2 year plan...

• 165 replies

goredmen

Re: 2 year plan...
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »
...talking to someone I respect and who knows SJU basketball that is the target now.  They are recalibrating.  Meaning the initial hope was to have a big time team by year 4, next year, but at this point that maybe too much to ask.

So two year plan starting after this year.

What does this mean?

Again this year is turning into a disaster, but they hope to squeeze 5 or 6 more wins out of this team.  Keep the roster intact and mesh the new transfers and recruits into next season.  The hope is to make a serious turnaround next season, 10 or 11 League wins and an NCAA bid.

To help do that Chris will look at a staff change this year.  But more importantly he, as you see recently, will be all over recruiting.  Wants to land 1 or 2 real impact recruits in 2019.  Because...

2019-20 is the second year of the 2 year plan to get SJU nipping on the heals of Villanova.

So in closing:
1)Finish this year as competitive as possible and hope for some wins.  Acknowledge it was not a good year and make some changes including potentially a staff change.
2)Recruit hard this spring and summer and get some 19 kids on board early, one's that can make a difference and an impact immediately. 
3)Coach up the 18-19 squad into a middle of the pack BE team if not better and then
4)Combine some difference making recruits in 19 with the returning team and be ready to make a big splash in 19-20 (year 5 of the Mullin experiment).

Who on the staff could potentially be replaced and by whom?

I know I'm not the only one who has the position that Mitch serves no purpose as a full AC and should be in Keady's chair.  From there he can still serve his purpose which is to teach shooting and shake recruits hands on campus while wearing his HOF ring or jacket or whatever they have.

Replace him with an experienced assistant, preferably one who can do some XnOs as well as recruit, even if Mullin refuses to ask anyone to leave outright., 
Exactly

Would Mitch accept a demotion at this point or would they have to get rid of him entirely?

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 05:50:20 PM »
Until I see a real coaching staff around Mullin, I have little faith.  He needs to realize this is sink or swim.  Currently he is drowning.

Be clear I am not personally asking for faith or anything.  I am telling you what is going to be expected.

Even if you are a pessimist it is not that bad.  Unless you honestly felt his job was in jeopardy which no realistic person ever felt.
I am not a pessimist. Still he has no chance. Did i think he would be fired ? Sadly no. I still hope he quits, every loss makes that more and more possible.
This time frame or whatever it is  could be possible if he was competent. Not expecting that. Still think it’s 50-50 he gets an extension. Plenty of old guys with money.

Me Tony, fire good, saber tooth tiger and Mullin bad. I like cave.

I guess Norm drove Realfan to his ransom note style all caps posts and now Mullin has driven Tony into caveman posts.
I think you have to get a job or maybe go to foady’s for happy hour. Dick Vitale and Walter berry was the dumbest idea I ever heard. As was giving an extension to a coach with lower the .200 wining percentage.

Sadly I think I gave you too much credit with that caveman thing.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 06:47:16 PM »
...talking to someone I respect and who knows SJU basketball that is the target now.  They are recalibrating.  Meaning the initial hope was to have a big time team by year 4, next year, but at this point that maybe too much to ask.

What does this mean?

Again this year is turning into a disaster, but they hope to squeeze 5 or 6 more wins out of this team.  Keep the roster intact and mesh the new transfers and recruits into next season.  The hope is to make a serious turnaround next season, 10 or 11 League wins and an NCAA bid.

To help do that Chris will look at a staff change this year.  But more importantly he, as you see recently, will be all over recruiting.  Wants to land 1 or 2 real impact recruits in 2019.  Because...

2019-20 is the second year of the 2 year plan to get SJU nipping on the heals of Villanova.

So in closing:
1)Finish this year as competitive as possible and hope for some wins.  Acknowledge it was not a good year and make some changes including potentially a staff change.
2)Recruit hard this spring and summer and get some 19 kids on board early, one's that can make a difference and an impact immediately. 
3)Coach up the 18-19 squad into a middle of the pack BE team if not better and then
4)Combine some difference making recruits in 19 with the returning team and be ready to make a big splash in 19-20 (year 5 of the Mullin experiment).

If this team starts to play better basketball and actually wins 5 or 6 games then maybe I'll buy back in. This whole "they are close" thing is not what I'm buying. They have been close in a few games (mostly G'town games) to winning, however that's 1 win. Can they put together a few wins in a row? Can they scrap their way to 5 or 6? If they do that then we can talk.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »

What does this mean?

So in closing:

If this team starts to play better basketball and actually wins 5 or 6 games then maybe I'll buy back in. This whole "they are close" thing is not what I'm buying. They have been close in a few games (mostly G'town games) to winning, however that's 1 win. Can they put together a few wins in a row? Can they scrap their way to 5 or 6? If they do that then we can talk.

I agree they aren't necessarily close to winning all these games but one thing is they are more competitive in their losses especially to better teams.  It is a small consolation..

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 10:10:43 PM »
bait click

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 12:28:44 AM »
What's the hurry? Just restart the original 5 year plan. 5 more years! 5 more years! 5 more years!

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 08:38:15 AM »
I don't think there is a need for a two-year plan. This can be salvaged next season for sure.

(1) Name Owens, Clark, and Yakwe captains to keep them all here for next year.
(2) Add a true PG... a 3* high school kid is fine, but a grad transfer or JUCO works.
(3) Hire a seasoned college coach to replace Richmond -- his biggest value to the team is being around for recruits.
(4) Stop being stubborn and run a zone defense. 1-3-1 win Simon at the top. Change to a 2-3 and man liberally in game.
(5) Stress offensive rebounding.
(6) Put 20 lbs of muscle on Owens.

Even just four of those turns this into a clear tournament team IMO.

SJUFAN

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 06:12:59 PM »
I don't think there is a need for a two-year plan. This can be salvaged next season for sure.

(2) Add a true PG... a 3* high school kid is fine, but a grad transfer or JUCO works.
(3) Hire a seasoned college coach to replace Richmond -- his biggest value to the team is being around for recruits.
(4) Stop being stubborn and run a zone defense. 1-3-1 win Simon at the top. Change to a 2-3 and man liberally in game.

Think we need way more than that. I agree we need to add a coach who will stress perimeter ball pressure and boxing out, not necessarily a zone. Players need to learn to rotate and move when the ball is in the air, not on the catch. That's coaching. 
We need to add players who will allow us to  1. dribble penetrate 2. shoot the ball. 3. play with their back to the basket. 4. rebound.

I think the players we are bringing in will help improve the overall skill level of the team, but they will be freshman/first year in the BE players so there will be an adjustment period. The key will be if there is a change to the coaching staff.

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »

Think we need way more than that. I agree we need to add a coach who will stress perimeter ball pressure and boxing out, not necessarily a zone. Players need to learn to rotate and move when the ball is in the air, not on the catch. That's coaching. 
We need to add players who will allow us to  1. dribble penetrate 2. shoot the ball. 3. play with their back to the basket. 4. rebound.

I think the players we are bringing in will help improve the overall skill level of the team, but they will be freshman/first year in the BE players so there will be an adjustment period. The key will be if there is a change to the coaching staff.
and therein lies next year's excuse...we brought in 6 new players, they need time to acclimate, they need experience, blah, blah, blah and the beat will go on. There is always an excuse with this program, the problem is they're all bullshit which is why things never get better. There was supposed to be no excuses this year with the floor being the NIT but now the excuse for no NIT is losing LoVett. There are no excuses for 0-9 in BE and heading for further disaster. This team should have already won some conference games. LoVett an excuse for maybe no NCAA but not for a total disaster. Bet some of same posters making excuses had us in NCAA and complained we were only picked 5th or 6th in BE.

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 08:42:39 PM »

and therein lies next year's excuse...we brought in 6 new players, they need time to acclimate, they need experience, blah, blah, blah and the beat will go on. There is always an excuse with this program, the problem is they're all bullshit which is why things never get better. There was supposed to be no excuses this year with the floor being the NIT but now the excuse for no NIT is losing LoVett. There are no excuses for 0-9 in BE and heading for further disaster. This team should have already won some conference games. LoVett an excuse for maybe no NCAA but not for a total disaster. Bet some of same posters making excuses had us in NCAA and complained we were only picked 5th or 6th in BE.

First off let's not act like all the players coming back next year are NEW.  It's a mesh and will add depth.

Again it is a 2 year recalibration but no way is next year a throwaway year.  That is not how the staff or the administration wants it to be or is selling it to be.

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2018, 08:47:16 PM »
And Keita and Dixon are practicing with these guys right now, Diakite is at least attending I would assume, so they should be able to fit in easily.  Simon and Clark did.  They just all need some coaching so they have an idea what they are supposed be doing when actually in the game.  They look lost, all the time, on both ends of the floor.

This crew is not talent-less.  They're not even just a group of athletes, most have some basketball skills.  But look at any player and tell me how what they do on the court is taking advantage of their strengths while trying to avoid their weaknesses.  Yes a real PG would help but that's not the only thing that would make this product at least more watchable and likely more successful.

NYCoffey

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2018, 09:24:40 PM »
Didn’t read through the pages of bitching, but how about bringing Dunlap back. Sorry if it was brought up before but the man can teach. He’s a head coach now so it would be difficult but worth a call.

ras

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 10:27:23 PM »
Didn’t read through the pages of bitching, but how about bringing Dunlap back. Sorry if it was brought up before but the man can teach. He’s a head coach now so it would be difficult but worth a call.
I think most posters would love to have Dunlap back. But, don’t see it happening. He’s exactly what Mullin needs.

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2018, 10:37:56 PM »
I think most posters would love to have Dunlap back. But, don’t see it happening. He’s exactly what Mullin needs.

There are other coaches out there, who can do the job, other than Dunlap.  Besides, recruiting isn't particularly his forte. 

goredmen

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 11:01:51 PM »

There are other coaches out there, who can do the job, other than Dunlap.  Besides, recruiting isn't particularly his forte. 

If the staff is going to get completely blown up and Mullin is hiring 3 new assistants he will need a guy like Dunlap. The way I see it he needs 3 types of guys and my following examples are just examples and not necessarily the people I want/expect to get or even think about reaching out to.

Mullin needs 1 guy that is 100% X's and O's. A guy like Dunlap would be ideal. A guy who has been around the block more than a few times with his most recent experience being in college.

He needs 1 guy that is 100% recruiting. If Matt is out then maybe a guy like Kimani Young from Minnesota who knows and recruits this area well and has proven he can bring in talent.

And 1 guy that is 50% recruiting and 50% X's and O's. A guy like Mike Rice fits that bill.

That's what I would like to see and I believe this is what Mullin envisioned when he brought in the original staff when he first got the job. Matt as the 100% recruiter, Slice as the 50/50 guy and GSJ as the 100% Xs and Os guy. Even if Mullin does surround himself with a competent staff, he himself still has to become MUCH better and MUCH more involved in both aspects as well
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:03:12 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2018, 11:06:03 PM »

If the staff is going to get completely blown up and Mullin is hiring 3 new assistants he will need a guy like Dunlap. The way I see it he needs 3 types of guys and my following examples are just examples and not necessarily the people I want/expect to get or even think about reaching out to.

Mullin needs 1 guy that is 100% X's and O's. A guy like Dunlap would be ideal. A guy who has been around the block more than a few times with his most recent experience being in college.

He needs 1 guy that is 100% recruiting. If Matt is out then maybe a guy like Kimani Young from Minnesota who knows and recruits this area well and has proven he can bring in talent.

And 1 guy that is 50% recruiting and 50% X's and O's. A guy like Mike Rice fits that bill.

That's what I would like to see and I believe this is what Mullin envisioned when he brought in the original staff when he first got the job. Matt as the 100% recruiter, Slice as the 50/50 guy and GSJ as the 100% Xs and Os guy.

I would have no problem with that particular type of balance.  Actually, I'd say that would certainly suffice.

Even if Mullin does surround himself with a competent staff, he himself still has to become MUCH better and MUCH more involved in both aspects as well

Concur.  He's a bit too lax on the sidelines and a bit too lethargic on the recruiting trail.

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2018, 11:29:56 PM »
I wouldn't assume the entire staff is gone...

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2018, 11:31:36 PM »
Staff needs to compliment each other. Mike rice and Dunlap would kill each other. We need to figure out how we want to play and bring in coaches who know that system. Usually the head coach has established some kind of system.
I think you have to bring in someone to work with the big men. We have to bring in guys with similar philosophies.
Cleaning house would be a good step. (Would prefer they all go) not expecting it.

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 12:04:10 AM »

That's what I would like to see and I believe this is what Mullin envisioned when he brought in the original staff when he first got the job. Matt as the 100% recruiter, Slice as the 50/50 guy and GSJ as the 100% Xs and Os guy. Even if Mullin does surround himself with a competent staff, he himself still has to become MUCH better and MUCH more involved in both aspects as well

Blowing up the whole staff would be crazy. Simply replace Richmond with a guy who has plenty of experience coaching in college who can get the guys to defend and rebound. St. Jean is fine offensicely. They just have too much NBA input.

I hate Matt A's slimy ways but we need him to fill out the roster creatively. That's our only chance going forward.

Nobody could win with this group. They were one decent guard away from staying afloat.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:04:50 AM by Marillac »

goredmen

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 12:12:58 AM »

Blowing up the whole staff would be crazy. Simply replace Richmond with a guy who has plenty of experience coaching in college who can get the guys to defend and rebound. St. Jean is fine offensicely. They just have too much NBA input.

I hate Matt A's slimy ways but we need him to fill out the roster creatively. That's our only chance going forward.

Nobody could win with this group. They were one decent guard away from staying afloat.

Im not suggesting to blow up the staff just what I would want to see if they do blow it up. But I also think Richmond has to go and I don't know what you see with St. Jean being good offensively. The way this team runs their offense I'm not sure anybody is actually coaching offense there.

Nobody can win with this group, but a competent staff would not be 0-9. Not even close to that bad.