St. John's comments on Executive Order on Immigration

• 279 replies
St. John's comments on Executive Order on Immigration
« on: January 30, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »

On January 27, 2017, President Trump issued an Executive Order on Immigration. The order temporarily suspends the issuance of visas and places a ban on entry into the United States by citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen. Serious concerns have been raised by thousands in the academic community that the impact of this Executive Order is discriminatory and imposes undue burden on certain members of our community and their families.

The Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities (ACCU), of which St. John’s is a member, has issued a statement expressing strong opposition to the Executive Order. I join the more than one hundred presidents of Catholic colleges and universities in support of the statement. Click here to read the full statement by ACCU.

We are in the process of reviewing the full impact of the Executive Order and reaching out to members of the University who may be directly affected. I urge those who have travel plans to or from the countries listed above to first consult with the University's Office of General Counsel before making any travel plans.

As a Catholic and Vincentian University with a 147-year history, St. John's has—and will always be—a place that welcomes immigrants and the children of immigrants. This year, the Congregation of the Mission fittingly celebrates the 400th anniversary of the Vincentian Charism as the year of Welcoming the Stranger. At St. John's University, we support all members of the University community, regardless of their country of origin or their chosen faith. We are committed to continuing this tradition.

Conrado “Bobby” Gempesaw, Ph.D.
President

http://www.stjohns.edu/about/news/2017-01-30/executive-order-immigration
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: St. John's comments on Executive Order on Immigration
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
And as someone who lost family and over 25 others on 9/11 I say cram it Bobby.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:18:33 PM »
How soon everyone forgets Moon

goredmen

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:21:28 PM »
Here we go again

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 09:36:22 PM »
Nothing brings together people and healthy discussion like politics eh

Poison

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:29:30 PM »

The Saudis are still more than welcome here.

goredmen

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 10:50:19 PM »
Im taking under 2 pages before Dave locks this thread

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 10:54:49 PM »
Reread what you type and think before you hit "post"
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 11:23:56 PM »
So are you saying i

So are you saying include them too or just allow everyone in?

Poison

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 11:36:03 PM »
So are you saying i

I'm saying that if you think this is about our safety, your argument has some serious holes in it.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 11:37:04 PM »
Reread what you type and think before you hit "post"

Dave, Trump doesn't read this board.

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 11:45:26 PM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

I'm saying that if you think this is about our safety, your argument has some serious holes in it.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 11:51:22 PM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

No, I'm not saying just allow everyone in. I'm saying that Trump is a bigot, and his decision is driven by bigotry. It has nothing to do with our safety. Don't you find it telling that Saudi Arabia isn't one of the counties that has been banned?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:52:21 PM by Poison »

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 12:14:17 AM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

No, I'm not saying just allow everyone in. I'm saying that Trump is a bigot, and his decision is driven by bigotry. It has nothing to do with our safety. Don't you find it telling that Saudi Arabia isn't one of the counties that has been banned?

I'm  fine with including Saudi Arabia as well.  Trump being a bigot is your opinion
on Trump.  If the ban saves one American life it's worth it.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:15:09 AM by Moon Mullen »

goredmen

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 12:20:03 AM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

The 7 countries were the 7 countries named by Obama and his Department of Homeland Security as "countries of concern" and signed in to law in the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015. There are plenty of arguments to be made against this executive order by Trump, but he got those 7 countries straight from the Obama administration.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/158/text

My guess is more countries will be added in time.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 12:22:38 AM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

I'm  fine with including Saudi Arabia as well.  Trump being a bigot is your opinion on

How will this ban save lives? Trump has banned Muslim immigrants from countries who are not the country that is responsible for 9/11. Yet people from Saudi Arabia are welcome here. Instead of casually tossing them into the mix, shouldn't you question this choice?

Poison

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 12:28:49 AM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

The 7 countries were the 7 countries named by Obama and his Department of Homeland Security as "countries of concern" and signed in to law in the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015. There are plenty of arguments to be made against this executive order by Trump, but he got those 7 countries straight from the Obama administration.

Obama is a bad ass on immigration. That's probably why for the last 8 years we haven't been allowing terrorists into our country.

He's also significantly smarter than Trump. What is the point of announcing a ban to anyone? Just like what is the point of announcing your plans to bring back water boarding? Aren't you at least a little regretful that we now have a complete imbecile in the Oval Office?

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 01:17:07 AM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

Obama is a bad ass on immigration. That's probably why for the last 8 years we haven't been allowing terrorists into our country.

He's also significantly smarter than Trump. What is the point of announcing a ban to anyone? Just like what is the point of announcing your plans to bring back water boarding? Aren't you at least a little regretful that we now have a complete imbecile in the Oval Office?
Did you enjoy your visit?

Poison

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 01:40:27 AM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

Did you enjoy your visit?

Heh?

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 07:30:10 AM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

I'm  fine with including Saudi Arabia as well.  Trump being a bigot is your opinion on

How will this ban save lives? Trump has banned Muslim immigrants from countries who are not the country that is responsible for 9/11. Yet people from Saudi Arabia are welcome here. Instead of casually tossing them into the mix, shouldn't you question this choice?

The 7 countries are the top breeding areas for Isis at the moment. I don't see what the propblem is with more screening and vetting. As Mullin said, if it saves 1 American life it is a success.