Rysheed Jordan - Skills for Life

• 155 replies
Re: Rysheed Jordan - Skills for Life
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 10:28:51 AM »
Incredibly sad, we witnessed his transgressions from day 1. His body language and interactions w teammates/coaches were never positive. His psyche appeared impenetrable. He was a wild child, as teachers often say, you can't reach them all. For every D'Angelo there's a Sheed. He never once came off as a kid who was willing to listen to anyone, and was always out for himself. His neighborhood swallowed him whole, as North Philly does to so many. When you fail out of school, get released from a DLeague team two weeks in and hang out around in that environment without any ambition, this eventually happens. Very tough to swallow seeing talent wasted, but I'm not surprised knowing the environment that surrounded him everyday of his life.

He was given every chance plus some, to straighten out and do something for himself and his family. No one to blame but himself.

Wods317

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 10:43:18 AM »
Sad situation but can't really feel bad for the kid. As has been said he had a opportunity that a lot of kids from a tough background don't have. He had the skill to be an NBA player and he threw it all away. He was one of the more gifted players I have seen play here, such a big waste of talent.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
Sad. Traded in taking shots on a basketball court to possibly taking shots from behind.

SJUFAN

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 01:35:02 PM »
Incredibly sad, we witnessed his transgressions from day 1. His body language and interactions w teammates/coaches were never positive. His psyche appeared impenetrable. He was a wild child, as teachers often say, you can't reach them all. For every D'Angelo there's a Sheed. He never once came off as a kid who was willing to listen to anyone, and was always out for himself. His neighborhood swallowed him whole, as North Philly does to so many. When you fail out of school, get released from a DLeague team two weeks in and hang out around in that environment without any ambition, this eventually happens. Very tough to swallow seeing talent wasted, but I'm not surprised knowing the environment that surrounded him everyday of his life.

He was given every chance plus some, to straighten out and do something for himself and his family. No one to blame but himself.

Its an unfortunate situation for him and his family Although I agree that ultimately its was his decision, it would be ignorant though to believe that his environment didn't impact that process. Many of you wouldn't be the person you are today if you were raised in the same environment he was. It's not an excuse, its reality. That is the biggest problem in our society, we are too rich of a nation to have so many of its children living in poverty. Children don't decide who their parents are, or what support systems they are born into. I've seen some horrific situations. Children living on the streets, not 16 year olds, five year olds! F*&# ABC's...I'm trying to survive! Until you've walked in their shoe's, I wouldn't be so dismissive. I'm angry that he squandered his opportunity to help himself and his family, but I also understand what contributed to him being the way he was and that is also upsetting. It's not enabling, its reality. It's not easy to teach an old dog new tricks. The only difference is he was a basketball player, there are many more who suffer the same fate who are not 6'4" who could get to the basket.

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »

Its an unfortunate situation for him and his family Although I agree that ultimately its was his decision, it would be ignorant though to believe that his environment didn't impact that process. Many of you wouldn't be the person you are today if you were raised in the same environment he was. It's not an excuse, its reality. That is the biggest problem in our society, we are too rich of a nation to have so many of its children living in poverty. Children don't decide who their parents are, or what support systems they are born into. I've seen some horrific situations. Children living on the streets, not 16 year olds, five year olds! F*&# ABC's...I'm trying to survive! Until you've walked in their shoe's, I wouldn't be so dismissive. I'm angry that he squandered his opportunity to help himself and his family, but I also understand what contributed to him being the way he was and that is also upsetting. It's not enabling, its reality. It's not easy to teach an old dog new tricks. The only difference is he was a basketball player, there are many more who suffer the same fate who are not 6'4" who could get to the basket.

I think the point is that he was 6'4" and could get to the basket though. There are a lot of people who fall into that way of life because they don't have an "easy" way out (easy as in a gift you are born with, obviously still takes a lot of hard work). But Jordan was gifted with his athleticism and a scholarship to a University. If he would have stuck with either of those he wouldn't be in this situation. Instead he couldn't get out of his own way and somehow didn't realize that he was given every opportunity that I'm sure the people he grew up around would love to have been given to make a better life.

It's a shame and a cautionary tale, but as others have said, can't say I really feel bad for him.

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 02:40:17 PM »
Plenty of people who are born into similar situations and avoid robbing and shooting people. Jordan is s gangster. He is where he belongs
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:41:45 PM by Marco Baldi »

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 03:11:35 PM »
Well I hate to say I was right but I said Jordan would never make a living playing ball. Now someone else will make a living playing with his balls.

Why does this mean he will never make a living playing ball? He's more NBA now than ever before.

It's not the 80's and 90's anymore. These NBA players are the sons and nephews of former NFL and NBA millionaires, from well to do families here or abroad, or have been pampered with gifts, gear, and travel by AAU clubs, brokers, boosters or agents.

SJUFAN

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2016, 03:50:31 PM »
Plenty of people who are born into similar situations and avoid robbing and shooting people. Jordan is s gangster. He is where he belongs

So you don't think its a problem that "Plenty of people are born into similar situations"? Just because everyone isn't like that doesn't mean many would not be. It's a mentality, regardless of his gifts. Not everyone has the capacity to get smacked in the cheek and turn to him the next. At some point you have to say the problem isn't limited to what action the individual takes, although they should still be held accountable for them, but you also have to start thinking.. Why are you smacking him in the cheek? 

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 03:59:01 PM »

So you don't think its a problem that "Plenty of people are born into similar situations"? Just because everyone isn't like that doesn't mean many would not be. It's a mentality, regardless of his gifts. Not everyone has the capacity to get smacked in the cheek and turn to him the next. At some point you have to say the problem isn't limited to what action the individual takes, although they should still be held accountable for them, but you also have to start thinking.. Why are you smacking him in the cheek? 

Or stop having children if you do t have the means,desire or maturity to raise them properly. At some point, people have be responsible for themselves and stop blaming society, their own parents etc.

SJUFAN

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 05:09:23 PM »

Or stop having children if you do t have the means,desire or maturity to raise them properly. At some point, people have be responsible for themselves and stop blaming society, their own parents etc.

Pointing out faults in a social system doesn't mean I'm not for accountability. Self responsibility is important. To overcome social issues however you have to acknowledge certain constructs exists which contribute to a social culture. Someone is going to fall within that segment of the population, it has nothing to do with personal choice. If everyone in the United states had an MBA that would mean there would be a large portion of the population with MBA's living at/near/or in poverty. Education and hard work does not necessarily equate to economic prosperity. There isn't an infinite amount of high paying jobs, regardless of your education and/or work ethic. Some of us are more fortunate than others which perpetuates the belief that anyone can do it. However true in theory that may be, that isn't true for everyone. Stay strong Rysheed, hope you use this experience as a spring board to a better future.

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2016, 05:15:34 PM »

+100 it's unfortunate that so many kids are born into bad situations like this -- by no choice of their own.  be it bad neighborhoods, bad parents, poverty, whatever. definitely shouldn't happen in america.  as you said, doesn't mean he shouldn't be held accountable if he did commit a crime as an adult, but does bring that issue into stark focus. 

boo3

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2016, 07:48:43 PM »
Why not?

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2016, 08:26:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/MullinsHood/status/738394568413089797

Aunt Jackie smoking some shit if she believes he didn't do it

TONYD3

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2016, 09:00:41 PM »
Don't usually say this . Baldi is 100% right .

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2016, 01:50:33 AM »
Baldi is 100% right .

Per your opinion.  He could be on point when it comes to Jordan not having anyone to blame than himself.  But SJUFAN truly puts things in perspective, IMO.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:52:10 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2016, 03:38:33 AM »
I have a news feed after I unlock my phone. I usually get one line for each headline.

I saw the CBS headline as, "Former SJ's star Rysheed" .... The first thought that came into my mind was "Jordan was found dead..."

I was relieved to see a better, more likely outcome. I was sorry to read, but SJUfan laid it out best.

The road to ruin is littered with many talented, tormented souls. Another American tragedy in the making.

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2016, 08:09:15 AM »
SJUFAN says it better than I could.  Respect!

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
"Kid" is 21 years old