Start time for Butler game

• 100 replies

Foad

Re: Start time for Butler game
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2016, 10:37:13 PM »
You may not have any respect for Lavin, but when his starters were phoning it in, he started a hard working walk on to make a point, and whether they got the point or not, the coach sent a message.

What message does Mullin send to his players?

I don't know what message he sends. Whatever it is I hope he sends it in practice and the film room and the weight room and all the rest of the time and not via cheap tricks the 120 minutes a week the team is on the court. Lavin started the walk on because he was a ostentatious narcissist. It's just like when he pulled Dom Pointer in front of a TV camera and taught him how to play defense. It had nothing to do with basketball or teaching or learning or lesson and everything to do with Steve Lavin's ego.

TONYD3

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2016, 10:52:11 PM »
You may not have any respect for Lavin, but when his starters were phoning it in, he started a hard working walk on to make a point, and whether they got the point or not, the coach sent a message.

What message does Mullin send to his players?

I don't know what message he sends. Whatever it is I hope he sends it in practice and the film room and the weight room and all the rest of the time and not via cheap tricks the 120 minutes a week the team is on the court. Lavin started the walk on because he was a ostentatious narcissist. It's just like when he pulled Dom Pointer in front of a TV camera and taught him how to play defense. It had nothing to do with basketball or teaching or learning or lesson and everything to do with Steve Lavin's ego.
Drunk or crazy?

Foad

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2016, 10:55:15 PM »

Hey Foad, respect for your opinion but Johnson and his chucks have taken us out of so many possessions and scoring opportunities, they are uncounted turnovers. At least Mvouika hits the occasional 3. Personally, if I didn't see any of the seniors on the court again this season, that would be fine with me. In another thread, some mentioned retiring the numbers 5 and 10. Maybe we need to make that happen now v later.

Mullin has stated he has a soft spot for the seniors and this is their last chance. I wonder if he would feel that way w his job on the line v being in the honeymoon phase? Zach Brazilier just wrote that recruiting article today as a favor to anyone connected to St Johns basketball. We're all jumping out of windows, and the powers that be want us to know that help is on the way.

Mullin is playing the players he's playing now because they are the only players he has. The players who are not young stink and the players who do not stink are young. No one of them, neither the young ones or the stinky ones can be blamed for the collective suck. Each of them does one thing or another poorly and there is enough suck to go around. None of them can shoot. Most of them can barely dribble. None of them play defense. Next year there will be better players replacing the players who stink and the young players will be older and the team will be better. This year is meaningful only to the extent that you have to sit through it to get to next year. All Durand Johnson sitting on the bench would mean is that Alibegovic would be missing all the shots Johnson misses in all the 30 point losses. But if you want to burn him in effigy I guess it's no skin off my nose.

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2016, 11:02:15 PM »

Hey Foad, respect for your opinion but Johnson and his chucks have taken us out of so many possessions and scoring opportunities, they are uncounted turnovers. At least Mvouika hits the occasional 3. Personally, if I didn't see any of the seniors on the court again this season, that would be fine with me. In another thread, some mentioned retiring the numbers 5 and 10. Maybe we need to make that happen now v later.

Mullin has stated he has a soft spot for the seniors and this is their last chance. I wonder if he would feel that way w his job on the line v being in the honeymoon phase? Zach Brazilier just wrote that recruiting article today as a favor to anyone connected to St Johns basketball. We're all jumping out of windows, and the powers that be want us to know that help is on the way.

Mullin is playing the players he's playing now because they are the only players he has. The players who are not young stink and the players who do not stink are young. No one of them, neither the young ones or the stinky ones can be blamed for the collective suck. Each of them does one thing or another poorly and there is enough suck to go around. None of them can shoot. Most of them can barely dribble. None of them play defense. Next year there will be better players replacing the players who stink and the young players will be older and the team will be better. This year is meaningful only to the extent that you have to sit through it to get to next year. All Durand Johnson sitting on the bench would mean is that Alibegovic would be missing all the shots Johnson misses in all the 30 point losses. But if you want to burn him in effigy I guess it's no skin off my nose.

This should be SJU's mission statement
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2016, 11:09:45 PM »
Yesterday was first game at St John's I actually had to leave early because I was so disgusted. I understand the talent is not there I get it. But I am sorry is it so crazy to ask more from GRAD STUDENTS to play hard and not turn the ball over like they are freshman? Turning the ball over sucks period, even if you are under talented you should not be doing that, but find a way to play hard, that is all on coaching!  I could deal with a loss with effort but not with a loss that is lethargic, lazy, and careless especially after coming off the Xavier game. I really hope this is not the beginning of  a pattern from Mullin and Staff when he actually has players. Mindless and Careless basketball is what is the most annoying of the whole thing.
With  that being said, Yakwe  showed flashes of a stud last night-I doubt he sees 4 years here....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:11:10 PM by friendofjohnnie »

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2016, 11:29:28 PM »
Dial played well in his limited minutes 4 pts, 3 rb 1 asst.... and looked like he could move and control the ball.

DJ was atrocious 2-11 from field. Continues to pkay like he feels he's the only one who can score and as soon as he gets hands on it he refuses to give up ball.  Can't stand seeing it repeat every game. I get Mullin's,style is to shoot but DJ rushes beyond belief.

Even more impressive was Yakwe's 7-8 from the line.

On a related note.. is this NY Post headline not tying to the article?

http://nypost.com/2016/02/06/st-johns-forward-admits-sad-truth-to-ref-in-deepening-hole/

What forward revealed what truth to the ref?
It looks like someone at the Post may have edited the article at the last minute.

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2016, 12:17:52 AM »
Yesterday was first game at St John's I actually had to leave early because I was so disgusted. I understand the talent is not there I get it. But I am sorry is it so crazy to ask more from GRAD STUDENTS to play hard and not turn the ball over like they are freshman? Turning the ball over sucks period, even if you are under talented you should not be doing that, but find a way to play hard, that is all on coaching!  I could deal with a loss with effort but not with a loss that is lethargic, lazy, and careless especially after coming off the Xavier game. I really hope this is not the beginning of  a pattern from Mullin and Staff when he actually has players. Mindless and Careless basketball is what is the most annoying of the whole thing.
With  that being said, Yakwe  showed flashes of a stud last night-I doubt he sees 4 years here....

When you overextend players, errors ensue--whether that is asking a 10-12 mpg second wave player like M'Vouika play 30 mpg, ask a supporting player to play the role of a go-to scorer, a freshman to play like an upperclassman, or for a guy to play out of position or without enough support. That is all you see when you look at this roster.

Also, where is Yakwe going at 6'7 before his senior year? I like the kid a lot, but there are guards in the NBA that are taller. At the very least, he'd have to prove he could shut down the three on defense in additiom to the four-spot. And I do mean SHUT DOWN.  The scary thing about Lavin's guys and jumping to the NBA was that they all had ideal size for their NBA positions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:18:30 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2016, 01:02:35 AM »
Going to be a very interesting Senior day game.

Foad

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2016, 06:32:20 AM »
Drunk or crazy?

You are not smart enough to understand what I'm talking about and you should not try, because you might hurt yourself.

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2016, 10:22:11 AM »
I get people are playing out of position and the supporting player thing, but here we are talking about fundamental basketball. I don't care what kind of player you are no excuse for bad passes to your teammates and easy turnovers. Play fundamentally sound basketball is all we ask. And yes we may not win because of the other factors you stated, but at least we didnt beat ourselves and were somewhat competitive for own fans at HOME none the less. There body language sucked too with the exception of Yakwe, Felix, and Sima. And yes was not expecting much from Sima with first game back and all but at least he gave a serious effort even with a bandaged hand. Outside of those 3 hard to find any effort guys.

-And with Yakwe top 10 in blocks with not even playing a full season. He takes a big step next year with better talent maybe he could be gone. I see the tools there and I think he will put in the work to take the next step
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:26:28 AM by friendofjohnnie »

Foad

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 10:29:44 AM »
There body language sucked

I wish more of the players would grin infectiously when they commit fouls. Also, if one of them were to viciously elbow a defenseless opponent in the back of the head that'd send a real message to the rest of the league.

Poison

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2016, 10:45:29 AM »
I get people are playing out of position and the supporting player thing, but here we are talking about fundamental basketball. I don't care what kind of player you are no excuse for bad passes to your teammates and easy turnovers. Play fundamentally sound basketball is all we ask. And yes we may not win because of the other factors you stated, but at least we didnt beat ourselves and were somewhat competitive for own fans at HOME none the less. There body language sucked too with the exception of Yakwe, Felix, and Sima. And yes was not expecting much from Sima with first game back and all but at least he gave a serious effort even with a bandaged hand. Outside of those 3 hard to find any effort guys.

-And with Yakwe top 10 in blocks with not even playing a full season. He takes a big step next year with better talent maybe he could be gone. I see the tools there and I think he will put in the work to take the next step

Mullin was an exceptional player here. Probably the best we've ever had. So, if a player throws a soft, careless pass that could have been easily avoided, it's not on the coach to correct that. Clearly, he's not bothering to.

But by all means, believe in the process, if you can detect one.

Foad

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2016, 11:02:33 AM »
Mullin was an exceptional player here. Probably the best we've ever had. So, if a player throws a soft, careless pass that could have been easily avoided, it's not on the coach to correct that. Clearly, he's not bothering to.

It would also be helpful if he told them not to miss so many shots. That he allows them to without correcting them is indeed troubling.

I've detected one. The process is to hire the best recruiters in the game and allow them to recruit players who are better than the players on the other teams. Because Mullin knows that no matter how good the coach is, he cannot turn shitty players into championship contenders. (Except Norman Dale obviously, but that's why he's in the hall of fame.) And then, once he has players capable of competing with the other teams, he and Mitch Richmond will tell them not to throw lazy cross court passes.

Seriously, did Mullin #$%^ your girlfriend in 1985? You are becoming positively unhinged.

Poison

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »

It would also be helpful if he told them not to miss so many shots. That he allows them to without correcting them is indeed troubling.

I've detected one. The process is to hire the best recruiters in the game and allow them to recruit players who are better than the players on the other teams. Because Mullin knows that no matter how good the coach is, he cannot turn shitty players into championship contenders. (Except Norman Dale obviously, but that's why he's in the hall of fame.) And then, once he has players capable of competing with the other teams, he and Mitch Richmond will tell them not to throw lazy cross court passes.

Seriously, did Mullin #$%^ your girlfriend in 1985? You are becoming positively unhinged.

Can't Mullin tell them not to rush shots? And isn't that something they can do without being talented?

TONYD3

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2016, 11:29:25 AM »
Drunk or crazy?

You are not smart enough to understand what I'm talking about and you should not try, because you might hurt yourself.
I understand your so called point. You have made it to many times. Sometimes with more anger, sometimes with bigger words. Dom Pointer played defense. And was successful So his coach did well. If Coach Mullin shows players how to bend their knees while shooting in front of the camera and they start doing it and hitting shots. Then he did a good job.
As far as showing off, you give yourself a villain name and start fights on the internet basically acting like an ostentatious narcissist with your fake persona.   

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »

Can't Mullin tell them not to rush shots? And isn't that something they can do without being talented?

I don't remember what game it was, it was a road game, but the FS1 cameras caught Mullin telling them to stop taking quick, disgusting shots. He said that everything they took a jumper the other team was happy. They then continued to take quick disgusting shots.

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2016, 02:19:19 PM »
Going to be a very interesting Senior day game.
Yup, the tears will be flowing.

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2016, 02:20:17 PM »

I don't remember what game it was, it was a road game, but the FS1 cameras caught Mullin telling them to stop taking quick, disgusting shots. He said that everything they took a jumper the other team was happy. They then continued to take quick disgusting shots.
Guess the coach is powerless.

Foad

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
Guess the coach is powerless.

Few puppies learn to not piss on the carpet the first time you swat them with the newspaper. On the bright side, even the stupidest will learn if beaten righteously enough.

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2016, 03:59:51 PM »

What is a good shot for this team? Sima or Yakwe dunk. Ron M with his feet set and no one near him from three. Other than those three instances not much else comes to mind