"Baldi Bowl"

• 200 replies

Marillac

Re: "Baldi Bowl"
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2017, 09:58:38 PM »
I'd have to give 'Nova the slight edge in terms of best BE backcourts for next season. Brunson, Donte and Booth returning. Ponds and LoVett should be right there though.

Simon is the starting PG unless he gets hurt.  Mark my words.   My guess is Lovett is a 6th man in name, plays big minutes though regardless. 

Let's all say it together:  Justin Simon is NOT a point guard.
He is as much of a PG as Dom Pointer.

Simon is a PG that because of his size can play the 2 or the 3. The staff will treat him as such because him and Lovett are the only two guys on the roster that can be trusted playing PG

Ponds isn't trustworthy running the offense?

No. And we shouldn't want him in that role. He's at his best as a 2

This is crazier than your post about Delgado not doing anything better than an average NBA player. Just because Ponds can score doesn't mean he isn't a PG. Conversely, just because Simon can't shoot that doesn't mean we default him to PG. Simon's dribble is high and loose and he only has one hand. He can passs very well, but so could Freudenberg. Ponds is the best passer we've had since at least Omar Cook and he has the best court awareness of anyone I've ever seen wear a St. John's jersey.

Simon has less guard skills than Ellison. Judged as a pure PG, I'd rate Simon's handle a 3-4 out of 10. His passing has developed over his career to compensate for his his lack of shooting ability, but I am curious to see wha a year and a half with Mullin and Richmond did to that awful shot  (everyone seems to be able to shoot well with this staff). I'd imagine Simon would bring the ball up from time to time, take guys off the bounce going downhill off a weave or screen, and may even run the offense for a short stretch with a favorable matchup, but he is clearly not a PG. This is really not up for reasonable debate either.

You're talking about Simon like you've watched him play for 4 years. I'm willing to bet you've seen nothing more than youtube videos of him. Everybody including the staff seems to see him as PG except you. Ponds getting significant PG minutes would be nothing short of stupid. He excels as a 2 at this level, why mess with that?

Also if Delgado does things better than an average NBA player why isn't he in the top 100 of draft prospects for this year?

Delgado rebounds the ball better than just about everyone on this planet.  Whether that alone makes him a high prospect is not the issue.  Your statement was that he didn't do anything better than NBA power forwards.

Simon is a not a PG.  Everyone will realize that game 1.  Maybe he can get himself there by the end of his senior year if he busts his ass, but he's certainly not one now.  He played exclusively SF for Arizona and I went back and watched some of those games after he popped for us.  He's raw for a wing...athletic as hell, but raw.  We don't need a PG next year anyway, we need a SF.

Delgado would not even be an above average rebounder in the NBA. If he was he'd be in the conversation to get drafted this year or next, but he's not.

Simon never played in more than 6 minutes in a game from February on in the season that he played at Arizona. Plus PJC and Kadeem Allen were on their roster that year and he wasn't playing PG over them. So they did what we are going to do and play him at the 3 when we have our PG on the floor because he has the size to do so. If he's a guard with no shooting skills and no point guard skills how was he a top 25 prospect that drew the attention of Arizona? I don't care how big/athletic you are, if you can't shoot or play PG you aren't a top 25 prospect

Dom Pointer was ranked #35 and couldn't shoot or dribble.

So either Simon is going to succeed at PG or he's not going to succeed at all

What a truly bizarre thing to write. What kind of logic is that? Simon is 6'5 210 with a 7 ft wingspan and elite athletic ability. How many PGs fit that physical profile? He could make all league averaging less than 6 pts and 1 assist per game if he maxed his ability on d and the glass.

We have a pair of 6'0 170 lb dynamic guards to handle point. Let him play SF and put some of his skills to use against less skilled SFs.

Dom didn't succeed here until he was forced to play the 4. Simon is not playing the 4. You can't only succeed at the 3 in any competitive level of basketball anymore if you can't shoot. Can you name any good teams in college basketball last year that had a 3 that couldn't shoot?

Simon played little to no minutes at Arizona, it's impossible to tell what position based on the 3 minutes per game he played there.

With Lovett still here, Simon will see minutes at the 3 by default which im fine with. But once Lovett is gone then Simon is going to be our starting PG and he will have to be if we want to be good

Your arguments are completely illogical. Dom played great for 2 1/2 years. Part of his soph year and all of his junior year he believed Lavin's  Costco point guard bullsh*t and it killed him. Dom defended all five positions and his versatility and athletic ability is what made him special. Simon is more skilled than Dom, but he can give us similar versatility.

As for a SF on a winning team that couldn't shoot...PJ Dozier of South Carolina. He was second on the team in scoring and their second best player and he shot 29% from three (and 59% from FT line) and 21% the year before. SC still made the Final Four. Any player at any position can overcome any deficiency by being better in other areas. Tony Allen led Oklahoma St. to the final four as a SG that couldn't shoot and he was a first round pick too.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:03:10 PM by Marillac »

goredmen

« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »
I'd have to give 'Nova the slight edge in terms of best BE backcourts for next season. Brunson, Donte and Booth returning. Ponds and LoVett should be right there though.

Simon is the starting PG unless he gets hurt.  Mark my words.   My guess is Lovett is a 6th man in name, plays big minutes though regardless. 

Let's all say it together:  Justin Simon is NOT a point guard.
He is as much of a PG as Dom Pointer.

Simon is a PG that because of his size can play the 2 or the 3. The staff will treat him as such because him and Lovett are the only two guys on the roster that can be trusted playing PG

Ponds isn't trustworthy running the offense?

No. And we shouldn't want him in that role. He's at his best as a 2

This is crazier than your post about Delgado not doing anything better than an average NBA player. Just because Ponds can score doesn't mean he isn't a PG. Conversely, just because Simon can't shoot that doesn't mean we default him to PG. Simon's dribble is high and loose and he only has one hand. He can passs very well, but so could Freudenberg. Ponds is the best passer we've had since at least Omar Cook and he has the best court awareness of anyone I've ever seen wear a St. John's jersey.

Simon has less guard skills than Ellison. Judged as a pure PG, I'd rate Simon's handle a 3-4 out of 10. His passing has developed over his career to compensate for his his lack of shooting ability, but I am curious to see wha a year and a half with Mullin and Richmond did to that awful shot  (everyone seems to be able to shoot well with this staff). I'd imagine Simon would bring the ball up from time to time, take guys off the bounce going downhill off a weave or screen, and may even run the offense for a short stretch with a favorable matchup, but he is clearly not a PG. This is really not up for reasonable debate either.

You're talking about Simon like you've watched him play for 4 years. I'm willing to bet you've seen nothing more than youtube videos of him. Everybody including the staff seems to see him as PG except you. Ponds getting significant PG minutes would be nothing short of stupid. He excels as a 2 at this level, why mess with that?

Also if Delgado does things better than an average NBA player why isn't he in the top 100 of draft prospects for this year?

Delgado rebounds the ball better than just about everyone on this planet.  Whether that alone makes him a high prospect is not the issue.  Your statement was that he didn't do anything better than NBA power forwards.

Simon is a not a PG.  Everyone will realize that game 1.  Maybe he can get himself there by the end of his senior year if he busts his ass, but he's certainly not one now.  He played exclusively SF for Arizona and I went back and watched some of those games after he popped for us.  He's raw for a wing...athletic as hell, but raw.  We don't need a PG next year anyway, we need a SF.

Delgado would not even be an above average rebounder in the NBA. If he was he'd be in the conversation to get drafted this year or next, but he's not.

Simon never played in more than 6 minutes in a game from February on in the season that he played at Arizona. Plus PJC and Kadeem Allen were on their roster that year and he wasn't playing PG over them. So they did what we are going to do and play him at the 3 when we have our PG on the floor because he has the size to do so. If he's a guard with no shooting skills and no point guard skills how was he a top 25 prospect that drew the attention of Arizona? I don't care how big/athletic you are, if you can't shoot or play PG you aren't a top 25 prospect

Dom Pointer was ranked #35 and couldn't shoot or dribble.

So either Simon is going to succeed at PG or he's not going to succeed at all

What a truly bizarre thing to write. What kind of logic is that? Simon is 6'5 210 with a 7 ft wingspan and elite athletic ability. How many PGs fit that physical profile? He could make all league averaging less than 6 pts and 1 assist per game if he maxed his ability on d and the glass.

We have a pair of 6'0 170 lb dynamic guards to handle point. Let him play SF and put some of his skills to use against less skilled SFs.

Dom didn't succeed here until he was forced to play the 4. Simon is not playing the 4. You can't only succeed at the 3 in any competitive level of basketball anymore if you can't shoot. Can you name any good teams in college basketball last year that had a 3 that couldn't shoot?

Simon played little to no minutes at Arizona, it's impossible to tell what position based on the 3 minutes per game he played there.

With Lovett still here, Simon will see minutes at the 3 by default which im fine with. But once Lovett is gone then Simon is going to be our starting PG and he will have to be if we want to be good

Your arguments are completely illogical. Dom played great for 2 1/2 years. Part of his soph year and all of his junior year he believed Lavin's  Costco point guard bullsh*t and it killed him. Dom defended all five positions and his versatility and athletic ability is what made him special. Simon is more skilled than Dom, but he can give us similar versatility.

As for a SF on a winning team that couldn't shoot...PJ Dozier of South Carolina. He was second on the team in scoring and their second best player and he shot 29% from three (and 59% from FT line) and 21% the year before. SC still made the Final Four. Any player at any position can overcome any deficiency by being better in other areas. Tony Allen led Oklahoma St. to the final four as a SG that couldn't shoot and he was a first round pick too.

Defensively isn't the issue. Simon will always be defending 3s and bigger 2s as smaller guards like Lovett/Ponds/Dixon will have to defend opposing PGs.

PJ Dozier wasn't their SF. Thornwell was. Dozier actually played most of his minutes at PG for them and was their best passer. When he wasn't playing PG they would go small and he would play the 4. I can see Simon sort of in that role for us with less shooting volume

paultzman

« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »

« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2017, 01:06:13 PM »

« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2017, 01:36:35 PM »
I wonder who you are going to root for?  ??? ??? ??? ???

« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2017, 03:53:10 PM »
I wonder who you are going to root for?  ??? ??? ??? ???

NY's team.  Bring beer

« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2017, 07:27:46 PM »
Rounding up all my Iona people from the 90s. St Johns fans better bring their A Game. If they have one

« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2017, 10:32:19 PM »
Rounding up all my Iona people from the 90s. St Johns fans better bring their A Game. If they have one
Hope the two of you have a great time.  ;) :)

« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2017, 10:52:02 PM »

Be afraid

« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2017, 11:17:49 PM »
See if Beyrer can snag some court side and I'll sit with you (wearing my SJU shirt, of course, though perhaps my brother pulls out his old Iona fraternity shirt if he still has that in a drawer somewhere).

Marillac

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2017, 05:43:26 AM »

Be afraid

We're St. John's fans...we're always afraid.
The campus might as well be in Winterfell, because we all know winter is coming.

« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2017, 06:24:25 AM »
See if Beyrer can snag some court side and I'll sit with you (wearing my SJU shirt, of course, though perhaps my brother pulls out his old Iona fraternity shirt if he still has that in a drawer somewhere).

Which fraternity?

Poison

« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2017, 11:31:57 AM »

Which fraternity?

They have fraternities at Iona?

« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »

Which fraternity?

They have fraternities at Iona?

Yup. Even made the tournament a few times in the last 20 years

« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »
When do single game tickets usually go on sale? Baldi bringing a crew for the massacre at MSG

« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2017, 11:49:44 AM »
When do single game tickets usually go on sale? Baldi bringing a crew for the massacre at MSG

LOL
For Iona vs Manhattan game after Duke ST John's game a couple years ago there were like 17 people at the game. Were they all from your crew?

« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2017, 12:02:19 PM »

LOL
For Iona vs Manhattan game after Duke ST John's game a couple years ago there were like 17 people at the game. Were they all from your crew?

Place was empty after the 20,000 Duke fans left and also the 37 St Johns fans

« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2017, 12:09:22 PM »

LOL

Place was empty after the 20,000 Duke fans left and also the 37 St Johns fans

Even using core math 37 greater than 17. I played a CYO game at Brendan Byrne once before a Net game and we had more fans than that game.

goredmen

« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »

Give Iona a little credit. Despite the fact they haven't stayed within single digits of any power conference team since 2014, it's not a lock that SJU will massacre them

« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »

Give Iona a little credit. Despite the fact they haven't stayed within single digits of any power conference team since 2014, it's not a lock that SJU will massacre them

Good thing the Big East isn't a Power conference, otherwise I would've took that into consideration