Freudenberg headed overseas

• 75 replies

PIB

Re: Freudenberg headed overseas
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2017, 07:27:29 PM »
Well, I wish him well and wish us well as well.

MCNPA

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
Mullin was in NBA offices for 15 years, the level might've changed but the mindset hasn't. This is Mullin the GM. These players are being told to leave, better talent is coming in. This is being ran as a professional organization. The coming months will prove such.

Are you a little surprised that of the players who have left, our worst player isn't one of them?

Our worst player was one of them.  Freudenberg...  Amar has been productive at times.  There were no signs at this point that Freudenberg would have surpassed that point.  Our worst players did leave..

So players don't get better from their freshman year to their senior year? Give me a break.

Freudenberg was a 4 star prospect for a reason. Everybody knew he would need time to adjust to the American college game and that he wasn't going to average 10 ppg as a freshman. 6-9 kids that can shoot don't grow on trees. Even if he would have just developed into a competent catch and shoot shooter over the next 3 years he would have been more productive than Amar

First off, there's nothing about Freudenberg that was "consensus 4 star".  Most ratings don't even rate Europeans so I'm not sure where you're getting that from? 

Second, I said our worst player left because that is the truth.  He left as our worst player statistically.   He chose not to stick around. Alibegovic has been here a few years, hustled, got better and helped us win a few games.  Freudenberg did zero.  I don't blame him for that, but bailing instead of trying to prove he can play at this level isn't a "pro" move in any aspect.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 07:31:04 PM by MCNPA »

Johnny23

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »
Game was clearly above him this year (speed and size).  But I was looking forward to a full summer of development and hopefully be a rotation player 2017-18 and perhaps more by his Junior year.  A little disappointed.

Yeah was bummed to read the news. I was a Freud believer and thought he had a lot of upside for the next 3 years.

goredmen

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2017, 08:08:19 PM »
Mullin was in NBA offices for 15 years, the level might've changed but the mindset hasn't. This is Mullin the GM. These players are being told to leave, better talent is coming in. This is being ran as a professional organization. The coming months will prove such.

Are you a little surprised that of the players who have left, our worst player isn't one of them?

Our worst player was one of them.  Freudenberg...  Amar has been productive at times.  There were no signs at this point that Freudenberg would have surpassed that point.  Our worst players did leave..

So players don't get better from their freshman year to their senior year? Give me a break.

Freudenberg was a 4 star prospect for a reason. Everybody knew he would need time to adjust to the American college game and that he wasn't going to average 10 ppg as a freshman. 6-9 kids that can shoot don't grow on trees. Even if he would have just developed into a competent catch and shoot shooter over the next 3 years he would have been more productive than Amar

First off, there's nothing about Freudenberg that was "consensus 4 star".  Most ratings don't even rate Europeans so I'm not sure where you're getting that from? 

Second, I said our worst player left because that is the truth.  He left as our worst player statistically.   He chose not to stick around. Alibegovic has been here a few years, hustled, got better and helped us win a few games.  Freudenberg did zero.  I don't blame him for that, but bailing instead of trying to prove he can play at this level isn't a "pro" move in any aspect.

http://247sports.com/player/richard-freudenberg-85519

http://www.scout.com/player/200793-richard-freudenberg

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/50782

MCNPA

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2017, 08:40:10 PM »

Hey you're right.  Not sure how they come up with that BS, probably the same people that brought us Neil Fingleton and that British center I think we signed at one point...

goredmen

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2017, 08:43:26 PM »

Hey you're right.  Not sure how they come up with that BS, probably the same people that brought us Neil Fingleton and that British center I think we signed at one point...

Yes, because again, nobody ever improves over the course of their 4 years in college. Ok

Foad

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2017, 08:44:03 PM »
bailing instead of trying to prove he can play at this level isn't a "pro" move in any aspect.

Bailing is an unfair characterization. He's going back to his home country in order to play professional basketball. If he were transferring to a mid major school like Iona in order to pad his statistics against inferior competition that would be bailing. If what's reported is true he's doing nothing other than what any number of other players do or consider doing: moving on to make money playing basketball. Even if he were an NBA talent - which is highly debatable and only a consideration because of his size - he's years away from that.  So he's taking the money. Good for him.

desco80

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »
We are maintaining our core and trimming the fat around it. Replace inefficient talent with 4-5 ready made players and watch out. Lets see what Abs has up his sleeve. Nothing that has transpired over the past two weeks has me sweating. I think its encouraging actually. We aren't losing talent, we're getting rid of the players that can't hang in the BE.

Malik-Darien-Rich-Amar&Jessica-Nothing to fret over one bit.

Shamorie-Marcus-Bash-Moose-Yak-Tariq-Marv-JSimon...I really like that team. To think that we can fill in the gaps and add to this core is very exciting.

Jessica?

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2017, 09:15:44 PM »
To me, this is just further evidence that Lovett is staying for at least one more year. Freudenberg probably thought he would get sometime at the 3 spot. However, if Lovett stays and now Simon comes in. That's 4 guards at the 1 and 2 (assuming Mussini is staying as well). Too much talent to divy up mins at those 2 spots. So one or two of those guys will be playing some decent minutes at the 3. This will eat into his minutes because he's definitely not a 4 or 5.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:16:17 PM by Johnny4Life »

MCNPA

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2017, 10:01:24 PM »
bailing instead of trying to prove he can play at this level isn't a "pro" move in any aspect.

Bailing is an unfair characterization. He's going back to his home country in order to play professional basketball. If he were transferring to a mid major school like Iona in order to pad his statistics against inferior competition that would be bailing. If what's reported is true he's doing nothing other than what any number of other players do or consider doing: moving on to make money playing basketball. Even if he were an NBA talent - which is highly debatable and only a consideration because of his size - he's years away from that.  So he's taking the money. Good for him.

Fair enough.  I'm still skeptical of the "going pro" thing,  but I'm sure it's a better move.    My "bailing" was mainly in the context that we lost our worst player merely because he was unproductive and chose to move on.  Not faulting him for it.  I was still hoping we'd see the Freud from the Baruch game but got none of it.  Just noting that Alibegovic was more productive, if unspectacular.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:03:10 PM by MCNPA »

QuanMan

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2017, 10:44:01 PM »
We are maintaining our core and trimming the fat around it. Replace inefficient talent with 4-5 ready made players and watch out. Lets see what Abs has up his sleeve. Nothing that has transpired over the past two weeks has me sweating. I think its encouraging actually. We aren't losing talent, we're getting rid of the players that can't hang in the BE.

Malik-Darien-Rich-Amar&Jessica-Nothing to fret over one bit.

Shamorie-Marcus-Bash-Moose-Yak-Tariq-Marv-JSimon...I really like that team. To think that we can fill in the gaps and add to this core is very exciting.

Jessica?

A one Ms. Turberry, Desco, who certainly didn't help out Matt at the negotiating table lmao- https://twitter.com/JessicaTurberry
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2017, 11:22:37 PM »

If you want to play in the tournament, come to Iona. If you want to play on instagram.....

Marillac

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2017, 03:07:43 AM »
Incredibly disappointing news. I thought he could have been a potential stud in two years. This really doesn't affect next season at all, though. The only silver lining here is that there is a good chance he left because of how good Simon and Clark are and/or knowing about a transfer coming aboard.

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »
I guess our European experiments have failed.  Time to grab grad students who have no NBA potential.

Poison

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2017, 10:04:41 AM »

I'm praying that Amar is next Poison, as stated by the JJ big wigs last week.

When you lose 5 would be returning players, even if they weren't so great, you're losing continuity. Not many, but those guys helped us win some games. Staff has to bring in improvements to what left. Judging by what appears to be available, they should be able to, but they have competition. Especially for bigs.

Poison

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2017, 10:06:14 AM »
To me, this is just further evidence that Lovett is staying for at least one more year. Freudenberg probably thought he would get sometime at the 3 spot. However, if Lovett stays and now Simon comes in. That's 4 guards at the 1 and 2 (assuming Mussini is staying as well). Too much talent to divy up mins at those 2 spots. So one or two of those guys will be playing some decent minutes at the 3. This will eat into his minutes because he's definitely not a 4 or 5.

LoVett already said that he's coming back. So, you're right.

cjfish

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2017, 11:09:27 AM »
A shame, upside for this kid was huge.  His youth (17-18) and inexperience  with the American game was a problem but I am  certain he would have developed into a starter.  Will follow his career to see if I am right.  He has the potential to comeback to the US in 4 or 5 years and play in the NBA.

MCNPA

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »

When you lose 5 would be returning players, even if they weren't so great, you're losing continuity. Not many, but those guys helped us win some games. Staff has to bring in improvements to what left. Judging by what appears to be available, they should be able to, but they have competition. Especially for bigs.

We aren't losing any continuity except for Ellison who did help us at times.  Don't forget, we had Simon and Clark sitting out, practicing with the team and waiting.  Those two were going to get big minutes no matter what, so we aren't losing all that much.   Williams with 3.8/2.6 per game I don't think is gonna kill us, nor Freud.   Let's see who we land but I'm pretty sure we will be able to replace all losses with better players.

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2017, 12:04:51 PM »

We aren't losing any continuity except for Ellison who did help us at times.  Don't forget, we had Simon and Clark sitting out, practicing with the team and waiting.  Those two were going to get big minutes no matter what, so we aren't losing all that much.   Williams with 3.8/2.6 per game I don't think is gonna kill us, nor Freud.   Let's see who we land but I'm pretty sure we will be able to replace all losses with better players.

The key to picking up three and four star players is they usually stay till their senior years.  Good seniors help us compete.  Having these players leave after one or two seasons hurts us.  You're sure we'll be able to replace all losses with better players.  I don't see any better players on the board.  I know we'll be throwing roses in their paths if they sign with us...only to throw them in the discard pile after the first loss. If we're getting "one and done's", we should make them the five star variety.  The recruiting so far is worse than Carnesecca-like lazy. 

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
A shame, upside for this kid was huge.  His youth (17-18) and inexperience  with the American game was a problem but I am  certain he would have developed into a starter.  Will follow his career to see if I am right.  He has the potential to comeback to the US in 4 or 5 years and play in the NBA.

I think he has the potential in 4 or 5 years to be 22 or 23. Other that that not as high on his future as you are.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 12:09:11 PM by we are sju »