Shamorie Ponds NBA Potential

• 106 replies

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
Shamorie Ponds NBA Potential
« on: January 22, 2018, 02:20:52 PM »
NBADraft.net has Shamorie Ponds as the last pick of the 2019 NBA Draft. I personally think that's way too low and I truly believe he could be picked in the 12-17 range by next season.

I think there are two solid comparisons for Ponds. Kris Dunn and Kemba Walker. I think both are a bit more explosive than Ponds but Ponds has a very crafty and agile athleticism. He has a great mid-range jump shot and he has a lot of dribble drive moves. He's an underrated passer and defender. I personally think he's a better passer and rebounder than Kemba was as a sophomore and junior but Kemba was a better scorer.

However, I don't think Shamorie is far off. I think what's hurt Shamorie's three ball this year was them trying to get him to play off ball and letting Lovett and Simon be more of the ball handlers. I think Shamorie needs the ball in his hand and he needs to create. If he can work on that and develop his ability to hit catch and shoot 3's, I think he could be, at least, a 35% shooter from 3. The other thing he'll need to work on is adding a little more muscle and focusing on drawing contact when he gets to the rim. He needs to know when and how to draw more fouls to get to the line.

His usage rate is almost where Kemba's was as a junior and Ponds has the same turnover% that Kemba had as a junior.

Shamorie has a Kyrie/Isaiah Thomas like ability to use the glass while driving (he isn't Kyrie and Isaiah is more athletic) and his ability to stop on a dime and hit a mid-range jumper is key. If he can add a floater, become a better off-ball player (look at the 3 he missed against Georgetown and then the one he hit), and learn how to draw contact more, he could be a dynamic player in the NBA. I think Kemba Walker would be his ceiling.

But maybe I'm biased. What do you guys think?

Re: Shamorie Ponds NBA Potential
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 02:33:33 PM »
NBADraft.net has Shamorie Ponds as the last pick of the 2019 NBA Draft. I personally think that's way too low and I truly believe he could be picked in the 12-17 range by next season.

I think there are two solid comparisons for Ponds. Kris Dunn and Kemba Walker. I think both are a bit more explosive than Ponds but Ponds has a very crafty and agile athleticism. He has a great mid-range jump shot and he has a lot of dribble drive moves. He's an underrated passer and defender. I personally think he's a better passer and rebounder than Kemba was as a sophomore and junior but Kemba was a better scorer.

However, I don't think Shamorie is far off. I think what's hurt Shamorie's three ball this year was them trying to get him to play off ball and letting Lovett and Simon be more of the ball handlers. I think Shamorie needs the ball in his hand and he needs to create. If he can work on that and develop his ability to hit catch and shoot 3's, I think he could be, at least, a 35% shooter from 3. The other thing he'll need to work on is adding a little more muscle and focusing on drawing contact when he gets to the rim. He needs to know when and how to draw more fouls to get to the line.

His usage rate is almost where Kemba's was as a junior and Ponds has the same turnover% that Kemba had as a junior.

Shamorie has a Kyrie/Isaiah Thomas like ability to use the glass while driving (he isn't Kyrie and Isaiah is more athletic) and his ability to stop on a dime and hit a mid-range jumper is key. If he can add a floater, become a better off-ball player (look at the 3 he missed against Georgetown and then the one he hit), and learn how to draw contact more, he could be a dynamic player in the NBA. I think Kemba Walker would be his ceiling.

This post just gave Marillac a chubby

goredmen

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:33:41 PM »

Crack is a really powerful drug kids
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:33:57 PM by goredmen »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:48:46 PM »

I'm sure NBA scouts are drooling at the prospect of taking a guard who is undersized, subpar on defense, and shoots under 20% from the 3 pt arc....

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 03:07:26 PM »

I'm the biggest Ponds fan going but Dunn and Walker are bad comps. Both are super athletes while Ponds is above average. And Dunn is like 6'3 225. Ponds seems to be more in the Mo Williams and Seth Curry category with a poor man's Steph Curry as his ceiling if his skills develop.

You can have your opinions on who was better between our guards the last 20 years, but Ponds is the best NBA guard prospect we've had in the 21st century. Better than Barkley and Cook and certainly better than Hatten, Hardy, and Harrison.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 03:13:12 PM »

I'm the biggest Ponds fan going but Dunn and Walker are bad comps. Both are super athletes while Ponds is above average. And Dunn is like 6'3 225. Ponds seems to be more in the Mo Williams and Seth Curry category with a poor man's Steph Curry as his ceiling if his skills develop.

You can have your opinions on who was better between our guards the last 20 years, but Ponds is the best NBA guard prospect we've had in the 21st century. Better than Barkley and Cook and certainly better than Hatten, Hardy, and Harrison.

Steph Curry?
If he develops his skills? You mean if he can develop his shooting skills from 19% from college line to that of the best shooter on the planet.
That would be like asking a guy with a 5 inch penis to develop his penis to be Dirk Diggler size. Not happening!

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 03:14:04 PM »

I'm sure NBA scouts are drooling at the prospect of taking a guard who is undersized, subpar on defense, and shoots under 20% from the 3 pt arc....

How about a 90% FT shooter that can score at every level with perfect touch on his passes and elite NBA vision? Get this kid a capable ball handler to play with and he will be draining threes all over the court. He is going to be a plus plus NBA shooter that can get into his shot from any spot inside the half court in one dribble.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 03:16:46 PM »

Steph Curry?
If he develops his skills? You mean if he can develop his shooting skills from 19% from college line to that of the best shooter on the planet.
That would be like asking a guy with a 5 inch penis to develop his penis to be Dirk Diggler size. Not happening!

He shot 38% last year on 6 attempts per game. He can't do it alone. Look at his FT % when he doesn't have to rely on the trash he shares a roster with. You're not that dumb WASJU. You know he has no support.

goredmen

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 03:21:44 PM »

I don't think anybody would disagree with this but not really a high bar to clear there, and he's not head and shoulders above Barkley and Cook. His lack of supreme athleticism is going to hurt him and he's got no shot if he doesn't considerably improve his 3 point %

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 03:26:09 PM »

Steph Curry?

He shot 38% last year on 6 attempts per game. He can't do it alone. Look at his FT % when he doesn't have to rely on the trash he shares a roster with. You're not that dumb WASJU. You know he has no support.

He plays with better guys than Curry ever did.
Curry lifetime  in college 47%, 41 %, 88%
Ponds career so far 42%, 31%, 83%
Can't believe we are discussing this.
Dave had best comparison when Ponds was coming in to school, "Poor man's Cuttino Mobley"
Mobley was listed at 6-4 though.
BTW Mobley shot 44%, 35%, 82%

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 03:33:06 PM »
Barkley was a much better defender. Also had better PG skills. Certainly not as good of a shooter or scorer. How many skinny off guards out there

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 03:38:37 PM »

Steph Curry?

Dave had best comparison when Ponds was coming in to school, "Poor man's Cuttino Mobley"

That whole Davidson team could dribble and pass. Not one of his teammates can on SJU. Ponds is a sharp shooter. It's crazy to me that you can't see past this slump while he plays without a capabale second ball hander. He'll be near 40% next year on 7 attempts and I'll pull this thread up.

He'd eat up Trevon Duval if the squads were even close to even...probably with them as they are too.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 03:39:49 PM »
Barkley was a much better defender. Also had better PG skills. Certainly not as good of a shooter or scorer. How many skinny off guards out there
He was also 30. Ponds has an exponentially higher PG ceiling than Barkley. I like the idea of him on the Knicks with Frank the tank.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:41:23 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 03:41:40 PM »

Steph Curry?

That whole Davidson team could dribble and pass. Not one of his teammates can on SJU. Ponds is a sharp shooter. It's crazy to me that you can't see past this slump while he plays without a capabale second ball hander. He'll be near 40% next year on 7 attempts and I'll pull this thread up.

He'd eat up Trevon Duval if the squads were even close to even...probably with them as they are too.

So you have moved on from Hardy and Hatten comparisons to Steph Curry and you don't think you have gone a little cuckoo bananas?

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 03:46:35 PM »

Steph Curry?

If Ponds went to Duke or Kentucky,  where would he be in mock drafts?

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 03:46:42 PM »
I think it should be noted that Ponds is putting up similar and even better numbers than Kemba put up in his sophomore year. In Kemba's junior year, he had a freshman Jeremy Lamb and Shabazz Napier to play with. Ponds is doing this without any real help and he is still able to find and create his shot. It'll all depend on how he develops next season.

It should also be noted that Ponds dropped 40 on Lonzo Ball in high school and, I might be wrong on this, but he beat Isaiah Whitehead and Lincoln as a freshman.

In his last two games he's 5/13 from deep. I really think what you saw throughout the year was just a slump and he wasn't suited to play off the ball as much. Right now, he needs the ball in his hands and to create his shot. Look at the Georgetown game. His last two 3 pointers. The first was a catch and shoot from the corner, the other was a hesi pull-up.

That's a place where he'll need to develop. Becoming a better off-ball player, adding a floater, drawing more fouls. Those are easily fixable.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 03:50:01 PM »

Steph Curry?

If Ponds went to Duke or Kentucky,  where would he be in mock drafts?

Mid first round. He's good enough to start on any team in the country.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 03:52:54 PM »
I think it should be noted that Ponds is putting up similar and even better numbers than Kemba put up in his sophomore year. In Kemba's junior year, he had a freshman Jeremy Lamb and Shabazz Napier to play with. Ponds is doing this without any real help and he is still able to find and create his shot. It'll all depend on how he develops next season.

It should also be noted that Ponds dropped 40 on Lonzo Ball in high school and, I might be wrong on this, but he beat Isaiah Whitehead and Lincoln as a freshman.

In his last two games he's 5/13 from deep. I really think what you saw throughout the year was just a slump and he wasn't suited to play off the ball as much. Right now, he needs the ball in his hands and to create his shot. Look at the Georgetown game. His last two 3 pointers. The first was a catch and shoot from the corner, the other was a hesi pull-up.

That's a place where he'll need to develop. Becoming a better off-ball player, adding a floater, drawing more fouls. Those are easily fixable.

There is no questioning his shot. It's elite. It will start to fall and when it does he'll hit 40 pts a few times. He also has a great floater already...he could stand to use it more often.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »

However, I don't think Shamorie is far off. I think what's hurt Shamorie's three ball this year was them trying to get him to play off ball and letting Lovett and Simon be more of the ball handlers. I think Shamorie needs the ball in his hand and he needs to create. If he can work on that and develop his ability to hit catch and shoot 3's, I think he could be, at least, a 35% shooter from 3.

Shamorie if anything was given the ball in his hands more this season, even when Lovett was healthy. . His poor % this  year is a product of a bunch of things. Poor shot selection and defensive attention being two of the bigger ones. Lovett or another guard in addition to Simon to get in lane and find him will help.

I think hes an nba player.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 03:55:31 PM »

Steph Curry?

Nick van Exel was best comp IMO
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.