Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies

Poison

Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #520 on: January 23, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
I only wanted that part of your quote, but yeah I could of done a better showcasing that. 

Mullin is not going to land top notch players consistently for the reasons I stated above. 

Outside of first Lavin class (half of which were not eligible), you have to go back to Fran to find a ST John's coach that landed "top notch" talent.

2 1/3 of 9 = 50%?  Common Core Math is alive and well.

Who was the third of a player? Malik Boothe was a Norm recruit and that really is an unfair shot at his height.
I don't remember the exact number of recruits or who was eligible it was a guesstimate wise-ass. And whatever the actually number throw Lindsey in  there for not lasting 10 games .

Be fair, hyperbole can be hard.

Garrett presumably was the half. Pelle and Sampson the other two. Sanchez and Bourgault were iffy the next year. Rumor has it Jordan was going to be ineligible. Later there was the transcript hand off in the parking lot guy. Lavin cared about academics because some things are more important than winning when you're taking incremental or baby steps up the side or slope of the hill or mountain when you're looking to play your best basketball in February.

The one thing no one ever mentions regarding the Lavin era was the contrast in how he handled Jordan and Harrison.
He suspends Harrison for still unspecified infractions when it was going to be close in regards to us making the tourney. I know you thought he did that as almost a built in excuse. Now in fairness a couple of people have told me that he really was a pain in the butt but again odd timing.

Now contrast that with Jordan's handling.In a year where he was theoretically fighting for an extension he lets Jordan continue playing the while he stopped going to class and disappeared multiple times.

With Harrison he tried to come off as some kind of Father Flanagan when it suited his purpose but when he needed to win Jordan played.

When Harrison was suspended SJ was 16-12, having lost four of their last six in February when they're supposed to be playing their best ball, with these remaining four games: Providence on the road, #24 ND on the road, #15 marquette at home, and Villanova @MSG. Coincidence? Not bloody likely.

Oh the bright side LAvin did go on to win the one post season game of his storied career, beating mighty St Joe's. So there's that.

There's no coincidence that you're aware of.

« Reply #521 on: January 23, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »
I only wanted that part of your quote, but yeah I could of done a better showcasing that. 

Mullin is not going to land top notch players consistently for the reasons I stated above. 

Outside of first Lavin class (half of which were not eligible), you have to go back to Fran to find a ST John's coach that landed "top notch" talent.

Who was the third of a player? Malik Boothe was a Norm recruit and that really is an unfair shot at his height.
I don't remember the exact number of recruits or who was eligible it was a guesstimate wise-ass. And whatever the actually number throw Lindsey in  there for not lasting 10 games .

1/3 is Garrett.  He ended up playing over 20 games that season.  Of course the two who didn't qualify were Sampson who came the next year and Pelle who never made it.  Those that made it to start the season were Dlo, PHil, GG, Dom Nuri, and Mo.  Those 6 would still represent one of St Johns best recruiting classes of the past 20 years with 3 top 50 players.  Sampson was also top 50 and Pelle 51 on RSCI.

Guess you could throw in Nuri and Stith with the non qualifiers for quitting (Boothe graduated the year before). 

Crazy thing is only 5 guys stayed on the roster for that entire year and they were all first year D1 players, with the 3 others only playing parts of the year.  That team won 6 conference games.

« Reply #522 on: January 23, 2018, 05:04:42 PM »

1/3 is Garrett.  He ended up playing over 20 games that season.  Of course the two who didn't qualify were Sampson who came the next year and Pelle who never made it.  Those that made it to start the season were Dlo, PHil, GG, Dom Nuri, and Mo.  Those 6 would still represent one of St Johns best recruiting classes of the past 20 years with 3 top 50 players.  Sampson was also top 50 and Pelle 51 on RSCI.

Guess you could throw in Nuri and Stith with the non qualifiers for quitting (Boothe graduated the year before). 

Crazy thing is only 5 guys stayed on the roster for that entire year and they were all first year D1 players, with the 3 others only playing parts of the year.  That team won 6 conference games.

Probably on paper the 3nd best class since I have been a fan. Lopez / Hamilton class would be one and Sealy /Werdann two.
Just off top of my head with no research as that is how I roll.

Pete88

« Reply #523 on: January 23, 2018, 05:09:10 PM »
He’s complete shit. 

Sadly, you have no respect and should be ashamed of yourself.

Keep this up and you'll wind up meeting with Hades in the end.

No, can't be.  Poison is a humanitarian, nothing but love in his teeny tiny liberal heart.   He would never speak ill of someone, not the way you are raised in Scarsdale.

Foad

« Reply #524 on: January 23, 2018, 05:12:41 PM »

Garrett presumably was the half. Pelle and Sampson the other two. Sanchez and Bourgault were iffy the next year. Rumor has it Jordan was going to be ineligible. Later there was the transcript hand off in the parking lot guy. Lavin cared about academics because some things are more important than winning when you're taking incremental or baby steps up the side or slope of the hill or mountain when you're looking to play your best basketball in February.

The one thing no one ever mentions regarding the Lavin era was the contrast in how he handled Jordan and Harrison.
He suspends Harrison for still unspecified infractions when it was going to be close in regards to us making the tourney. I know you thought he did that as almost a built in excuse. Now in fairness a couple of people have told me that he really was a pain in the butt but again odd timing.

Now contrast that with Jordan's handling.In a year where he was theoretically fighting for an extension he lets Jordan continue playing the while he stopped going to class and disappeared multiple times.

With Harrison he tried to come off as some kind of Father Flanagan when it suited his purpose but when he needed to win Jordan played.

When Harrison was suspended SJ was 16-12, having lost four of their last six in February when they're supposed to be playing their best ball, with these remaining four games: Providence on the road, #24 ND on the road, #15 marquette at home, and Villanova @MSG. Coincidence? Not bloody likely.

Oh the bright side LAvin did go on to win the one post season game of his storied career, beating mighty St Joe's. So there's that.

I guess sort of. A coincidence requires two events to occur concurrently without any apparent connection. I'm postulating a connection between SJ losing a bunch of games and facing a bunch more losses and Harrison getting suspended so that Lavin would have an excuse for losing those games, 9 out of his last 11. Because otherwise he'd have to face up to the fact that he sucks. And in fact I think Lavin is so lacking in self-awareness that he might have sabotaged himself unconsciously while at the same time portraying himself in a sympathetic and heroic light. Because he's completely coo coo for cocoa puffs. It's true that if what I think is true is false then there was a coincidence of which I'm not aware. But as I said I find it unlikely that what I believe to be true is false, because if I thought it were false I wouldn't think it was true.

« Reply #525 on: January 23, 2018, 05:13:56 PM »

Probably on paper the 3nd best class since I have been a fan. Lopez / Hamilton class would be one and Sealy /Werdann two.

I'd agree with that assessment though Tarik did come with Felipe and Zendon . . .

Artest, Jessie, Crooks, Felton was considered a pretty good class as well.  More bust than boom though besides Metta.

« Reply #526 on: January 23, 2018, 05:19:56 PM »

I'd agree with that assessment though Tarik did come with Felipe and Zendon . . .

Artest, Jessie, Crooks, Felton was considered a pretty good class as well.  More bust than boom though besides Metta.

Tarik was highly regarded I believe. Oak Hill correct?

« Reply #527 on: January 23, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »
Yes and yes.

goredmen

« Reply #528 on: January 23, 2018, 05:35:25 PM »

I guess sort of. A coincidence requires two events to occur concurrently without any apparent connection. I'm postulating a connection between SJ losing a bunch of games and facing a bunch more losses and Harrison getting suspended so that Lavin would have an excuse for losing those games, 9 out of his last 11. Because otherwise he'd have to face up to the fact that he sucks. And in fact I think Lavin is so lacking in self-awareness that he might have sabotaged himself unconsciously while at the same time portraying himself in a sympathetic and heroic light. Because he's completely coo coo for cocoa puffs. It's true that if what I think is true is false then there was a coincidence of which I'm not aware. But as I said I find it unlikely that what I believe to be true is false, because if I thought it were false I wouldn't think it was true.

Don't forget Lavin's conscious act of self-sabotage when he suspended one of his 6 players and his only big at noon on selection Sunday. Still the one thing that makes me despise that guy

« Reply #529 on: January 23, 2018, 07:57:33 PM »

Delarosa too
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

wpc77

« Reply #530 on: January 23, 2018, 08:05:58 PM »

In that last sentence, you misspelled paid and forgot to put the word got in front of it

« Reply #531 on: January 23, 2018, 11:42:44 PM »

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

A defiant Chris Mullin was asked about his team's record a few times today. His response: "I'm not gonna give up, ever. You're gonna have to put me in the ground and bury me."

« Reply #532 on: January 23, 2018, 11:43:54 PM »

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

A defiant Chris Mullin was asked about his team's record a few times today. His response: "I'm not gonna give up, ever. You're gonna have to put me in the ground and bury me."

And here I was worried....

« Reply #533 on: January 23, 2018, 11:51:58 PM »
And thankfully that should do it for this thread for a while, he said optimistically.

« Reply #534 on: January 23, 2018, 11:57:24 PM »
Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

"I don’t know that give-up word. I’m not about that at all. I’m about jugular vein. Keep coming, keep fighting, keep throwing blows. Keep showing up. That’s what I’m about, and that’s what my players are about. " -- Chris Mullin #sjubb

« Reply #535 on: January 24, 2018, 12:00:17 AM »
Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

"I don’t know that give-up word. I’m not about that at all. I’m about jugular vein. Keep coming, keep fighting, keep throwing blows. Keep showing up. That’s what I’m about, and that’s what my players are about. " -- Chris Mullin #sjubb

The quote that fordham posted and the quote you've posted....  I'm glad he said as much.  But, I'd also expect him to say as much.

Too bad this conference is unforgiving, and ass kickings normally beat words.

« Reply #536 on: January 24, 2018, 12:26:27 AM »

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

Oh great. But I guess there is a chance since he has already put the program in the ground and buried it.

Poison

« Reply #537 on: January 24, 2018, 12:49:36 AM »

Don't forget Lavin's conscious act of self-sabotage when he suspended one of his 6 players and his only big at noon on selection Sunday. Still the one thing that makes me despise that guy

You think that was Lavin’s fault? Was it his weed? There’s this thing called the NCAA. They kinda say what goes. Obekpa failed a drug test. Lavin paid the price with his job. Mullin has recruited a kid that assaulted a police officer, a kid with a criminal record and a kid who changed his mind after he was already in classes at the school.

Mullin was brought here to bring the hard working NYC persona back to the school. I don’t see it anywhere in our style of play, and I certainly don’t see it from him.

Instead we have
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:51:21 AM by Poison »

« Reply #538 on: January 24, 2018, 12:56:52 AM »

You think that was Lavin’s fault? Was it his weed? There’s this thing called the NCAA. They kinda say what goes. Obekpa failed a drug test. Lavin paid the price with his job. Mullin has recruited a kid that assaulted a police officer, a kid with a criminal record and a kid who changed his mind after he was already in classes at the school.

Mullin was brought here to bring the hard working NYC persona back to the school. I don’t see it anywhere in our style of play, and I certainly don’t see it from him.

Instead we have

Yeah, goredmen.  IIRC, Obekpa was suspended by the NCAA because he failed the piss test.  That had nothing to do with Lavin.

The only egregious (I wouldn't even call it that, either....  a bit of poor judgement) thing Lavin may have done leading up to the tournament was mentioning DJ Kennedy was done for the season a couple of days before the NCAA Tournament Selection Show.  It likely cost us a seed.  Instead of being a 5th seed, we ended up being a 6th seed.

goredmen

« Reply #539 on: January 24, 2018, 01:06:46 AM »

Instead we have

Yeah, goredmen.  IIRC, Obekpa was suspended by the NCAA because he failed the piss test.  That had nothing to do with Lavin.

The only egregious (I wouldn't even call it that, either....  a bit of poor judgement) thing Lavin may have done leading up to the tournament was mentioning DJ Kennedy was done for the season a couple of days before the NCAA Tournament Selection Show.  It likely cost us a seed.  Instead of being a 5th seed, we ended up being a 6th seed.

You don't recall correctly. He was suspended by the team. The NCAA had nothing to do with it. And while it was assumed it was because of a failed drug test, there was no official statement confirming that. Just a "violation of team rules".

http://www.espn.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12488855/st-john-suspends-c-chris-obekpa-2-weeks-miss-postseason-games

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031515aaa.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 01:11:22 AM by goredmen »