hnk

Re: 17-18 Starting 5
« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2017, 07:10:06 PM »
Could Clark be  our Draymond Green?

Marillac

« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »
Could Clark be  our Draymond Green?

That is what he was recruited by Izzo to be. His mentor was Branden Dawson who was mentored by Draymond Green. The key to PF will always be hustle and mentality...more so than any other position. When a 6'6/6'7 kid embraces the position fully, he can really excel.

Marillac

« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2017, 08:09:03 PM »
Marvin Clark is explosive, and strong, but he's not a PF.  He's really a lot more of a wing forward like Caron butler or Glen Robinson JR or even Dom(not comparing level of ability).  People expecting him to be more of a post-type like Glover  but he's not.  It's why we could use one or two PF/C types as we don't have much right now. 

This is highly inaccurate.

Poison

« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2017, 08:30:27 PM »
Has anyone seen Marvin Clark back down a big man in the Big 10 and score? If he has, he's got power forward skills that we desperately need. If that's not in his game I don't see how he's a power forward that we can start unless he's some kinda legendary rebounder and overall defender.

Marillac

« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2017, 09:47:59 PM »
Has anyone seen Marvin Clark back down a big man in the Big 10 and score? If he has, he's got power forward skills that we desperately need. If that's not in his game I don't see how he's a power forward that we can start unless he's some kinda legendary rebounder and overall defender.

He's our only PF. He played PF and even some center for Michigan State. He played center for them at the end of regulation and OT in an Elite Eight win over Louisville two years ago. I don't understand the doubt in a 6'7 235 powerhouse playing PF for a bubble team when he played PF and C for a top ten team for two years.

And no, I don't think he will be a kid who backs down big PFs and scores wit his back to the basket. I think he will score from threes, offensive boards, off dishes on drives by our guards, and occasional 2-3 dribble drives on bad closeluts or good matchups on the perimeter.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:50:14 PM by Marillac »

Poison

« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2017, 10:50:26 PM »

He's our only PF. He played PF and even some center for Michigan State. He played center for them at the end of regulation and OT in an Elite Eight win over Louisville two years ago. I don't understand the doubt in a 6'7 235 powerhouse playing PF for a bubble team when he played PF and C for a top ten team for two years.

And no, I don't think he will be a kid who backs down big PFs and scores wit his back to the basket. I think he will score from threes, offensive boards, off dishes on drives by our guards, and occasional 2-3 dribble drives on bad closeluts or good matchups on the perimeter.

I wasn't aware that he has played center. That's promising.

QuanMan

« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2017, 12:11:32 PM »
Everyone is questioning our rebounding capabilities next year. Between Marv, Tariq, Kass and sparingly Amar I think we'll do just fine.

Never mind Shamorie's aptitude to lurk around the paint (4.5 rpg), and Bash is a fine rebounder on his own at 6'7 (5.5 rpg). Who knows what type of tenacity JSimon will bring to the table as well. Gang rebounding from the front court will be emphasized.

We're deep, talented, and capable of big things next year. The precarious tone that we inherently all have needs to be switched up this offseason.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2017, 12:58:58 PM »
We're deep, talented, and capable of big things next year. The precarious tone that we inherently all have needs to be switched up this offseason.

I'm not sure how deep we are at the moment, but I think we're talented and capable of doing big things this upcoming season.  But, until I see us consistently rebound, play even decent defense, and share the basketball, then I'll continue to be apprehensive. 

Loads of potential, as I believe this is a top 2 or 3 backcourt in the conference.  If we can show we can do a couple or all of those things I've mentioned above, then we're likely to hear our names called on Selection Sunday.

Marillac

« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2017, 02:30:15 PM »

I'm not sure how deep we are at the moment, but I think we're talented and capable of doing big things this upcoming season.  But, until I see us consistently rebound, play even decent defense, and share the basketball, then I'll continue to be apprehensive. 

Loads of potential, as I believe this is a top 2 or 3 backcourt in the conference.  If we can show we can do a couple or all of those things I've mentioned above, then we're likely to hear our names called on Selection Sunday.

We're not deep at all. We are one injury away from being in big trouble.

« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »

We're not deep at all. We are one injury away from being in big trouble.

Mussini, Owens/Yakwe, Clark/Ahmed, Sid, senior alibegovic is about the best 5 bench players I can remember.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »
[quote 
'But, until I see us play even decent defense'

Bingo! The O last season was good and I'ld expect that to continue.

The defense was putrid.  We'll have to learn how to stop somebody in order to achieve our goals.