Derrick Walker, PF, MOKAN Elite, Ks. - TENNESSEE

• 178 replies

paultzman

Re: Derrick Walker, PF, MOKAN Elite, Ks.
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »
Per Zach B
Caught up with Derrick Walker. Said he's still considering St. John's, Georgia and Tennessee. Column in a bit. #sjubb

NetScouts Basketball –  ‏@NetScouts

#NPSI Game 14 - Sunrise Christian (KS) 76 Notre Dame Prep (MA) 62. Player of the Game: Derrick Walker (Sunrise) 12 points

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:42:11 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2017, 09:14:28 AM »
As you know , Walker was at the game sitting directly behind the basket closest to SJU bench.  Big kid w some meat on him and likely will not get pushed around and should be a space eater.  Matt A all over him and appeared to take him to the dressing room (but don't know for sure) pre game. 

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »
Hopefully his relationship with Marvin Clark Jr. will help SJU land Walker.  At this point he should be a priority for next year.

paultzman

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2017, 11:34:49 AM »
Hopefully his relationship with Marvin Clark Jr. will help SJU land Walker.  At this point he should be a priority for next year.

Will

paultzman

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2017, 11:45:18 AM »
Per Zach B

"W as told the Derrick Walker visit went well. Waiting game now begins for #sjubb"

That said, with exception of Jarvis meeting with recruits, they all go well. :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:45:52 AM by paultzman »

SJU79

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2017, 12:30:22 PM »
My understanding is he told  one of the players this morning he will commit to SJU

MCNPA

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »
Good to hear...  we desperately need some beef in the middle. 

Marillac

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2017, 01:23:06 PM »
I thought Owens left Tennesee because the HC that recruited him was fired due to violations at his previous college.

Yes, but he can speak of advantages of playing in NY and Big East over Knoxville and SEC.

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2017, 01:24:18 PM »

Good news. Seems like a solid four year guy, but let's not expect anything  from him next year.

MCNPA

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2017, 01:36:50 PM »

Good news. Seems like a solid four year guy, but let's not expect anything  from him next year.

I'm expecting a big body on defense and some rebounds and putbacks.  At this level of course we should have some expectation of helping us on the court somehow.  Kid also has a big frame.  If he hits the weights, he can easily come in as a freshman being very strong.

Marillac

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2017, 03:31:52 PM »

I'm expecting a big body on defense and some rebounds and putbacks.  At this level of course we should have some expectation of helping us on the court somehow.  Kid also has a big frame.  If he hits the weights, he can easily come in as a freshman being very strong.

I don't think it's a good sign if he plays more than 5-7 mpg next year. His biggest contributions will likely be in practice year one. Darien Williams and Marvin Clark are just as big and both have three years of college experience.  Plus, RF should make big strides and I'm confident we land a grad transfer.

Again, he seems like the kind of four year player good programs like Xavier always have to plug in.

paultzman

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2017, 03:44:24 PM »

I don't think it's a good sign if he plays more than 5-7 mpg next year. His biggest contributions will likely be in practice year one. Darien Williams and Marvin Clark are just as big and both have three years of college experience.  Plus, RF should make big strides and I'm confident we land a grad transfer.

Again, he seems like the kind of four year player good programs like Xavier always have to plug in.
Agree

derk

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2017, 04:11:32 PM »
My understanding is he told  one of the players this morning he will commit to SJU

We've heard that before. We've lost a few recruits when they get down to the Tennessee and Georgia campus.

paultzman

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »

We've heard that before. We've lost a few recruits when they get down to the Tennessee and Georgia campus.

Sense SJU79 is correct

goredmen

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »
Solid get. Hope he turns into what DJ Johnson is doing at Kansas State right now. DJ Johnson was also a 3 star prospect from Missouri with only a couple high major offers. Limited minutes in his Freshman season, a 10-15 minute guy as a Soph, 20-25 minute guy as a Junior, and now the best big on what's most likely going to a tournament team as a Senior. Thats the type of player thats the backbone of consistent programs, and ones we need to continue to get. Now it's on the staff to prove they can develop a kid like this

cjfish

« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2017, 05:30:32 PM »

We can not compete against most campuses, SJU is pathetic in this regard,  Kids have to learn about food, proximity to city and multiple prosports etc.  To me playing in the garden is the ultimate, but the appeal I feel is waning compared to the old days 

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2017, 06:11:41 PM »

We can not compete against most campuses, SJU is pathetic in this regard,  Kids have to learn about food, proximity to city and multiple prosports etc.  To me playing in the garden is the ultimate, but the appeal I feel is waning compared to the old days 
For St Johns and recruiting purposes, the City is the campus. And no other school can offer all the different communities, and foods, and festivals, etc. to recruits that won't  get that in Missouri or Georgia or Tennessee. Don't know if Jay Z lined up any 40/40 Clubs out those ways.

St Johns students are actually required to take a class in a neighborhood they are assigned to. Students are required to learn mass transit, and how to get around in the City. Being 18-21 years old, playing ball at Rucker and hanging out Uptown one day; balling at W4th and hanging in the Village the next.  Home games at the Garden. That's the St Johns campus.

Marillac

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »

I disagree. The city is our campus...the greatest city in the world.

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2017, 11:20:01 PM »

I disagree. The city is our campus...the greatest city in the world.

Agreed.

Also with the construction of the D'Angelo Center, they're currently renovating Bent Hall and the past Marilac cafeteria renovations I love our campus. It's been improving every year. Does it stack up with the big boys no, but it's not bad.

cjfish

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2017, 11:13:17 AM »
I agree that the proximity of the city is significant.  However D1 recruits, in whatever sport, have a full plate with practices, games, tutors and classes and have little time for taking advantage of the city.  Their time commitment is such that it is a tremendous advantage to have an attractive campus, which SJU does not.  At this point and going forward it is mostly about playing in the garden for a hall of fame coach.