Ewing

• 34 replies
Re: Ewing
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 01:15:09 PM »
I question if this transfer route will be able to sustain any long term success.

I recently told a fellow fan the same thing. 

I think it's a way to accelerate more balance and consistency in high school recruiting. We're probably leaning on it more heavily due to roster turnover and imbalance that dates back to Norm.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »
Bottom line is nostalgia or not no one will care about either if they don't win.

The thinking is similar,  since both are inextricably linked to both programs and care deeply about the future of each program both will do everything humanly possible to succeed and neither has an eye somewhere else.

Agreed Fordham. The Ewing hire has indirectly amplified the pressure on Mullin to dismiss this 'failure to rebuild the nostalgia of the BE' storyline. We as fans will reap the benefits bc Mullin is a fierce competitor and will stop at nothing to silence the critics. The infamous Jeff Goodman, Bill Simmons, and local writer Josh Newman all mocked the Big East nostalgia theme on Twitter today. The knocks will continue until both programs get back to a elite level. I'm rooting for Ewing and look forward to the Garden sellouts w he and Mullin patrolling the sidelines in the years to come.

Another example of the indirect pressure that has been amplified on Mullin with this hire-

Adam Wexler‏
@awexlerKPRC

Follow
 More
Max Kellerman on Patrick Ewing to Georgetown,"How'd that workout when St. John's went to Chris Mullin or when Drexler went to Houston." geez

Just on records pretty close
Drexler-19-39 (327)
Mullin22-43 (338)

Stop.  You cannot criticize Chris Mullin.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 02:42:27 PM »
Bottom line is nostalgia or not no one will care about either if they don't win.

The thinking is similar,  since both are inextricably linked to both programs and care deeply about the future of each program both will do everything humanly possible to succeed and neither has an eye somewhere else.

Agreed Fordham. The Ewing hire has indirectly amplified the pressure on Mullin to dismiss this 'failure to rebuild the nostalgia of the BE' storyline. We as fans will reap the benefits bc Mullin is a fierce competitor and will stop at nothing to silence the critics. The infamous Jeff Goodman, Bill Simmons, and local writer Josh Newman all mocked the Big East nostalgia theme on Twitter today. The knocks will continue until both programs get back to a elite level. I'm rooting for Ewing and look forward to the Garden sellouts w he and Mullin patrolling the sidelines in the years to come.

Another example of the indirect pressure that has been amplified on Mullin with this hire-

Adam Wexler‏
@awexlerKPRC

Follow
 More
Max Kellerman on Patrick Ewing to Georgetown,"How'd that workout when St. John's went to Chris Mullin or when Drexler went to Houston." geez

Just on records pretty close
Drexler-19-39 (327)
Mullin22-43 (338)

Stop.  You cannot criticize Chris Mullin.

I am not and I really haven't but I understand why I haven't. Only a crazy person would think we haven't hit a speed bump or 20 here.
Really only Chris Mullin or Walter Berry would be afforded this blind allegiance or just complacency by me.

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 01:00:05 AM »
Congrats Patrick!

Hated him on the Hoyas - loved him on the Knicks.

Chris no longer the least experienced coach in the league.

Oakley and Starks asst. coach candidates.

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 06:08:53 AM »
I question if this transfer route will be able to sustain any long term success.

I recently told a fellow fan the same thing. 

Gonzaga started three transfers. As with all recruiting, it comes down to finding the right players. A good mix of young transfers and grad transfers seems to help as well.

tnice

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 09:47:26 AM »
Congrats Patrick!

Patrick Ewing has been an NBA assistant coach for 13 years. Pretty sure coach Mullin is still the least experienced coach in the league.

redslope

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
Georgetown has more ethics than White House.  Asst. Coach Ewing JR. will be let go as they have a nepotism clause.  Seems crazy with an AC position but.......

Wods317

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »
Georgetown has more ethics than White House.  Asst. Coach Ewing JR. will be let go as they have a nepotism clause.  Seems crazy with an AC position but.......

Heard that this morning. I get the reason for the clause but the kid is already on the staff so I don't get why they can't make an exception here.

Moose

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 12:54:53 PM »

If only SJU had that in the late 90's
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »
Congrats Patrick!

Patrick Ewing has been an NBA assistant coach for 13 years. Pretty sure coach Mullin is still the least experienced coach in the league.

Oh no.  I'm wrong again?

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2017, 02:43:43 PM »
Congrats Patrick!

Oh no.  I'm wrong again?
Do you really even have to ask?  ;) :)

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »
Waters was finally granted his release:

https://twitter.com/Tremonth2o/status/850143243740356608

Poison

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 11:31:05 PM »

If only SJU had that in the late 90's

That would have changed nothing.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2017, 01:39:40 PM »
It would awesome to creat an alumni game once a year before a SJU/GT game, where the game alternates between GT and NYC every year....Or just have it at MSG. SJU he not been the best at embracing their former players, and have two legendary players now coaches back in the league is a great opportunity to make that reconnection.  Have the student managers be the coaches for the game, with the old timers as asst coaches.

Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2017, 04:18:42 PM »
Wanted to suggest not having any more posts on this thread to leave it at 33 but dang if I'm not the one to ruin the idea.  :knuppel2: