17-18 Starting 5

• 150 replies
Re: 17-18 Starting 5
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2017, 12:28:26 PM »
Status of Moose and Amar, incoming grad transfer big could change the rotation quite a bit. We should wait until Summer Session I begins before any starting5 proclamations are made this is very premature.

We are in the Summer Session on the message boards

QuanMan

« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2017, 12:30:52 PM »
Status of Moose and Amar, incoming grad transfer big could change the rotation quite a bit. We should wait until Summer Session I begins before any starting5 proclamations are made this is very premature.

We are in the Summer Session on the message boards

LMAAAOOOO yessss, facts only Baldi! Can't agree more.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2017, 12:59:42 PM »
Should Lovett come back

Lovett
Ponds
Simon
Clark
Owens

Bench
Ahmed
Mussini
Ellison
Yakwe
Williams

I agree with you but bet it will be:
Clark
Ahmed
Simon
Ponds
Lovett

Guess LoVett is your center. go big or go home.

Clark would be my guess. Might even see Yakwe and Clark with Ahmed or Simon at the three.

« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2017, 01:50:42 PM »
hopefully something clicks for yakwe over the summer and he comes in ready to battle for position and board, catch passes, and go up strong

« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2017, 02:32:06 PM »
Should Lovett come back

Lovett
Ponds
Simon
Clark
Owens

Bench
Ahmed
Mussini
Ellison
Yakwe
Williams

Clark
Ahmed
Simon
Ponds
Lovett

Clark would be my guess. Might even see Yakwe and Clark with Ahmed or Simon at the three.
Think Clark is shorter than he is listed. Bet he is more like 6'5. If we get a transfer big along with Owens no reason to start such a small line-up unless we're playing in a 6'5 and under league.

« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »
Should Lovett come back

Lovett
Ponds
Simon
Clark
Owens

Bench
Ahmed
Mussini
Ellison
Yakwe
Williams

Clark
Ahmed
Simon
Ponds
Lovett

Think Clark is shorter than he is listed. Bet he is more like 6'5. If we get a transfer big along with Owens no reason to start such a small line-up unless we're playing in a 6'5 and under league.

Foul trouble and maybe stamina but Mullin seems to not be inclined to start Owens. He was clearly better than Yakwee but never started. Clark played the 4 in the Big Ten. I agree better suited to being undersized 4 but again Mullin did not seem to like to start Owens.

derk

« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »
Should Lovett come back

Lovett
Ponds
Simon
Clark
Owens

Bench
Ahmed
Mussini
Ellison
Yakwe
Williams

Clark
Ahmed
Simon
Ponds
Lovett

Foul trouble and maybe stamina but Mullin seems to not be inclined to start Owens. He was clearly better than Yakwee but never started. Clark played the 4 in the Big Ten. I agree better suited to being undersized 4 but again Mullin did not seem to like to start Owens.

Owens energizes the team with his shot blocking and running the floor. Also CM wanted to do everything he could to jump start Yakwe which unfortunately never happened.

« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »
Should Lovett come back

Lovett
Ponds
Simon
Clark
Owens

Bench
Ahmed
Mussini
Ellison
Yakwe
Williams

Clark
Ahmed
Simon
Ponds
Lovett

Owens energizes the team with his shot blocking and running the floor. Also CM wanted to do everything he could to jump start Yakwe which unfortunately never happened.

Yakwe needs to work in the offseason

« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2017, 05:34:13 PM »
I just have a feeling that Simon and Clark are gonna be huge. And I can't wait to see what kind of transfer Matty gets.

We are not yet complete.

cjfish

« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2017, 06:14:48 PM »
Lovett,Ponds, clark, simon and owens.  Ahmed plays 20+ at both forward spots, who knows with Yakwe at 4 and 5.  Must play owens for size quite a bit.  Amar should get a bit better, particularly at whacking people.  Mussini 12-15 and score 6-9, more minutes when hitting.

Would love a couple of beefy guys 6-6 or more.   

« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »
Front court 17-18
Owens
Clark
Yakwe
Amar
Friedenburg

[/Back court 17-18b]
Ponds
Lovett
Ahmed
Mussini
Simon

« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2017, 06:26:58 PM »
Should Lovett come back

Lovett
Ponds
Simon
Clark
Owens

Bench
Ahmed
Mussini
Ellison
Yakwe
Williams

Clark
Ahmed
Simon
Ponds
Lovett

I'm not big on redshirting (because I feel it is a waste of a scholarship) but Yakwe would be an ideal candidate to redshirt.  I just hope we have a coach that can really help develop his game.

Poison

« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »
Should Lovett come back

Lovett
Ponds
Simon
Clark
Owens

Bench
Ahmed
Mussini
Ellison
Yakwe
Williams

Clark
Ahmed
Simon
Ponds
Lovett

I'm not big on redshirting (because I feel it is a waste of a scholarship) but Yakwe would be an ideal candidate to redshirt.  I just hope we have a coach that can really help develop his game.

If we did have a coach that can develop Yakwe's talent hopefully he'll actually put some effort into it this time.

Marillac

« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2017, 01:57:49 AM »
Should Lovett come back

Lovett
Ponds
Simon
Clark
Owens

Bench
Ahmed
Mussini
Ellison
Yakwe
Williams

Clark
Ahmed
Simon
Ponds
Lovett

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stjo-m-baskbl-mtt.html

He looks to be almost identical to Yakwe in height and the strongest looking player I've seen since Anthony Glover. I can't imagine anyone backing this kid down in the post. He also shoots over 40% from three so he is going to be a b*tch for a PF to defend on the perimeter and will set some hard screens to wear down opposing guards. If he has the ability to take guys off the bounce (which was the one skill keeping him from putting it together at MSU) at all and the mentality to not float on the perimeter once he's done his job, we should be looking damn good. We don't need a 6'7 235 SG/SF. We need a faceup four that can stretch the D and crash the glass like a beast. We'll know by the end of the first game if he has "Kevin Durant syndrome" or if he'll mix it up inside and hustle like Owens.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:22:44 AM by Marillac »

Wods317

« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2017, 09:43:22 AM »
Clark is probably 6'6 or so but an inch in size means absolutely nothing. That will not determine whether he can rebound and play inside. It will be the way he uses his body and his athletic ability. The difference between 6'6 and 6'7 is irrelevant.

« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2017, 01:22:52 PM »
Bonzie Coulson is a 6-5 PF. It's about want not size. We don't have guys that wanna get after it. We need people to get after it like Bonzie and I think Marv could be that.

Wods317

« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
Bonzie Coulson is a 6-5 PF. It's about want not size. We don't have guys that wanna get after it. We need people to get after it like Bonzie and I think Marv could be that.

+1, essentially what I was trying to say as well.

wpc77

« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2017, 01:44:55 PM »

no doubt, although not having a big like Auguste next to Colson this past year hurt ND's half court offense this past season, and Brey has said that he wants to make it a priority to have one of Mooney, Geben or Burns take the next step and become a solid 25 minute per game contributor alongside Colson.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:45:24 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2017, 03:02:58 PM »
Coleson has a ridiculous wingspan. Length is more important than height. Dont know how Clark fairs there but im banking on him being a solid not spectacular rebounder. Brownlee level.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2017, 08:40:47 AM »
Clarke is not as big as many of you think. Dom pointer was much bigger. He is not close as wide as Anthony glover.