Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies

Poison

Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #480 on: January 23, 2018, 07:38:10 AM »
Just watch any good or even halfway decent coach and you'll see how active they are communicating with their team during the game. Then watch Mullin and only an idiot would say it's not on the coaching staff. It begins and ends there with this team.

Exactly. He’s complete shit. He doesn’t coach. Just bitches and actually costs them points. He’s the weakest link. They’d probably do better with no coach.

paultzman

« Reply #481 on: January 23, 2018, 07:50:13 AM »

« Reply #482 on: January 23, 2018, 07:52:31 AM »
A shit program deserves a shit coach. 

wpc77

« Reply #483 on: January 23, 2018, 08:38:44 AM »
Very tough, but fair piece in my opinion;

https://nypost.com/2018/01/22/the-weaknesses-pushing-chris-mullin-further-toward-hot-seat/

Good artucle, but have to hope that some of those quotes aren't coming from Matt A.  Also, no mention of the Slice debacle.

Also the anonymous donor is spot on.  The admin needs to have a vision here.  Haven't had that since Cahill.   Embarrassing.   

As far assistants, unless the AD steps in and guides the process with a veto on all choices, coach is going to go to his pals, and we will get Mario Elie and somebody that Don Nelson recommends. 

« Reply #484 on: January 23, 2018, 08:57:07 AM »
I don't think there is anything good or bad about the piece.  It is a mishmash of various people giving their opinion of why the program is struggling in year 3.  As mentioned t doesn't mention Slice issue.  Also Chris clearly is not interested in hiring Mike Rice, that is obvious.  And seriously, people think that part of the problem is the administration isn't going to Chris asking if he needs help....My God....

Poison

« Reply #485 on: January 23, 2018, 08:59:03 AM »
Very tough, but fair piece in my opinion;

https://nypost.com/2018/01/22/the-weaknesses-pushing-chris-mullin-further-toward-hot-seat/

Good artucle, but have to hope that some of those quotes aren't coming from Matt A.  Also, no mention of the Slice debacle.

Also the anonymous donor is spot on.  The admin needs to have a vision here.  Haven't had that since Cahill.   Embarrassing.   

As far assistants, unless the AD steps in and guides the process with a veto on all choices, coach is going to go to his pals, and we will get Mario Elie and somebody that Don Nelson recommends. 

Not all the big spenders are nostalgic for Mullin. Some would fire him right now. Like right this minute now. To be clear, I would wait until the CBI is over. Mullin deserves to experience the tournament he’s coached his team into.

Poison

« Reply #486 on: January 23, 2018, 09:01:19 AM »
I don't think there is anything good or bad about the piece.  It is a mishmash of various people giving their opinion of why the program is struggling in year 3.  As mentioned t doesn't mention Slice issue.  Also Chris clearly is not interested in hiring Mike Rice, that is obvious.  And seriously, people think that part of the problem is the administration isn't going to Chris asking if he needs help....My God....

There’s only one problem: if the administration still thinks coaching is something Chris Mullin should be doing at St.John’s.

Foad

« Reply #487 on: January 23, 2018, 09:16:36 AM »
They’d probably do better with no coach.

Well, Lavin is available ....

paultzman

« Reply #488 on: January 23, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »

Rice, as you know, was on campus a number of times this summer, as late as September. Obviously he was interested in a job at SJU. As you noted, CM, for whatever reason, chose not to bring him on. I am sure he had his reasons, but I sense he will bring someone with experience on board after this painful season concludes. It won't  be an instant fix, but worth trying for sure. Let's get a win tonight and give these players a break from the torment of losing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:25:16 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #489 on: January 23, 2018, 09:38:01 AM »

Rice, as you know, was on campus a number of times this summer, as late as September. Obviously he was interested in a job at SJU. As you noted, CM, for whatever reason, chose not to bring him on. I am sure he had his reasons, but I sense he will bring someone with experience on board after this painful season concludes. It won't  be an instant fix, but worth trying for sure. Let's get a win tonight and give these players a break from the torment of losing.

No I know there was an opportunity and he said no.  Also there was no administrative impediment either.  And my guess is with all the noise he'll make a change, I just don't think it will be the panacea that many think.

To me the bigger issue has been recruiting.  If you looked at the the top kids for 16, 17 and 18 from NY/NJ, Mullin has whiffed on essentially everyone.  And because he has failed to land difference makers then this rebuild is going to take longer.  Throw in a lot of sit transfers and many outgoing transfers and you have had a very uneven rebuild.

I mean Mikey Dixon as a starter next year???? Again if on the day Chris was hired in April 2015 with all the enthusiasm of potential new recruits I told you that SJU would have a losing record in his first 3 years, would essentially whiff on all the top area kids and they would be counting on a transfer from Quinnipiac for a huge contribution in year 4 I think I would have been laughed off the board.

Foad

« Reply #490 on: January 23, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
A Big East coach, speaking on condition of anonymity, believes criticism of Mullin and his staff is unfair ... “They’re playing really damn competitive and they’re playing everybody really tough,” the Big East coach said. “They had an offense set up to have two scoring guards. They lost a really good player. That’s a tough adjustment to make on the fly.”

Who's the coach? Got to be east coast. Probably Willard, if not him Wright or Ed Cooley's diseased head. Probably not Wright because he said "damn" and Wright's way too classy to have a potty mouth. Conclusion: it's Willard. Question: is this disinformation of the sort that led Pitino to praise Norm, Willard hoping that his anonymous praise will lead to Mullin being extended? Or is it a true partial explanation of what's happened. If true, does that make Willard less knowledgeable than the many CYO coaches and gym teachers who post here? Should Willard be fired?

Discuss.

« Reply #491 on: January 23, 2018, 09:57:31 AM »
To me the bigger issue has been recruiting.  If you looked at the the top kids for 16, 17 and 18 from NY/NJ, Mullin has whiffed on essentially everyone.  And because he has failed to land difference makers then this rebuild is going to take longer.  Throw in a lot of sit transfers and many outgoing transfers and you have had a very uneven rebuild.

Why would you expect top kids from the area to come to SJU?  They would be coming to a program with a staff that has shown it does not know how to win and has not developed players.  Add in, that they lack the basic fundamentals of x and o''s, which people outside the program see, along with negative recruiting.  Recruiting transfers was supposed to give Mullin a leg up on getting out of gate quicker because they added experience, but instead they have hindered the process because of roster imbalance.

« Reply #492 on: January 23, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »

Why would you expect top kids from the area to come to SJU?  They would be coming to a program with a staff that has shown it does not know how to win and has not developed players.  Add in, that they lack the basic fundamentals of x and o''s, which people outside the program see, along with negative recruiting.  Recruiting transfers was supposed to give Mullin a leg up on getting out of gate quicker because they added experience, but instead they have hindered the process because of roster imbalance.

I think you need to learn the quote function...

paultzman

« Reply #493 on: January 23, 2018, 10:23:07 AM »

No I know there was an opportunity and he said no.  Also there was no administrative impediment either.  And my guess is with all the noise he'll make a change, I just don't think it will be the panacea that many think.

I mean Mikey Dixon as a starter next year???? Again if on the day Chris was hired in April 2015 with all the enthusiasm of potential new recruits I told you that SJU would have a losing record in his first 3 years, would essentially whiff on all the top area kids and they would be counting on a transfer from Quinnipiac for a huge contribution in year 4 I think I would have been laughed off the board.
Agree on need for CM to be much more involved in recruiting. Another AC also in my opinion has to much more active than Greg is. We rely way too much on Matt as sole guy determining who we really recruit.

I also agree on your "panacea" comment.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:24:25 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #494 on: January 23, 2018, 10:26:53 AM »
I only wanted that part of your quote, but yeah I could of done a better showcasing that. 

Mullin is not going to land top notch players consistently for the reasons I stated above. 

« Reply #495 on: January 23, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »
I only wanted that part of your quote, but yeah I could of done a better showcasing that. 

Mullin is not going to land top notch players consistently for the reasons I stated above. 

Outside of first Lavin class (half of which were not eligible), you have to go back to Fran to find a ST John's coach that landed "top notch" talent.

« Reply #497 on: January 23, 2018, 11:05:52 AM »

Why would anyone expect us to be landing difference makers? Our track record over the past two decades has been in the dumpster. Top recruits are not coming here. In my opinion, based on all of that, the talent level we have is pretty impressive. I believe the staff recognized we aren't a destination for top talent, and rightfully took a shot on transfers to get this type of talent in here.

« Reply #498 on: January 23, 2018, 11:10:00 AM »

Why would anyone expect us to be landing difference makers? Our track record over the past two decades has been in the dumpster. Top recruits are not coming here. In my opinion, based on all of that, the talent level we have is pretty impressive. I believe the staff recognized we aren't a destination for top talent, and rightfully took a shot on transfers to get this type of talent in here.

You think CM was hired and brought Slice over so we could take chances on 2nd rate recruits and overvalued transfers????

Then I really do have to ask the question, why was Lavin fired and more importantly why was a man with no college HC experience hired?

« Reply #499 on: January 23, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
Does anyone really no what happened with Slice?
Some on here suggested he was just collecting a check and wasn't working or just didn't realize that he couldn't recruit here like he did elsewhere.
And others said that there was some kind of pissing contest with Matt that he lost.
If it was the 2nd thing then that was Mullin's biggest mistake as coach.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:23:37 AM by we are sju »