collapse

Sponsor

* Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsor

* Please Register to View and Post

Thanks for visiting Johnny Jungle forums. St. John's 6th Man.

You must register for an account to see community's content. It's FREE.

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
I'd like to see Ahmed show off more of a post up game this year. He's got to be more like a DJ Kennedy for us and play all inside and out. Hopefully Wilson can follow suit, but seriously, how has this kid not realized that he needs to get to a gym and put on some muscle?

I think the biggest thing for Ahmed is playing under control consistently. The skills are all there for him if he can learn how to play with  pace.
2017 Class / Re: Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Last post by Poison on Today at 05:03:32 PM »
I'd like to see Ahmed show off more of a post up game this year. He's got to be more like a DJ Kennedy for us and play all inside and out. Hopefully Wilson can follow suit, but seriously, how has this kid not realized that he needs to get to a gym and put on some muscle?
In The Jungle... / Re: Around Big East
« Last post by Marillac on Today at 03:33:53 PM »
How can anyone pick SH over Nova and Xavier? Crazy .
In The Jungle... / Re: "Baldi Bowl"
« Last post by Marco Baldi on Today at 03:33:46 PM »
I never even heard the classic and purposefully vague; "violation of team rules" as an excuse for the non starts.

Violation of team rules usually = weed

Lol It almost always means screwing up in or missing class.

Because your puffing the magic dragon
« Last post by Marillac on Today at 03:32:33 PM »
I never even heard the classic and purposefully vague; "violation of team rules" as an excuse for the non starts.

Lol It almost always means screwing up in or missing class.
« Last post by Marco Baldi on Today at 03:21:34 PM »

« Last post by Marillac on Today at 02:31:12 PM »
I'd have to give 'Nova the slight edge in terms of best BE backcourts for next season. Brunson, Donte and Booth returning. Ponds and LoVett should be right there though.

Simon is the starting PG unless he gets hurt.  Mark my words.   My guess is Lovett is a 6th man in name, plays big minutes though regardless. 

Let's all say it together:  Justin Simon is NOT a point guard.
He is as much of a PG as Dom Pointer.

Simon is a PG that because of his size can play the 2 or the 3. The staff will treat him as such because him and Lovett are the only two guys on the roster that can be trusted playing PG

False. He's the classic SG that can't shoot. Some will try to pigeon hole him into PG, but he is a SF by default. PG's don't dribble the ball to their chest. Also, there is only one player on this roster that has a chance of playing PG in the league and his last name isn't Lovett or Simon.
Moe and Jakarr weren't three point shooters at all here and made the NBA. Who cares?

Because Moe got drafted in the 1st round, JaKarr wasn't drafted at all.... Moe just signed a $40mm+ contract and JaKarr is in the D-League?

The difference? Shooting.

By the end of the season Harkless looked polished. He dropped a ton on Duke, WV etc. Sampson was stopped by the better teams.

Moe was 17-79 from 3 here. Jakarr was 1-13 in 2 seasons from 3.

Moe got polished in the NBA. Jakarr just didn't have the same abilities. But what I'm saying is Sid doesn't have to worry about making 3's while here. Play your game.

Moe was a good shooter before he came here. You have to throw freshman shooting stats out the window especially for bigger players. There is so much to learn and adjust to. Moe would have been a killer from three as a soph and especially a junior if he stayed.
Moe is still not a good shooter (although this past year he wasn't too bad).  He's in the NBA for his defense.

3P% -  .274, .383, .179, .279, .351  (career .315)

The NBA average generally hovers around 35-36%

Moe shot 27.4% from three as 19 year old NBA rookie (longer distance than college) and then upped that to 38.3% as a 20 year old second year player.  I think we would have seen the same adjustment at SJU if he stayed for a second year.  That seems to be the norm for second year forwards in college (e.g., Derrick Willams shot 25% from three as a frosh for Zona and then 56.8% as a soph on two attempts per game). Tobias Harris then went to Orlando and ruined Moe's role.  Moe has always been a guy that has been plagued by confidence and aggressiveness issues.  His best days are ahead of him in the NBA.  He shot over 35% this past season from deep on 2.5 attempts. To reduce his career in the NBA to just defense is silly.  Sampson has just as much defensive potential, but only a fraction of Moe's ceiling.
Yes, he improved to 38% his second year.  He followed that up by shooting 18% and 28%.  He's a career 31% 3pt shooter.  That is below average.  If he was not a good defender, he would not be on a roster.  That is not to say he can't potentially get better offensively, but an NBA team would not have given him 5 years to do it if he wasn't a plus defender.

I haven't seen enough of Sid to know what kind of player he is.  If he can turn into Harkless or Harkless Lite (Can grab some rebounds and disrupt shots and passing lanes while scoring around the basket and hitting the occasional jumper) I'll be more than happy.

To be clear, I'm not comparing him to Harkless.  I was just defending Moe's shooting ability.  Forwards tend to have a much tougher time from deep as freshmen than guards.  Guards have the ball in their hands more often and forwards have to learn to get their looks within an offense and depend on others to get them the ball in the right spots. If Sid wants to mix it up and stay off the three point line, we all win. I think he will be astonishingly similar to Polee as a frosh.

As for Harkless, I don't think he became a worse shooter after he put up 38.3% in his second year.  I think Tobias Harris disrupted his game and took away his role.  If he missed from deep, he went to the bench.  That spells disaster 99% of the time for any shooter.

OMG blaming Tobias Harris for years of Mo's poor 3 point shooting. Hey we can use Tobias as a scapegoat on all the ills of the world if we can blame him for Mo's shooting. Let's start with global warming.  :idiot2: :uglystupid2: :2funny:

Moe's shooting %s correlate almost exactly to his minutes.  You don't think someone can be affected by a reduced role? That's ridiculous. 

26 MPG - 27.4% (Rookie Year)
24 MPG - 38.3%
15 MPG - 17.9%
18.7 MPG - 27.9% (First year with Blazers)
28.9 MPG - 35.1%

His overall FG% follow suit as well and even his FT %.  Confidence is a huge part of the game and who can be confident playing 15 MPG knowing they are going to get pulled after every miss?  I've seen that ruin some really good shooters careers. 
« Last post by goredmen on Today at 02:12:16 PM »
I'd have to give 'Nova the slight edge in terms of best BE backcourts for next season. Brunson, Donte and Booth returning. Ponds and LoVett should be right there though.

Simon is the starting PG unless he gets hurt.  Mark my words.   My guess is Lovett is a 6th man in name, plays big minutes though regardless. 

Let's all say it together:  Justin Simon is NOT a point guard.
He is as much of a PG as Dom Pointer.

Simon is a PG that because of his size can play the 2 or the 3. The staff will treat him as such because him and Lovett are the only two guys on the roster that can be trusted playing PG
Moe and Jakarr weren't three point shooters at all here and made the NBA. Who cares?

Because Moe got drafted in the 1st round, JaKarr wasn't drafted at all.... Moe just signed a $40mm+ contract and JaKarr is in the D-League?

The difference? Shooting.

By the end of the season Harkless looked polished. He dropped a ton on Duke, WV etc. Sampson was stopped by the better teams.

Moe was 17-79 from 3 here. Jakarr was 1-13 in 2 seasons from 3.

Moe got polished in the NBA. Jakarr just didn't have the same abilities. But what I'm saying is Sid doesn't have to worry about making 3's while here. Play your game.

Moe was a good shooter before he came here. You have to throw freshman shooting stats out the window especially for bigger players. There is so much to learn and adjust to. Moe would have been a killer from three as a soph and especially a junior if he stayed.
Moe is still not a good shooter (although this past year he wasn't too bad).  He's in the NBA for his defense.

3P% -  .274, .383, .179, .279, .351  (career .315)

The NBA average generally hovers around 35-36%

Moe shot 27.4% from three as 19 year old NBA rookie (longer distance than college) and then upped that to 38.3% as a 20 year old second year player.  I think we would have seen the same adjustment at SJU if he stayed for a second year.  That seems to be the norm for second year forwards in college (e.g., Derrick Willams shot 25% from three as a frosh for Zona and then 56.8% as a soph on two attempts per game). Tobias Harris then went to Orlando and ruined Moe's role.  Moe has always been a guy that has been plagued by confidence and aggressiveness issues.  His best days are ahead of him in the NBA.  He shot over 35% this past season from deep on 2.5 attempts. To reduce his career in the NBA to just defense is silly.  Sampson has just as much defensive potential, but only a fraction of Moe's ceiling.
Yes, he improved to 38% his second year.  He followed that up by shooting 18% and 28%.  He's a career 31% 3pt shooter.  That is below average.  If he was not a good defender, he would not be on a roster.  That is not to say he can't potentially get better offensively, but an NBA team would not have given him 5 years to do it if he wasn't a plus defender.

I haven't seen enough of Sid to know what kind of player he is.  If he can turn into Harkless or Harkless Lite (Can grab some rebounds and disrupt shots and passing lanes while scoring around the basket and hitting the occasional jumper) I'll be more than happy.

To be clear, I'm not comparing him to Harkless.  I was just defending Moe's shooting ability.  Forwards tend to have a much tougher time from deep as freshmen than guards.  Guards have the ball in their hands more often and forwards have to learn to get their looks within an offense and depend on others to get them the ball in the right spots. If Sid wants to mix it up and stay off the three point line, we all win. I think he will be astonishingly similar to Polee as a frosh.

As for Harkless, I don't think he became a worse shooter after he put up 38.3% in his second year.  I think Tobias Harris disrupted his game and took away his role.  If he missed from deep, he went to the bench.  That spells disaster 99% of the time for any shooter.

OMG blaming Tobias Harris for years of Mo's poor 3 point shooting. Hey we can use Tobias as a scapegoat on all the ills of the world if we can blame him for Mo's shooting. Let's start with global warming.  :idiot2: :uglystupid2: :2funny:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

Support Johnny Jungle

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.