Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #500 on: January 23, 2018, 11:26:17 AM »
Very tough, but fair piece in my opinion;

https://nypost.com/2018/01/22/the-weaknesses-pushing-chris-mullin-further-toward-hot-seat/

As usual Matt gets a pass
You, maven, and slice are the only people who think he’s a problem

« Reply #501 on: January 23, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »

https://nypost.com/2018/01/22/the-weaknesses-pushing-chris-mullin-further-toward-hot-seat/

Um , he recruited a last place team. You ok with that?

« Reply #502 on: January 23, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »
Does anyone really no what happened with Slice?
Some on here suggested he was just collecting a check and wasn't working or just didn't realize that he couldn't recruit here like he did elsewhere.
And others said that there was some kind of pissing contest with Matt that he lost.
If it was the 2nd thing then that was Mullin's biggest mistake as coach.

The 2nd thing. Matt is not very popular with his peers

« Reply #503 on: January 23, 2018, 11:40:19 AM »

Since recruiting is not the problem, yes.

« Reply #504 on: January 23, 2018, 11:41:34 AM »

« Reply #505 on: January 23, 2018, 11:57:01 AM »

Chris Mullin recruited that and no one should be happy...

« Reply #506 on: January 23, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »

Why is Matt on the staff? For his X's and O's expertise?

« Reply #507 on: January 23, 2018, 12:05:24 PM »

What is your point and why are you debating this with us we don't make those decisions Chris does?  Go call him and yell at him.

Your entire post is nonsense.  I don't care what you want to ask.

« Reply #508 on: January 23, 2018, 12:06:36 PM »

What is your point and why are you debating this with us we don't make those decisions Chris does?  Go call him and yell at him.

Ho was March  on Saturday?

« Reply #509 on: January 23, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »

Ho was March  on Saturday?

Is there doctor here....?

« Reply #510 on: January 23, 2018, 01:02:11 PM »
I don't think there is anything good or bad about the piece.  It is a mishmash of various people giving their opinion of why the program is struggling in year 3.  As mentioned t doesn't mention Slice issue.  Also Chris clearly is not interested in hiring Mike Rice, that is obvious.  And seriously, people think that part of the problem is the administration isn't going to Chris asking if he needs help....My God....

Rice, as you know, was on campus a number of times this summer, as late as September. Obviously he was interested in a job at SJU. As you noted, CM, for whatever reason, chose not to bring him on. I am sure he had his reasons, but I sense he will bring someone with experience on board after this painful season concludes. It won't  be an instant fix, but worth trying for sure. Let's get a win tonight and give these players a break from the torment of losing.

No I know there was an opportunity and he said no.  Also there was no administrative impediment either.  And my guess is with all the noise he'll make a change, I just don't think it will be the panacea that many think.

To me the bigger issue has been recruiting.  If you looked at the the top kids for 16, 17 and 18 from NY/NJ, Mullin has whiffed on essentially everyone.  And because he has failed to land difference makers then this rebuild is going to take longer.  Throw in a lot of sit transfers and many outgoing transfers and you have had a very uneven rebuild.

I mean Mikey Dixon as a starter next year???? Again if on the day Chris was hired in April 2015 with all the enthusiasm of potential new recruits I told you that SJU would have a losing record in his first 3 years, would essentially whiff on all the top area kids and they would be counting on a transfer from Quinnipiac for a huge contribution in year 4 I think I would have been laughed off the board.

Why would anyone expect us to be landing difference makers? Our track record over the past two decades has been in the dumpster. Top recruits are not coming here. In my opinion, based on all of that, the talent level we have is pretty impressive. I believe the staff recognized we aren't a destination for top talent, and rightfully took a shot on transfers to get this type of talent in here.

You think CM was hired and brought Slice over so we could take chances on 2nd rate recruits and overvalued transfers????

Then I really do have to ask the question, why was Lavin fired and more importantly why was a man with no college HC experience hired?

+1

« Reply #511 on: January 23, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »

The head coach "recruited" a last place team.  He or she who oversees a company, and when it fails are at fault.

redslope

« Reply #512 on: January 23, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »

The head coach "recruited" a last place team.  He or she who oversees a company, and when it fails are at fault.

As Harry Truman said "The buck stops here"  To bad it does not seem to apply anymore.

« Reply #513 on: January 23, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »
I only wanted that part of your quote, but yeah I could of done a better showcasing that. 

Mullin is not going to land top notch players consistently for the reasons I stated above. 

Outside of first Lavin class (half of which were not eligible), you have to go back to Fran to find a ST John's coach that landed "top notch" talent.

2 1/3 of 9 = 50%?  Common Core Math is alive and well.

« Reply #514 on: January 23, 2018, 03:07:46 PM »
I only wanted that part of your quote, but yeah I could of done a better showcasing that. 

Mullin is not going to land top notch players consistently for the reasons I stated above. 

Outside of first Lavin class (half of which were not eligible), you have to go back to Fran to find a ST John's coach that landed "top notch" talent.

Who was the third of a player? Malik Boothe was a Norm recruit and that really is an unfair shot at his height.
I don't remember the exact number of recruits or who was eligible it was a guesstimate wise-ass. And whatever the actually number throw Lindsey in  there for not lasting 10 games .

Foad

« Reply #515 on: January 23, 2018, 03:18:37 PM »

Who was the third of a player? Malik Boothe was a Norm recruit and that really is an unfair shot at his height.
I don't remember the exact number of recruits or who was eligible it was a guesstimate wise-ass. And whatever the actually number throw Lindsey in  there for not lasting 10 games .

Be fair, hyperbole can be hard.

Garrett presumably was the half. Pelle and Sampson the other two. Sanchez and Bourgault were iffy the next year. Rumor has it Jordan was going to be ineligible. Later there was the transcript hand off in the parking lot guy. Lavin cared about academics because some things are more important than winning when you're taking incremental or baby steps up the side or slope of the hill or mountain when you're looking to play your best basketball in February.

« Reply #516 on: January 23, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »

Garrett presumably was the half. Pelle and Sampson the other two. Sanchez and Bourgault were iffy the next year. Rumor has it Jordan was going to be ineligible. Later there was the transcript hand off in the parking lot guy. Lavin cared about academics because some things are more important than winning when you're taking incremental or baby steps up the side or slope of the hill or mountain when you're looking to play your best basketball in February.

The one thing no one ever mentions regarding the Lavin era was the contrast in how he handled Jordan and Harrison.
He suspends Harrison for still unspecified infractions when it was going to be close in regards to us making the tourney. I know you thought he did that as almost a built in excuse. Now in fairness a couple of people have told me that he really was a pain in the butt but again odd timing.

Now contrast that with Jordan's handling.In a year where he was theoretically fighting for an extension he lets Jordan continue playing the while he stopped going to class and disappeared multiple times.

With Harrison he tried to come off as some kind of Father Flanagan when it suited his purpose but when he needed to win Jordan played.

Foad

« Reply #517 on: January 23, 2018, 04:18:05 PM »

The one thing no one ever mentions regarding the Lavin era was the contrast in how he handled Jordan and Harrison.
He suspends Harrison for still unspecified infractions when it was going to be close in regards to us making the tourney. I know you thought he did that as almost a built in excuse. Now in fairness a couple of people have told me that he really was a pain in the butt but again odd timing.

Now contrast that with Jordan's handling.In a year where he was theoretically fighting for an extension he lets Jordan continue playing the while he stopped going to class and disappeared multiple times.

With Harrison he tried to come off as some kind of Father Flanagan when it suited his purpose but when he needed to win Jordan played.

When Harrison was suspended SJ was 16-12, having lost four of their last six in February when they're supposed to be playing their best ball, with these remaining four games: Providence on the road, #24 ND on the road, #15 marquette at home, and Villanova @MSG. Coincidence? Not bloody likely.

Oh the bright side LAvin did go on to win the one post season game of his storied career, beating mighty St Joe's. So there's that.

« Reply #518 on: January 23, 2018, 04:42:17 PM »

Matt A is the source. He has infested the staff. Did the same thing to Slice, went to the papers  and got him run out of town.

« Reply #519 on: January 23, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »
He’s complete shit. 

Sadly, you have no respect and should be ashamed of yourself.

Keep this up and you'll wind up meeting with Hades in the end.