• 411 replies
Re: Transfer wish list
« Reply #240 on: April 25, 2017, 09:55:28 AM »
It is called kicking tires.

Wods317

« Reply #241 on: April 25, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
Jeez
I dont think today was a very good day for Matt.

Skecic, Kiss, Mike, Wooten, Cheatem.

So far he's shooting 1/6

And if we dont get Kante is 1/7

Don't think we know of any other targets this offseason that hasn't commited to another school.

Curious, what's a good percentage for landing recruits for a non Top 25 team?

No clue. We've never really been on the Transfer game recently before Mullin/Matt got here.  Lavin got us Branch... and I think that was it.
So don't know about your question, but common sense tells me if you have 8 or 9 targets and you come away with 1 of them...thats not very good. I still have tremendous faith in our staff but I would like to go into this season not fielding the same team that finished 8th in the Big East.

Clark, Simon and by all accounts Kante. Not the same team at all. I get that we missed on a couple of guys but they were all guys we were recruiting for a few days or weeks, not huge misses. Who knows if those kids ever had interest in SJU, Matt was just covering his bases.

derk

« Reply #242 on: April 25, 2017, 02:10:59 PM »
Did Wooten commit somewhere?  Please, not Seton Hall...
Oregon Ducks

And did I miss Skecic ? I'd like that 7 foot frame.

Committed to USF, apparently we never offered.

Wow. Can't figure that one out.

Moose

« Reply #243 on: April 25, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
Oregon Ducks

Its pretty easy.  We didnt offer him.  We were leverage for him trying to drum up interest
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:50:45 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

Wods317

« Reply #244 on: April 25, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »
Oregon Ducks

Its pretty easy.  We didnt offer him.  We were leverage for him trying to drum up interest

I would have been okay with it if we took him but it is very easy to figure why we didn't. He barely played in JUCO last season. He may have size but if he had more talent he would have played more and had more then one offer.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:54:01 PM by Wods317 »

« Reply #245 on: April 25, 2017, 09:09:40 PM »
We may have to settle for Hamdy from VCU or McIntosh from Illinois State if that's all we can get, but we have to get a graduate transfer Big.

« Reply #246 on: April 25, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »
We may have to settle for Hamdy from VCU or McIntosh from Illinois State if that's all we can get, but we have to get a graduate transfer Big.

McIntosh entered the draft, but he didn't hire an agent, so chances are he'll pull out at some point.  If he does, then hopefully we'll pounce.

goredmen

« Reply #247 on: April 25, 2017, 09:28:52 PM »

I don't think we're in the mix for either. And we wouldn't be "settling" for McIntosh, that would be a steal but wouldn't make much sense for him or us since we are already crowded at that position

Marillac

« Reply #248 on: April 26, 2017, 11:18:44 AM »
I don't understand how the staff can lose Williams and not add anyone to the front court and think that is okay. What about Kameron Rooks? His dad played in the NBA with Mitch and Chris. Our only center played 18.8 mpg when we needed him to play 40. Pretty easy sell.  Zanna from LIU? 6'8 240 and pushed our bigs around last season.

A grad transfer does nothing to impede a 2018 class. We need a guy that can play center and not get abused down low.

« Reply #249 on: April 26, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »
When I first saw Kameron rooks on teh grad transfer list I thought this was a no brainer. I do not get the lack of interest in him. Wonder if he is still available

QuanMan

« Reply #250 on: April 26, 2017, 11:41:59 AM »
I don't understand how the staff can lose Williams and not add anyone to the front court and think that is okay. What about Kameron Rooks? His dad played in the NBA with Mitch and Chris. Our only center played 18.8 mpg when we needed him to play 40. Pretty easy sell.  Zanna from LIU? 6'8 240 and pushed our bigs around last season.

A grad transfer does nothing to impede a 2018 class. We need a guy that can play center and not get abused down low.

I agree with you and have been asking the same questions, but we might be undervaluing the Clark/Kante/Yakwe tandem at the 4. When understanding that Mullin wants to speed it up, press, shoot early into shot clocks and play small ball, grabbing a extra traditional big might not do much. But when the extra scholarship is there, why not utilize the additional insurance on a one year rental?
Section 3
Section 116

ras

« Reply #251 on: April 26, 2017, 12:05:35 PM »

I agree with you and have been asking the same questions, but we might be undervaluing the Clark/Kante/Yakwe tandem at the 4. When understanding that Mullin wants to speed it up, press, shoot early into shot clocks and play small ball, grabbing a extra traditional big might not do much. But when the extra scholarship is there, why not utilize the additional insurance on a one year rental?
The problem isn't the 4 , its the 5. last year couldnt get 20 minutes a game from Owens. Yakwe doesn't give me confidence at the 5. And have to be prepared for injury.

QuanMan

« Reply #252 on: April 26, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »

The problem isn't the 4 , its the 5. last year couldnt get 20 minutes a game from Owens. Yakwe doesn't give me confidence at the 5. And have to be prepared for injury.

Agreed, and the scholarship is available to use, I don't get it.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #253 on: April 26, 2017, 12:21:37 PM »

Agreed, and the scholarship is available to use, I don't get it.

I get it.
"Hey we want you to come to St Johns"
"No."
"Okay."

« Reply #254 on: April 26, 2017, 12:25:54 PM »
People are acting like the lack of a grad transfer is intentional by the staff.  It isn't that easy.  Most of the better grad transfers this year were guards and most of the big were either not worth going after or not interested in SJU or both.

The one thing you can hit the staff with is coming off of French and going after Zach Brown.  French isn't a stud but was solid enough to get minutes freshman year.  In retrospect Brown was simply not worth the risk, way too many red flags that came to pass.

« Reply #255 on: April 26, 2017, 12:28:31 PM »
Is it possible one of the fourth year juniors testing the draft could be brought in?

« Reply #256 on: April 26, 2017, 12:30:36 PM »
The one thing you can hit the staff with is coming off of French and going after Zach Brown.  French isn't a stud but was solid enough to get minutes freshman year.  In retrospect Brown was simply not worth the risk, way too many red flags that came to pass.

French is the bruiser we could certainly use and he's a legit four-year player.  Personally, I think he would've given us good minutes this upcoming season.

« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2017, 12:32:27 PM »
Is it possible one of the fourth year juniors testing the draft could be brought in?

Anything is possible but this notion that people equate not landing someone with NOT trying is just nonsense. 

Let me give you an example.  A baseball player is hitting .280.  I say, "I can't understand why that player is not hitting .350."  Must be that he is not trying right???  LOL!!!

Marillac

« Reply #258 on: April 26, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »
People are acting like the lack of a grad transfer is intentional by the staff.  It isn't that easy.  Most of the better grad transfers this year were guards and most of the big were either not worth going after or not interested in SJU or both.

It may not be intentional, but it clearly isn't a priority. Matt A said himself that he feels great about the front court and he is just looking to add one more player (presumably Kante).

There is no way Zanna chooses Houston over us if we wanted him. He abused our guys when he played us and knows where he'll fit in. Who cares what kind of top end add-ons a boat has if it can't float. Our font court was the equivalent of a huge hole in a hull last year.

paultzman

« Reply #259 on: April 26, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »

Very good point on French/Brown