fire his first 2 years.  Don't care anymore about 1985.  Don't care anymore about how Zach likes this staff so he is a great read.   By the way I'll dig up the tweet but Braziller tweeted a couple of years ago the plan was to be a top 25 program by year 3 (He tweeted that, he certainly got that from you know who).

Don't care anymore.  No more benefit of the doubt on borderline recruits or transfers.  The fact is if you look closely at what they landed and who they have beaten vs who has transferred out, who they have whiffed on, who they have lost to and throw the Slice drama, Sid Wilson dram and now the Marcus Lovett drama there is not much positive you can honestly say has happened since his hire.  Hard to believe but if you take an honest look you would be hard pressed to find 5 things you would say the program is better at then they were 3 years ago.

It's CM's job, he wanted it.  Staff change, no staff change.  Not my call and I don't care.  Fix it or take a hike.  But man assuming this year continues south, what an off season and what a year he needs to have next year....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:33:38 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 09:36:19 PM »

Not sure why you are only person on planet that thinks Simon can't dribble. Very odd

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 09:39:04 PM »

Not sure why you are only person on planet that thinks Simon can't dribble. Very odd
Simon thinks the same thing. That's why he takes off from the ft line. 

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 09:43:23 PM »
The Chris Mullin experiment has been a huge failure so far. I think it's pretty clear that he is not cut-out to be a college basketball head coach. Personally I would cut ties with him at season's end, but I realize that the SJU administration will give him at least one year.

Through 3 years the program has been unstable, to say the least, and the results have been horrible. There have been tons of key players transferring, the Sidney Wilson situation, being basically shutout by every top recruit for 2018 (Brooks being the exception only because of a scandal at his school), and now the Marcus Lovett debacle. Unfortunately Chris Mullin is way out of his league it seems when it comes to competing with other Big East coaches, and embarrassingly has his 28 year old assistant coach do most of the in game coaching. It's also clear his name doesn't have the allure to sway top prospects to come to St. John's.

This year was supposed to be the year where we made a big leap, and we are now an embarrassing 0-5 in conference play including losses to a very down Georgetown team, and perineal bottom dweller Depaul AT HOME! The team is in shambles, losing arguably their best player, and not having much talent otherwise to compete at a high level in this conference. SJU is now a combined 32-50 during the Mullin era, and honestly I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel with him being in charge.

I realize he will almost definitely be back next season, but I just don't see the point. I would cut ties, and do what we should have done 3 years ago, which is offer Danny Hurley whatever he wants, and have a REAL coach (unlike Lavin and Mullin) lead the program going forward. I'm sure many people will disagree with me which is fine, but as a long time fan, and season ticket holder I am just completely disgusted with the direction of this program under coach Mullin. I have the utmost respect for him as a St. John's legend and all time great player, but he is simply not a good coach, and probably never will be.

Jan 2022 The truth will claim they should fire Tim Cluess and hire a "real coach"

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 09:43:59 PM »

Simon thinks the same thing. That's why he takes off from the ft line. 

Simon having a good handle does not take away from Ponds

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 09:44:12 PM »

Mid major

Iona is a joke. And that’s certainly not news. Even to the Baldi man!  :2funny: ;D

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 09:44:57 PM »
just can't see university being willing to take on a buy-out and then adding new expense for a lower salaried coach unless the net difference resulted in savings.

If Mullin ship sinks, I can't imagine any more big time money being pumped into program

For any of us who are fans, all we can do is hope Mullin rights this ship, or it's done.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:46:15 PM by RedStormNC »

Pete88

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 09:48:46 PM »

Mid major

Despite all of its drawbacks its relevant enough to be levels above your shitty meaningless IONA program.  Says it all

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 09:48:52 PM »

Mid major

Iona is a joke. And that’s certainly not news. Even to the Baldi man!  :2funny: ;D

1985 Was a great year

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 09:55:14 PM »

Agreed. Was wondering the same thing.