Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies

Marillac

Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #660 on: February 08, 2016, 12:29:52 AM »
FWIW, I think in a pure one-on-one scenario, Ponds would school all three. 

By the way, I generally defer to you on recruiting because I think you watch a lot more games than I do.
But I don't know how you come away thinking that Ponds is a better player one on one than Whitehead, Briscoe, or Alkins.       I don't see that.
Whitehead and Alkins especially are physical beasts.   They can go to the rim and drive through contact.  That's rare   

I think all three are better suited for the next level because of their size, but Ponds is a slippery, crafty f*ck with a much better shot than all of them and a midrange game. That is a tough combination to defend. I think he'd make them all look silly more often than the other way around.  The other guys can have bigger impacts on the game in other areas like the glass and defending multiple positions, but give me Ponds one on one with the clock winding down any day. And I really like Briscoe.

Wods317

« Reply #661 on: February 08, 2016, 10:03:39 AM »
If he comes he will play at least one season, even if he is only a partial qualifier.  He is a guard and guards are never drafted on potential out of HS.  He needs to show he can do it on the D-1 level.  Thon Maker situation is different.
Truth. Guards need at least one year in D1 to be drafted on potential.  They need that one year to show they have that potential.  Look up Lenny Cooke for example.

Additionally, Alkins needs to prove that his advanced age and body are not the primary reasons for much of his success. He could very easily find himself playing four years on college otherwise.

If Rawle commits to us and leaves before ever playing a game that would be a terrible decision for him. It very well could happen if he is a partial qualifier but hopefully he would have someone with some brains to advise him against that. Teams want to see him play against men that are his size and his strength. It's not like he's a lock for a top 5-10 pick next year as it is so if he never played college ball be hard to see him as anything other then a second rounder.

paultzman

« Reply #662 on: February 08, 2016, 03:16:59 PM »
  ‏@AdamZagoria

Rawle Alkins to Visit UNLV for Second Official
 https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/rawle-alkins-to-visit-unlv-for-second-official/163951290?tcid=tw_article_163951290 … @Iam_RawleAlkins  @Joshua_Newman @jacklegwin

« Reply #663 on: February 08, 2016, 03:30:15 PM »
How would you guys react if Lav took the UNLV coaching job next season and Rawle committed to him?

« Reply #664 on: February 08, 2016, 03:36:28 PM »
How would you guys react if Lav took the UNLV coaching job next season and Rawle committed to him?

Hope we schedule a home and home.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Wods317

« Reply #665 on: February 08, 2016, 03:48:27 PM »

If it happened Good for Lavin. Guy can recruit when he needs too, we know that.

Moose

« Reply #666 on: February 08, 2016, 08:16:46 PM »

Lavin is the guy who never paid him attention in the first place.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #667 on: February 08, 2016, 08:29:08 PM »
Lets say Alkins is a partial qualifier. What would stop him from doing a Brandon Jennings and playing a year in Europe? Or following Mudiay to play a year in China? These kids have options.

Both guys were top 10 draft picks
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:30:23 PM by braintrust »

goredmen

« Reply #668 on: February 08, 2016, 08:57:05 PM »
Lets say Alkins is a partial qualifier. What would stop him from doing a Brandon Jennings and playing a year in Europe? Or following Mudiay to play a year in China? These kids have options.

Not sure why more kids don't go that route. Getting paid to play in the year between high school and the draft when you have that option just makes more sense than going to college when you have no intention of staying 4 years anyway. Wonder if that'll ever begin to pick up steam

« Reply #669 on: February 08, 2016, 10:43:49 PM »
Unlikely he goes that route. He doesn't seem to like leaving NY let alone the country. Going to be veryyyyy interesting to see what happens.

« Reply #670 on: February 08, 2016, 10:48:32 PM »

Not sure why more kids don't go that route. Getting paid to play in the year between high school and the draft when you have that option just makes more sense than going to college when you have no intention of staying 4 years anyway. Wonder if that'll ever begin to pick up steam

Free housing, basketball practice squad, food, parties and no shortage of college girls vs. Spending some of your own cash, in strange country that has language you don't know and food you may not like.....

I'd go college.

paultzman

« Reply #671 on: February 09, 2016, 07:01:25 PM »

By

Adam Zagoria

After taking an unofficial to Arizona late last month, Rawle Alkins will begin an official visit to the Pac-12 school this weekend.

Rawle racking up frequent flyer points.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:55:21 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #672 on: February 09, 2016, 07:08:32 PM »
Zach B:
"Think this is first time I've ever been blocked by an athlete @Iam_RawleAlkins. Doesn't like the qualifying rumors"

"It's a well known fact in recruiting circles @Iam_RawleAlkins is a major question mark to be eligible."

Oh boy.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:13:21 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #673 on: February 09, 2016, 07:19:59 PM »
More Zach B;

"I wonder how @Iam_RawleAlkins got courtside seats to Knicks-Warriors at MSG recently for entire family? Wasn't from a college."

« Reply #674 on: February 09, 2016, 07:25:36 PM »
Suggestion is that questions about Rawle's eligibility stem not from academic issues but from improper benefits, possibly from a shoe company.

Marillac

« Reply #675 on: February 09, 2016, 07:42:44 PM »
More Zach B;

"I wonder how @Iam_RawleAlkins got courtside seats to Knicks-Warriors at MSG recently for entire family? Wasn't from a college."

Childish and uncalled for. He's a teenager, Zach, and all he did was block you after you announced his private details to the world based on hearsay.  You think you can write whatever you want about someone  carte blanche but can't take a perceived slight from Lavin or even a high school student like Alkins without making them your sworn enemy?

goredmen

« Reply #676 on: February 09, 2016, 07:50:54 PM »
More Zach B;

Childish and uncalled for. He's a teenager, Zach, and all he did was block you after you announced his private details to the world based on hearsay.  You think you can write whatever you want about someone  carte blanche but can't take a perceived slight from Lavin or even a high school student like Alkins without making them your sworn enemy?

Like I've been saying for years, Zach is an entitled POS. He's part of the new age of "journalism" that publishes brash headlines for clicks and pageviews while facts and getting the story right are secondary. These "journalists" will slander anybody for pageviews but once somebody fires back at them they crawl into their little hole and play the victim

« Reply #677 on: February 09, 2016, 08:08:39 PM »
More Zach B;

Agree with you there, Marillac.  He continues to show his true colors.

paultzman

« Reply #678 on: February 09, 2016, 08:16:20 PM »
More Zach B;

Agree with you there, Marillac.  He continues to show his true colors.

Yeah, sometimes things are better left unsaid.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:23:16 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #679 on: February 10, 2016, 12:34:30 AM »
What is zach b's deal?