Re-recruit Williams????

• 26 replies

hnk

Re-recruit Williams????
« on: April 11, 2017, 03:37:22 PM »
Any chance of re-recruiting Williams?  We need size and have minutes. 

Marillac

Re: Re-recruit Williams????
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 04:02:36 PM »

It was an odd separation to say the least.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »

It was an odd separation to say the least.

The smell of desperation is beginning to reach my nostrils.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 07:57:23 PM »
we might have to pay him soon and I'm not sure I'd be against that

Poison

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:50:54 AM »
The staff only makes exceptions in cases like Alibegovic.

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 10:15:19 AM »
The clamoring to re-recruit a guy who averaged 3.8/2.6 per game I can't understand.  Am I missing something?  People rather this than guys like Kante or take a chance on a 7'2" kid?

derk

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »
The clamoring to re-recruit a guy who averaged 3.8/2.6 per game I can't understand.  Am I missing something?  People rather this than guys like Kante or take a chance on a 7'2" kid?

Easy to explain. No one is choosing Williams over Kante. Yes, you're missing the frustration of guys leaving but no one coming back. Where are the bigs that we're recruiting ?

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 10:27:22 AM »
He is a useful player. He plays defense and is phyisical. He was by far our best post defender.

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 10:37:40 AM »
He is a useful player. He plays defense and is phyisical. He was by far our best post defender.

And he has a brain
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »

And he has a brain
Yes

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 10:41:37 AM »

Yeah but that's not saying much. 

MCNPA

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »

Easy to explain. No one is choosing Williams over Kante. Yes, you're missing the frustration of guys leaving but no one coming back. Where are the bigs that we're recruiting ?

These guys decided to leave like a week or two ago.  People want them replaced with Dikembe Mutumbo in a day.  We didn't lose anybody who really did much at all except Ellison.  If we land a guy like Kante, I don't think we miss Williams 3/2 average at all.  Also, at this point, Alibegovic hasn't left.  Doesn't mean he won't, but hasn't yet. 

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 11:42:04 AM »
I really liked DWill as a player and as a teammate. But the dude is made of glass, he can't be counted on.

TONYD3

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 11:48:17 AM »

Yeah but that's not saying much. 
Ahmed is terrible on defense. Yakwe doesn't battle for position or box out. Owens just tries to block shots. Williams would be great if he could play more minutes. Still I like him for 10/15 minutes a game.

derk

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 02:27:30 PM »

These guys decided to leave like a week or two ago.  People want them replaced with Dikembe Mutumbo in a day.  We didn't lose anybody who really did much at all except Ellison.  If we land a guy like Kante, I don't think we miss Williams 3/2 average at all.  Also, at this point, Alibegovic hasn't left.  Doesn't mean he won't, but hasn't yet. 

At this stage we should put a full court press on Kante. We need to start filling some of these spots, otherwise we wind up with some 6'6 , 200 lb. kid from Mongolia.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 02:31:28 PM »

It's foolish to expect a 3* freshman to replace a redshirt JR who was a 3* himself out of high school. Williams was the only guy we had that could body anyone inside.

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
Waste of time and breath it's not happening move on.

Foad

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 03:44:08 PM »

"Williams isn't good. He is very bad. Old dominion and deleware state would live to have him. " TonyD3, when Williams was on scholarship.

"[Williams] is a useful player. He plays defense and is phyisical." TonyD3, after Williams transferred.

MCNPA

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »

It's foolish to expect a 3* freshman to replace a redshirt JR who was a 3* himself out of high school. Williams was the only guy we had that could body anyone inside.

It's not foolish to think if we land Kante he can't replace 3.5ppg, 2.5 rebs per game.  In fact if we land him, I bet he does significantly better than those numbers.  Not foolish in the least.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 04:01:24 PM »

It's not foolish to think if we land Kante he can't replace 3.5ppg, 2.5 rebs per game.  In fact if we land him, I bet he does significantly better than those numbers.  Not foolish in the least.

There's no question that Williams would have helped next year. The angst about him leaving though is ridiculous. When J Sampson left it was the best thing ever. When Chris Jones left his dozen double doubles were no big deal. Where's all the addition by subtraction talk.