Bars around Campus

• 34 replies

Tha Kid

Bars around Campus
« on: December 16, 2008, 10:20:16 AM »
Doesn't really apply to me anymore since I graduated, but I was really pissed Last Call went under and was bought out by VERIZON.  That spot had been a bar since my parents were at St. John's in the late 70s and probably before.  It was a hole in the wall, but it was actually the one fun thing a bunch of law kids did on thursday nights, and other nights I was there I remember frat/sorority mixers goin on. 

Galloping green I've been to but NEVER seen it have more than 5-10 people unless a party was organized.  Traditions was legit, love the beer pong upstairs, cheap beer too, but it's a little bit of a hike from school.

Sly Fox is legit for a drink for a law school student or working guy, but I didn't think it'd be that fun a place for college age kids.

Where do the undergrads go?
"I drink and I know things"

Re: Bars around Campus
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 02:55:23 PM »
Last Call was Gantrys? I used to love JPOD's, was there the night Felipe commited-the DJ announced it and the place went nuts

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 03:19:58 PM »
Yeah Last Call was Gantry's....what's JPODs?

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 03:24:57 PM »

JPODS was a big bar right down the street from Gantrys. on Union TPKE
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 03:25:15 PM by Marco Baldi »

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:28:32 PM »

WOW..  JPOD's was a legendary St. John's bar. One of the former owners, Jimmy Prendegast was a St. Francis Prep hoops player and a good family friend.

Had many a beer there from 1987 until it closed.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »
Doesn't really apply to me anymore since I graduated, but I was really pissed Last Call went under and was bought out by VERIZON.  That spot had been a bar since my parents were at St. John's in the late 70s and probably before.  It was a hole in the wall, but it was actually the one fun thing a bunch of law kids did on thursday nights, and other nights I was there I remember frat/sorority mixers goin on. 

Galloping green I've been to but NEVER seen it have more than 5-10 people unless a party was organized.  Traditions was legit, love the beer pong upstairs, cheap beer too, but it's a little bit of a hike from school.

Sly Fox is legit for a drink for a law school student or working guy, but I didn't think it'd be that fun a place for college age kids.

It's a shame that the Gantry's/Last call spot is not a bar.  Verizon is a powerhouse and unlikely to relinquish that prime real estate anytime soon. 

Traditions is just too far from campus. 

Did you live on campus for law school, tha kid?

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 03:46:10 PM »

It's a shame that the Gantry's/Last call spot is not a bar.  Verizon is a powerhouse and unlikely to relinquish that prime real estate anytime soon. 

Nah --- I lived on Austin St. in Forest Hills and drove to school.  Knew some people who lived in the off-campus apartments on Union and I guess it was just easy --- any law student I know who tried the dorms moved out after 1 semester because its especially tough to take the curfew/no girls allowed rules as a college graduate....

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »

Nah --- I lived on Austin St. in Forest Hills and drove to school.  Knew some people who lived in the off-campus apartments on Union and I guess it was just easy --- any law student I know who tried the dorms moved out after 1 semester because its especially tough to take the curfew/no girls allowed rules as a college graduate....

I can imagine.  It was tough to take when I was an undergrad. Humiliating actually.  I had to sneak my gf at the time in to spend the weekend when I was 21, but I could stay at her school in Ithaca for literally as long as I wanted and the girl started college at 16 (I was 18 at the time). 

They wouldn't even let me have my sister come in to see my suite after she dropped back off at school one Sunday night.  She thought that was hysterical. 

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 07:49:16 PM »
Yea the rules shouldn't apply to good part of the student body. However there is a certain amount they do apply to. The thing is they should protect the campus from outside in rather than inside out.

A girl in my junior year supposedly got gang raped even though word of mouth everyone knew she was a promiscuous girl. She let them in through her window which she snuck them in. St. John's answer to the solution was to bolt down everyone's window who lived on the first floor restricting them from access to fresh air. This is a typical St. John's solution instead of saying why were these non-students on campus to begin with?

St. John's always cuts down the tree instead of throwing out the bad apples.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »
trads it probably the closest bar in the area that kids can get into. there was this bar by my house where i lived. About 15 mins walk from school. its a legit bar but the beers are pretty cheap. its like a bar people in the area go to. any night my roommates and i hit it up, we were the youngest by about 10 yrs. but everybody was always friendly and would always offer us drinks. the place is called fillmore's tavern. and serious have the best wings i ever had. and the bluecheese is homemade and is really good. before or after a game i would say hit it up

http://fillmorestavern.com/

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 11:19:33 PM »
trads it probably the closest bar in the area that kids can get into. there was this bar by my house where i lived. About 15 mins walk from school. its a legit bar but the beers are pretty cheap. its like a bar people in the area go to. any night my roommates and i hit it up, we were the youngest by about 10 yrs. but everybody was always friendly and would always offer us drinks. the place is called fillmore's tavern. and serious have the best wings i ever had. and the bluecheese is homemade and is really good. before or after a game i would say hit it up

http://fillmorestavern.com/

fillmores is a cool low key joint to watch a game. Wings are really good and cheap. Also like the fact they serve peanuts. If you're looking to pick up chicks fillmores is definitely not the place.

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 11:22:21 PM »
If their isnt that many bars around campus, what the hell do the kids in the dorms do for fun?

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 11:23:41 PM »
If their isnt that many bars around campus, what the hell do the kids in the dorms do for fun?

They all pack in the attic of traditions pub until they turn 21 and realize NY has so much more to offer.

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 11:28:11 PM »

They all pack in the attic of traditions pub until they turn 21 and realize NY has so much more to offer.

Where is Traditions?

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 11:32:15 PM »
164th and Grand Central

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 01:26:15 AM »
before gantry's, it was the frontier palace.  that place and poor richard's pub in the middle of the next block closer to st john's were always packed.  nys changing the drinking age from 18 to 21 killed them.

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 10:46:16 PM »
Now a days... A bus ride away they can hit up Austin street in Forest Hills to 5 boro's or Bartini's!

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 06:58:42 PM »
On wensdays nights Igguanna's on Union Turnpike is pretty crowded with college kids for dollar beers, but they are strict with ID's most of the time.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
On wensdays nights Igguanna's on Union Turnpike is pretty crowded with college kids for dollar beers, but they are strict with ID's most of the time.

That was a nice well kept secret during my time. Owner and I share the same birthday so I'd always get a few drinks on the house when I was there. It was funny people would go to Iguanas for $1 beers and run over to gantrys/last call for the women. You'd make a few trips back and forth during the course of the night.

Tha Kid

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »
Now a days... A bus ride away they can hit up Austin street in Forest Hills to 5 boro's or Bartini's!

5 Burros is a great spot for Mex food and maragaritas...but the bar area is tiny...have not been to bartini's but heard great things...sounds a lil too classy for me  ;)