Simon and Clark

• 16 replies
Simon and Clark
« on: April 26, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
Has anyone actually seen these 2 play? I'm assuming coming from Arizona and Michigan St,  they didn't come here to come off the bench. Obviously, we must assume Lovett and Ponds are the 1 and 2. Owens needs to be on the floor as many minutes as possible

wpc77

Re: Simon and Clark
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »
Has anyone actually seen these 2 play? I'm assuming coming from Arizona and Michigan St,  they didn't come here to come off the bench. Obviously, we must assume Lovett and Ponds are the 1 and 2. Owens needs to be on the floor as many minutes as possible

My buddy has msu season tickets and saw Clark play for 2 seasons.  Scoop was good offensove rebounder, nice jumper, good hands.  Didn't want to play the intense level of defense that Izzo demands

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 07:53:02 PM »
Friend is msu alum. Says Clark is a tough player who will help here. Clark was put in Izzos dog house for not practicing hard and low bball iq, according to him.  Plays hard but effort is inconsistent. He was disappointed that aclark transferred.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
So maybe I was wrong. Ahmed will be starting

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 09:50:06 PM »
Don't know much about either, except what I've read online.  I have no friends who are Zona fans, so all I know about Simon is that he was a highly regarded out of HS.  I do have a few friends who root for the Spartans, and they had nothing but good things to say about Clark.  Thought he would be a really good junior and senior for them and were sorry to lose him, which leads me to believe that he is going to be a solid player for us.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 07:06:30 PM »
As I previously stated, I think Simon will be somewhat of a project offensively, but will be a dynamic defender, rebounder, and open court player that will create a ton of easy baskets. The good news is a year and a half is a very long time and the staff seems to be able to max out every shooter...so he might be a lot further along than after his freshman year. My guess is 24 mpg.

Clark has all-league potential IMO -- with the right mindset. I am expecting year two Justin Brownlee contributions from him. It's hard not to see Joey Graham when you look at this kid. Graham was the same size at 6'7 230 and transferred from UCF after his soph year. He was the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year as a junior and then led Oklahoma St. to the Final Four as a senior. I think he'll be a nasty shooter from deep and impossible to deal with in the pick and roll/pop. My only concern is that he doesn't disregard his post duties.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »
Thanks Marillac. Was expecting more of a finished product in Simon

Johnny23

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 09:40:04 PM »
As I previously stated, I think Simon will be somewhat of a project offensively, but will be a dynamic defender, rebounder, and open court player that will create a ton of easy baskets. The good news is a year and a half is a very long time and the staff seems to be able to max out every shooter...so he might be a lot further along than after his freshman year. My guess is 24 mpg.

Clark has all-league potential IMO -- with the right mindset. I am expecting year two Justin Brownlee contributions from him. It's hard not to see Joey Graham when you look at this kid. Graham was the same size at 6'7 230 and transferred from UCF after his soph year. He was the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year as a junior and then led Oklahoma St. to the Final Four as a senior. I think he'll be a nasty shooter from deep and impossible to deal with in the pick and roll/pop. My only concern is that he doesn't disregard his post duties.

Does Clark really have that type of upside? I was thinking more of a solid rebounder, defender and low post scorer type. But sounds like you're real high on him. I hope he has that kind of potential.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 10:30:47 PM »

Jeff Robinson, Seton Hall version.  Better shooter
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 10:35:13 PM »

Does Clark really have that type of upside? I was thinking more of a solid rebounder, defender and low post scorer type. But sounds like you're real high on him. I hope he has that kind of potential.

I think he does. It all comes down to mentality. If he embraces the physical post game he was meant for, we got a stud. If he falls in love with the perimeter, he cuts into his potential. I think his shot will really surprise people. I also think he made a great move transferring when he did with Miles Bridges there for two years.

Mitch could really teach him a lot about bullying smaller defenders and scoring in the post. The pick and roll game should be strong next year. The NBA has that play down to a science and Chris and Mitch should demand perfection with it next year.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 10:40:51 PM »

Not a bad comp. He's much more skilled, though.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 10:47:31 PM »

Not a bad comp. He's much more skilled, though.

If he's much more skilled...

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »
For two years Clark played behind Brandon Dawson who was one of Michigan State's best players.

Wods317

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 11:58:00 AM »
These guys are obviously key. If they are event just as good as advertised along with improvement from the returning players it should be a pretty fun season. They both fill holes from last year and add dimensions that we had been lacking in. Simon is a defender and a long guard who runs the floor. Clark is a forward who can shoot and rebound. Will be great additions and locking forward to next two seasons with this duo.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 12:22:45 PM »
For two years Clark played behind Brandon Dawson who was one of Michigan State's best players.

This is very true. He also played behind their captain, Matt Costello, who was a senior and had to compete for minutes in the rotation with Erron Harris, Denzel Valetine and Javon Bess at the three when Tum Tum was playing PG and McDonalds All-American Deontay Davis (one and done) at the four.

The kid played 10 minutes (foul trouble) in the Final Four and 18 in the Elite Eight as a freshman.

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 01:16:33 PM »

This is very true. He also played behind their captain, Matt Costello, who was a senior and had to compete for minutes in the rotation with Erron Harris, Denzel Valetine and Javon Bess at the three when Tum Tum was playing PG and McDonalds All-American Deontay Davis (one and done) at the four.

The kid played 10 minutes (foul trouble) in the Final Four and 18 in the Elite Eight as a freshman.

He mostly came in for Dawson. Those 18 mins were because Dawson had early foul trouble. Had Dawson and Trice in my Tourney Top Gun that year so watched all of their tourney games. Clark will be fine.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 01:28:11 PM »

He mostly came in for Dawson. Those 18 mins were because Dawson had early foul trouble. Had Dawson and Trice in my Tourney Top Gun that year so watched all of their tourney games. Clark will be fine.

He got most of his 18 minutes playing center and PF at the end of regulation and overtime after Costello and Schilling fouled out. He scored the go-ahead basked with less than a minute in regulation and then ripped down an extremely impressive board over Mathiang and Montrezl Harrell where flipped Mathiang over his back after singing for it. Missed both FTs but then made a pair in OT to get the win.

Dawson was very good and was his mentor. Dawson's mentor was Draymond Green.