Matt A

• 695 replies

Poison

Re: Matt A
« Reply #400 on: April 21, 2017, 08:32:48 PM »
Still dont get the Rice thing.

Feel like he's untouchable after his scandal, thats the only thing that comes to mind when I think of him and likely to first thin thats going to come to mind to recruits and for people who don't know what he did that'll be the first thing that shows up on a google search.

I believe he deserves a second chance but why are we the ones taking the risk and the 1st to give it to him?

Shouldn't he be an assistant coach at some small school that won't make a blip on the the national radar? Maybe go be an assistant for Manhattan or Iona for a year or 2 and prove he's a "changed man"   

If the move is solely to be in better shape with the kids he coaches in HS...i dont think its worth the risk of setting our team back again because Mike Rice decided to throw basketball at the players again

He's not untouchable. That would be some double standard. People change. It appears he has.

« Reply #401 on: April 22, 2017, 12:25:39 PM »
Hire Mike Rice

+1  I hope we do it ASAP (unless, they're waiting to do it in August).

« Reply #402 on: April 22, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
Hire Mike Rice

+1  I hope we do it ASAP (unless, they're waiting to do it in August).

Perhaps best chance for him to recruit is in current role ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #403 on: April 23, 2017, 04:29:40 PM »
Hire Mike Rice

Hearing more and more this is likely to happen.

ras

« Reply #404 on: April 23, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »
People could put down Rice all they want. But , let's face the facts, need someone w years of coaching exp. on the staff.  Will also help recruit NJ, which we haven't had luck w and won't demand a lot of money. He went to the Lucas camp, isn't an idiot , and knows his future depends on him behaving.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 04:36:11 PM by ras »

« Reply #405 on: April 23, 2017, 04:36:48 PM »
Hire Mike Rice

I'm assuming if so, then it'll be done after the spring and summer circuit.

« Reply #406 on: April 23, 2017, 04:56:57 PM »
Hire Mike Rice

Richmond moving back into special assistant role or St. Jean departure ?

« Reply #407 on: April 23, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »
Hire Mike Rice

I don't have an eta on this but since next weekend is the only live weekend left in the spring before the July live periods my guess is they would want something in place by the time July Evaluation period arrives.

« Reply #408 on: April 23, 2017, 05:06:46 PM »
Hire Mike Rice

I don't have an eta on this but since next weekend is the only live weekend left in the spring before the July live periods my guess is they would want something in place by the time July Evaluation period arrives.

That would certainly suffice, IMO.   Get 'er done!

Wods317

« Reply #409 on: April 23, 2017, 05:49:50 PM »
Hire Mike Rice

Great move. Hopefully it gets done

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #410 on: April 23, 2017, 08:04:51 PM »
Refresh my memory.... what big recruits did Rice bring to Rutgers? (Not sarcasm just don't remember)

« Reply #411 on: April 23, 2017, 08:54:47 PM »
Refresh my memory.... what big recruits did Rice bring to Rutgers? (Not sarcasm just don't remember)

He brought in the class with Myles Mack and Kadeem jack
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Wods317

« Reply #412 on: April 23, 2017, 09:17:29 PM »

He brought in the class with Myles Mack and Kadeem jack

He coaches a lot of good players at his current schools. I think that why people mention recruiting. I think he would help more with him gameolanning and x's and o's. His teams always played hard also.

Moose

« Reply #413 on: May 01, 2017, 11:19:14 AM »
Is it time for a new Twitter Q and A???
Remember who broke the Slice news

isham

« Reply #414 on: May 01, 2017, 07:40:30 PM »
Matt A should be embarrassed to cash his paycheck. Instead of recruiting I think he's sitting in some movie theater . This guy is a zero as a recruiter. Nice guy but should find another profession. Please don't get your hopes for 18.

ras

« Reply #415 on: May 01, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
I remember reading a post after Lavin was fired. A poster was talking to Keady and he told the poster how difficult it is to recruit for SJU. Of course Fun would argue if Lavin knew how to coach it would have been easier to recruit.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:52:42 PM by ras »

« Reply #416 on: May 01, 2017, 07:55:59 PM »
I said this about a month ago. How does the outside world view the St. John's program? A non factor. Same as DePaul. But actually DePaul has won an NCAA tournament game in the 21st century.  So ya, this is a hot mess

wpc77

« Reply #417 on: May 01, 2017, 08:33:53 PM »
I said this about a month ago. How does the outside world view the St. John's program? A non factor. Same as DePaul. But actually DePaul has won an NCAA tournament game in the 21st century.  So ya, this is a hot mess

Depaul hired a high school coach today as an assistant so they could lock doen top 50 players in 2017 and 2019, btw

« Reply #418 on: May 01, 2017, 08:36:09 PM »

Depaul hired a high school coach today as an assistant so they could lock doen top 50 players in 2017 and 2019, btw

Paging Mike Rice....

« Reply #419 on: May 01, 2017, 09:25:26 PM »
I don't agree with that all.   We aren't anywhere near that far down at this point.

I'm as disappointed as everyone we didn't beef up the front court some.  I still like our top 8; I love our back court.  There are positives for next year. 

Also, the Keady-comment that it is "hard" to recruit at St. John's is nonsense. Compared to who - Kentucky, Duke?  Lavin got plenty of talent his first 3 years.

I was a big fan of the Slice here but to say that we would be recruiting better if he were here isn't exactly fair, either.  By all accounts, he struck out on the kids he was pursuing year 1.  And, from what I've heard, Slice didn't exactly handle the situation well for sure.  Maybe he would have been productive, but I'm pretty content with our guys.  I think we will be much improved next year.