"Baldi Bowl"

• 200 replies

Foad

Re: "Baldi Bowl"
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2017, 06:51:57 AM »
You were relatively well behaved for months, what happened?

Matt A pulled a four star recruit out of his ass, that's what happened. Besides being a good thing for a program he hates and fears it destroys Baldi's short term narrative about Barry Rohrssen. And now he has a no win situation game against a BE team in MSG to look forward to: either Iona fans storm the court after they win their Superbowl in December against mighty St John's - and end up looking like Fordham fans - or they take a beating. Either way they lose. Which makes this a pretty bad week for the Gaels.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2017, 07:52:55 AM »
You were relatively well behaved for months, what happened?

Matt A pulled a four star recruit out of his ass, that's what happened. Besides being a good thing for a program he hates and fears it destroys Baldi's short term narrative about Barry Rohrssen. And now he has a no win situation game against a BE team in MSG to look forward to: either Iona fans storm the court after they win their Superbowl in December against mighty St John's - and end up looking like Fordham fans - or they take a beating. Either way they lose. Which makes this a pretty bad week for the Gaels.

You're right. This would be listed as a "bad loss" for Iona when the NCAA Tournament committee is doing the seeding in March. But I'm expecting a Gael victory, just hope this game isn't an RPI killer for NY's team

Poison

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2017, 08:31:58 AM »
Iona roster,  for now

G:McGill
G: Lewis
G: Much
F: Crawford
F: Edogi

G: Casimir
G: Seaforth
G: Santil
F: Griffin
F: Svandrlik
F: Williams
F: George
F: Still(sit out)

Who could present match up problems for St.John's?

Some nice matchups, will have to wait and see. Alot of new faces on Iona as usual. I want to see McGill on Ponds

I don't think you want to see McGill on Ponds. I don't think McGill wants to see it either. I think McGill could guard Mussini, but Ponds, LoVett and Simon will eat him alive. Now, we'll get to see if I'm right.

I think St.John's took a look at the Iona roster and began salivating.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:32:46 AM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2017, 08:54:23 AM »
This would be listed as a "bad loss" for Iona when the NCAA Tournament committee is doing the seeding in March.

Maac teams don't have bad losses, they are bad losses.

hnk

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »
Not even Paultz will come to Baldi's defense, since he's been unfairly attacking Matt.

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2017, 09:34:25 AM »
Not even Paultz will come to Baldi's defense, since he's been unfairly attacking Matt.

That you Scheppy?

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »
This would be listed as a "bad loss" for Iona when the NCAA Tournament committee is doing the seeding in March.

Agreed. Quinnipiac had 21 of them, yet here we are poaching their roster

Foad

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2017, 10:09:05 AM »

Agreed. Quinnipiac had 21 of them, yet here we are poaching their roster

There are no good players on bad teams, excellent point.

hnk

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2017, 10:13:05 AM »
Foad, leave Baldi alone. Its not a fair fight....

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2017, 10:16:03 AM »

Going to be a long 6 months for you boys

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2017, 10:31:46 AM »
Crowd 75/25 Iona ?

I went to ST John's vs Duke game couple years ago and stayed for first half of Iona vs Manhattan? I think. There were more people in my kitchen than at that game. They let me sit on Iona bench next to AJ English.

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2017, 10:33:47 AM »
Crowd 75/25 Iona ?

I went to ST John's vs Duke game couple years ago and stayed for first half of Iona vs Manhattan? I think. There were more people in my kitchen than at that game. They let me sit on Iona bench next to AJ English.

I was there. Think that was the game where Armand broke the MSG singLe game record for 3 point ters

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2017, 10:36:13 AM »
Crowd 75/25 Iona ?

I was there. Think that was the game where Armand broke the MSG singLe game record for 3 point ters

If a tree falls in the Forrest does it make a sound?
At one point they asked me to sub in. I had nowhere to put my beer and was worried that English might drink it so I declined.

Pete88

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2017, 10:38:12 AM »

Going to be a long 6 months for you boys

Glad to see you finally admit "You" are not one of "Us"

Pete88

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2017, 10:39:37 AM »
Crowd 75/25 Iona ?

WOW, impressive, must be a banner in the rafters for that great accomplishment. 

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:33 AM »
Crowd 75/25 Iona ?

WOW, impressive, must be a banner in the rafters for that great accomplishment. 

Yes. Right next to the 8th place banner

goredmen

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »
Pretty amazing there is so much buzz for a game against a team that hasn't beat a team from a power conference November of 2014. They have lost their last 5 games vs power conference teams by double digits.

As I've said forever, this is a complete no-win situation for SJU and Iona has everything to gain. If Iona is able to give us a good game in this one our season is not going to go the way we hope.

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2017, 02:44:06 PM »
Iona has finished the season with a top 100 RPI each of the last 8 seasons. Hovering from 60-85

If that stays to form, losing to them on a neutral court wont be a reason we stay out of NCAA Tournament.
Winning that game gives us top 100 RPI win.

So I like this matchup. Got a buddy that went to Iona for college, might try and force him to go to the game.

Also Iona is 3-29 against the Big East since 96 with most of their games being against Seton Hall and Rutgers (When Seton Hall was BE cellar dwellers)

desco80

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2017, 04:13:41 PM »
I'd have to give 'Nova the slight edge in terms of best BE backcourts for next season. Brunson, Donte and Booth returning. Ponds and LoVett should be right there though.

Simon is the starting PG unless he gets hurt.  Mark my words.   My guess is Lovett is a 6th man in name, plays big minutes though regardless.