Matt A

• 695 replies

Foad

Re: Matt A
« Reply #500 on: May 14, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »
Everyone thought Ellison and RF were terrible until they left. That's why I love this board.

I still think they were terrible. I also think they could have gotten better, because few humans who practice something get worse. RF leaving after a year is nothing. Ellison leaving after two years is something, because we put up with two years of to-be-expected awfulness and lost him when logically he might become less than awful. In the big scheme it's no big deal except that continuity is important. For example, Mussini stinks, but I'm happy that he'll stink in this program for four years, because the alternative is two years of someone else stinking. At least I recognize Mussini and his number.

« Reply #501 on: May 14, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »
Does anyone think Ellison left because Simon was dominating him in practice? He could see the writing on the wall that Simon was going to start.

Poison

« Reply #502 on: May 14, 2017, 06:30:24 PM »
Does anyone think Ellison left because Simon was dominating him in practice? He could see the writing on the wall that Simon was going to start.

I think that kinda stuff happens at Arizona and Duke. Not here. I can't remember a top 150 recruit leaving because he was recruited over. Maybe Shannon Crooks. I think Ellison left because he struggled to play well consistently, or at all. And like many college-aged kids he probably doesn't think his poor performance was on him.

Marillac

« Reply #503 on: May 14, 2017, 08:39:58 PM »

No simon and we still have Ellison. No doubt in my mind.

« Reply #504 on: May 14, 2017, 09:44:07 PM »

I hope so.

goredmen

« Reply #505 on: March 24, 2018, 10:28:30 PM »
I hate being the guy that starts stuff especially when there's probably nothing to it but....

Remember around this time last year when Will Wade was named head coach at LSU and Matt started following all of those LSU accounts on Twitter and there was legit fire to go along with the smoke in the Matt to LSU rumors.

Well, a couple very interesting new follows by Matt on Twitter...

« Reply #506 on: March 24, 2018, 10:49:43 PM »
Players? Coaches? Admin ? Team Site ?

goredmen

« Reply #507 on: March 24, 2018, 10:56:56 PM »

Recently followed Dan Hurley and Andy Toole. Toole just interviewed for the Pitt job. This is most likely just way overanalyzing but I'm pretty sure the only other college coach he follows is Will Wade. So that along with the timing of it all just has me thinking

« Reply #508 on: March 24, 2018, 10:58:57 PM »

Recently followed Dan Hurley and Andy Toole. Toole just interviewed for the Pitt job. This is most likely just way overanalyzing but I'm pretty sure the only other college coach he follows is Will Wade. So that along with the timing of it all just has me thinking

When he starts following Rick Pitino let me know...

« Reply #509 on: March 25, 2018, 05:30:41 AM »
I hate being the guy that starts stuff especially when there's probably nothing to it but....

Remember around this time last year when Will Wade was named head coach at LSU and Matt started following all of those LSU accounts on Twitter and there was legit fire to go along with the smoke in the Matt to LSU rumors.

I can say confidently if he leaves the school is fine with it. He isn't getting fired but higher powers are tired of the money gran and he isn't the only one

And no-one has forgotten the article he wrote in the post last year knocking the staff but not him
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 05:31:51 AM by mjmaherjr »

Johnny23

« Reply #510 on: March 25, 2018, 09:04:53 AM »

I can say confidently if he leaves the school is fine with it. He isn't getting fired but higher powers are tired of the money gran and he isn't the only one

And no-one has forgotten the article he wrote in the post last year knocking the staff but not him

If the higher powers knew how to hire a competent HC and staff then a money grab would be the least of their worries.

« Reply #511 on: March 25, 2018, 09:14:45 AM »

I am always fascinated with this, last time I checked Matt doesn't have a lifetime contract.   His assistant contract needs to be re-upped in addition his boss is the HC of SJU who can get rid of him anytime.   This is not some sort of hostage situation, he holds zero power or authority at SJU.  Do you think if Mike Krzyzewski is dissatisfied with any assistant he is somehow forced to keep him? 

Matt is here because Chris wants him here, you have a problem with that you have a problem with Chris as the head coach, period.   Stop making this about an assistant.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:17:40 AM by fordham96 »

Poison

« Reply #512 on: March 25, 2018, 09:15:30 AM »
I wonder, if the school is fine w Matt leaving, who would they not be fine with leaving?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:15:46 AM by Poison »

« Reply #513 on: March 25, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »

Man, that is worrisome to read, especially since he's the only one we have recruiting. Not good especially with such an important recruiting class coming up.

« Reply #514 on: March 25, 2018, 09:35:23 AM »

Man, that is worrisome to read, especially since he's the only one we have recruiting. Not good especially with such an important recruiting class coming up.

Where is recruiting?

Johnny23

« Reply #515 on: March 25, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »
He leaves and 2 star recruits become the norm around here, no pun intended.

« Reply #516 on: March 25, 2018, 09:52:40 AM »

I am always fascinated with this, last time I checked Matt doesn't have a lifetime contract.   His assistant contract needs to be re-upped in addition his boss is the HC of SJU who can get rid of him anytime.   This is not some sort of hostage situation, he holds zero power or authority at SJU.  Do you think if Mike Krzyzewski is dissatisfied with any assistant he is somehow forced to keep him? 

Matt is here because Chris wants him here, you have a problem with that you have a problem with Chris as the head coach, period.   Stop making this about an assistant.
it's not about a lifetime contract but people within the school have been annoyed by him always wanting more money since after the first season. This is a separate issue than the coach which is why I didnt mention the coach. Matt wont get fired because they aren't eating any of his contract which I'm pretty sure he got raise last year and I was told he is the highest paid assistant in the big east. Well at least that's what someone from the school said.. DO I want him to leave ? No. But all I said is if he took another job the school wouldn't be upset. And thats a FACT and I'm not speaking for Mullin. This comes from the school as of maybe 4 months ago
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:56:20 AM by mjmaherjr »

paultzman

« Reply #517 on: March 25, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »

it's not about a lifetime contract but people within the school have been annoyed by him always wanting more money since after the first season. This is a separate issue than the coach which is why I didnt mention the coach. Matt wont get fired because they aren't eating any of his contract which I'm pretty sure he got raise last year and I was told he is the highest paid assistant in the big east. Well at least that's what someone from the school said.. DO I want him to leave ? No. But all I said is if he took another job the school wouldn't be upset. And thats a FACT and I'm not speaking for Mullin. This comes from the school as of maybe 4 months ago

Mullin needs to manage thus internal stuff, but it appears he is a very lay back guy. Not bashing him, but as a “manager” I thought he also needed to resolve Slice discontent & his differences with Matt. The latter created bad optics and gave grist for the mill to our competitors. Lord knows he brokered great salaries for these guys & should have just told them to suck it up & stop the nonsense. Just my take, but maybe there was more to it. In any event this assistant coach drama has not been helpful.

« Reply #518 on: March 25, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »

Mullin needs to manage thus internal stuff, but it appears he is a very lay back guy. Not bashing him, but as a “manager” I thought he also needed to resolve Slice discontent & his differences with Matt. The latter created bad optics and gave grist for the mill to our competitors. Lord knows he brokered great salaries for these guys & should have just told them to suck it up & stop the nonsense. Just my take, but maybe there was more to it. In any event this assistant coach drama has not been helpful.
agreed

« Reply #519 on: March 25, 2018, 10:25:39 AM »

Hate to break it to you but this is not how assistant coaching contracts work and Chris controls it as does every HC.

Furthermore if SJU is being hamstrung by its 3rd assistant then everyone involved with the program from Chris Mullin to the AD should be fired immediately.

Furthermore there is no way in hell Chris allows a assistant to negotiate a contract without his explicit endorsement nor would any HC.  They wouldn't be a HC then. 

And lastly if Matt's contract is so punitive that he can't be fired then SJU does belong in the MAAC.