Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?

• 163 replies
Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?
« on: November 29, 2016, 10:19:49 PM »
Can someone tell me wtf needs to happen?

Johnny23

Re: Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 10:26:30 PM »
Coaching staffs are almost never altered in-season in college. It is what it will be right through March. If Mullin has any buddies who are great college coaches, now is the time to lean on them for advice.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 10:27:11 PM »
I am not sure anyone can answer.  IMO, the school gives the staff one year to improve.  If not, this new AD has to seriously think about whats best for the program by getting in Mullin's ear and telling him that his next 2 years its tourney or he's out.  Put pressure on him.  If Mullin really wants this job, he will re evaluate his staff, and see that Richmond is not made for the college game in his current role.  If he thinks that highly of St. Jean, he will bring in an X and O's guy who can teach St Jean what it takes to run a program along with being Mullin's right hand man.  Mitch Richmond is not the answer and to be honest, never will.

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 10:28:28 PM »
Respectfully to all of you . I know you have fond memories of him as a player. He seems like a great guy. I hope he quits.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 10:30:18 PM »
I am not sure anyone can answer.  IMO, the school gives the staff one year to improve.  If not, this new AD has to seriously think about whats best for the program by getting in Mullin's ear and telling him that his next 2 years its tourney or he's out.  Put pressure on him.  If Mullin really wants this job, he will re evaluate his staff, and see that Richmond is not made for the college game in his current role.  If he thinks that highly of St. Jean, he will bring in an X and O's guy who can teach St Jean what it takes to run a program along with being Mullin's right hand man.  Mitch Richmond is not the answer and to be honest, never will.

Im Thinking  Mullin didn't realize the work that goes into being a head coach.. I don't even think he realized it til now.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 10:31:07 PM »
The new A D will be lucky to get a meeting with Mitch

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 10:32:26 PM »
quitting would be the worst thing to happen.  Lavin quit on us, per se, and we wound up with arguably the worst roster in the history of major D1 basketball.  My hope is Mullin brings in the talent and the next coach has a team he can with with right away. A la Lavin.  What Mullin does over the next 3 years will either set us up for better seasons ahead, or IMO opinion burry us for a very, very long time. 

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 10:34:54 PM »
quitting would be the worst thing to happen.  Lavin quit on us, per se, and we wound up with arguably the worst roster in the history of major D1 basketball.  My hope is Mullin brings in the talent and the next coach has a team he can with with right away. A la Lavin.  What Mullin does over the next 3 years will either set us up for better seasons ahead, or IMO opinion burry us for a very, very long time. 

Mullin needs to make a great hire  to make this work. A badass, a guy who straightens these fckn guys out.

desco80

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 10:35:27 PM »
Until someone tells me they've heard that Mullin isn't on campus enough, or is absent from practices ... I find it hard to believe he's not working hard.   

He worked hard recruiting with Matt last summer, no?  I didn't hear any complaints that he should've been at X event and was a no-show.

Maybe he's not the right guy for the job.  We'll see.  But I'm not gonna call him lazy unless I have something to base it on.
Just because he was successful as a player doesn't mean he doesn't have the fire to win anymore.  Look at Jim Harbaugh.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 10:39:28 PM »
Until someone tells me they've heard that Mullin isn't on campus enough, or is absent from practices ... I find it hard to believe he's not working hard.   

He worked hard recruiting with Matt last summer, no?  I didn't hear any complaints that he should've been at X event and was a no-show.

Maybe he's not the right guy for the job.  We'll see.  But I'm not gonna call him lazy unless I have something to base it on.
Just because he was successful as a player doesn't mean he doesn't have the fire to win anymore.  Look at Jim Harbaugh.

What if I told you he wasn't workin hard enough?  Or if I heard that Mullin and Richomnd don't work anywhere near hard enough?

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 10:40:26 PM »

Im Thinking  Mullin didn't realize the work that goes into being a head coach.. I don't even think he realized it til now.

I agree.  I mean how can any guy who's never been on a sideline, especially in college have any idea what this job entails?  Its a 12 month a year job, dealing with kids who's game is completely different than the one he played 30 years ago.  Then to top it off, bring on a staff that has as much experience as him and to some degree, 30 years younger with even less experience.  This was the wrong time to experiment, IMO, the school had 3 20 win seasons and actually made the tourney twice in 5 years.  That is head and shoulders above what we had done in the last 10.  Lavin was not the answer, but neither is Mullin.  If there was ever a time to get someone on board who could keep building off the last 5 years, now was the time to do it, not take a gamble.

Johnny23

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 10:40:26 PM »
Not all coaches are created equally. Hard work doesn't automatically equate to being a great coach in any sport. Jim Harbaugh has been a great coach at the college and pro level. Some are more talented than others at their given craft. Mullin has a long way to go to be mentioned in that air.

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 10:45:23 PM »

What if I told you he wasn't workin hard enough?  Or if I heard that Mullin and Richomnd don't work anywhere near hard enough?
The word I heard is he loves and is into basketball but not sure he is that into coaching. This I heard over the summer even as Mo was at a summer hoop event down south. So it seems he maybe works hard but not at actual coaching and when you think about it he never expressed an interest in coaching until we came a callin.

desco80

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 10:46:11 PM »

If that's true then the staff needs a shakeup, you're right.
But there are complaints from every corner when things aren't going well.  And compliments sprout up out of nowhere when you're winning. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 10:46:43 PM by desco80 »

goredmen

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 10:54:32 PM »
Well obviously Mullin and Matt aren't going anywhere. So if something were to happen at the end of this season it would be with the other two guys. Either both St. Jean and Mitch have to be asked to leave or one asked to leave and the other demoted if anything is going to change on the staff.

Should there be two assistant coach opening on the staff after this year and since all Matt does is recruit, let him do all the recruiting.  Then go get two Xs and Os only guys to fill the two openings. Preferably those two guys will be former head coaches but it's going to be find two talented experienced minds looking for a job or willing to be an assistant at St. John's. With the two new assistants, treat it like football and have one offensive coordinator and one defensive coordinator. That way each guy on the staff has defined roles and focus whereas only Matt really has a defined role on the staff right now.

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 10:57:33 PM »
2 wrong hires

boo3

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 11:07:12 PM »
Nothing is going to happen...we know this

ras

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 11:37:10 PM »

Mullin needs to make a great hire  to make this work. A badass, a guy who straightens these fckn guys out.
I like a guy like Mike Rice. Plenty of exp. Nothing against Mitch, but he has to go and be replaced w a sharp coach w a lot of college exp.   I think he should also get rid of St. Jean and replace him w a bigman coach.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:40:00 PM by ras »

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 11:59:43 PM »
Baldi still upset with the Slice ending.

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 07:04:34 AM »
Who tells you he is not working hard enough - Slice the man who did nothing or Jeff Goodman who hates Chris

Name your sources it is easy to say things without any proof and other people believe it because it is coming from you
Let the season play out and see what happens before you through these guys under the bus.
You seem to have some grudge against Matt and Mitch
Have you been to any practices to see what Mitch does or is it from your unnamed sources.