Mussini headed back to Italy?

• 132 replies

Marillac

Re: Mussini headed back to Italy?
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »
Overall, I give the slight edge to Mussini and believe he is the best pure shooter in the Big East.

As a freshman Marcus Howard shot 55 percent from three on 20 more attempts than Missini took as a sophomore.

He had a great year, but I don't think we'll see anywhere near those #s from him again. He is going to be a focus for defenses next year. I wouldn't argue anyone placing him over Mussini...I got him #2.

What do you think Mussini would shoot if he was the focus of the defense?

Howard has more tools and was surrounded by shooters. Mussini is constantly pointed at and labeled "shooter" wherever he goes.  Easy to do when you only play 18 mpg. I'm just talking pure shooting. If I was coaching against St. John's last year, I'd make sure my guys knew Mussini would put up a three within two minutes of entering the game and to make him beat
you off the dribble. Howard isn't as easy to defend with Rowsey, Reinhardt, Cheatham, Johnson, et al. and he plays more minutes so his shots aren't as obvious.

cjfish

« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2017, 07:37:47 PM »
Overall, I give the slight edge to Mussini and believe he is the best pure shooter in the Big East.

As a freshman Marcus Howard shot 55 percent from three on 20 more attempts than Missini took as a sophomore.

He had a great year, but I don't think we'll see anywhere near those #s from him again. He is going to be a focus for defenses next year. I wouldn't argue anyone placing him over Mussini...I got him #2.

We saw that his freshman year and it wasn't pretty often.  He is a roleplayer who is best when he isn't the focal point/quote]

Marillac

« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2017, 07:52:32 PM »

We saw that his freshman year and it wasn't pretty often.  He is a roleplayer who is best when he isn't the focal point/quote]

What we saw his freshman year was a kid playing out of position with nothing around him. Probably a very different story if you gave him Lovett/Ponds/Bash or Rowsey/Reinhardt/Johnson. We were REALLY bad two years ago.

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »
and good argument that ponds is the better outside shooter.

Ponds - 38%
Fellini  - 43%

Not that good an argument.

According to ESPN Ponds shot 37.5 percent from three as a freshman playing 34 minutes a game. Missini shot 42.7 percent from three as a sophomore in almost half as many minutes a game, 19, and on 70 fewer attempts. Nearly all of Mussini's threes came on plays where he stood in the corner with his feet squared waiting for someone to throw him the ball. Nearly none of Ponds threes came under those circumstances and in fact the opposite: most came as a result of his creating his own shot, often late in the shot clock. In light of which your belief that a difference of five made threes out of a hundred is proof of anything means we can add shooting and statistics to the long list of things you know little about.

Seriously, you should stick to making up cryptic nick names for the players. It's not clever or interesting, but it could be your shtick. Think of yourself as Gallagher and the players as watermelons you smash with your leaden sledgehammer wit, spraying the crowd with stinky goo pink.   

Why are you trying to hurt my delicate feelings? 

5.2% is 5.2%.  I didn't claim anything about who creates his own shot, who sets up whom and when they get their shots off in the shot clock.

It's fundamental statistical analysis 101 to hypothesize that the guy who does something at a better clip is better at doing said something.  It's not reinventing the wheel.

It's simple really.  Just like stating the obvious that your muse the Rectangle was a better three point shooter as an upper classman than all-time Johnny 3-pt great 3'lo.  Basing this factual statement on shooting percentages of course.

P.S.

I can hardly wait to start referring to the new kid as "Vicious".

Thats gold, Doc! Gold!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:12:14 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Foad

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2017, 11:06:20 AM »
It's fundamental statistical analysis 101 to hypothesize that the guy who does something at a better clip is better at doing said something.  It's not reinventing the wheel.

It's simple really.

John Paciorek had a lifetime major league batting average of 1.000. Ted Williams had a lifetime batting average of .344. Therefore John Paciorek was better at hitting baseballs than Ted Williams. It's simple really, if you're a simpleton.

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2017, 11:57:08 AM »
Only a simpleton would not consider the sample size.

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »

It's simple really.

John Paciorek had a lifetime major league batting average of 1.000. Ted Williams had a lifetime batting average of .344. Therefore John Paciorek was better at hitting baseballs than Ted Williams. It's simple really, if you're a simpleton.

Is JP in the HOF? If not he should be. My favorite fiction novel was one I read as a young kid titled The Kid Who Batted 1.000.  In this story the kid walked every time up all season long until the last at bat of the season when he hit a home run. Come to think of it he belongs in the HOF also.

Poison

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2017, 03:44:32 PM »
Mussini vs Hooper. Compare apples to apples.

Comparing him to Shamorie Ponds, one of the best freshman this program has ever had is insane. There is nothing Mussini does better than Ponds, except complain.

Want to compare Ponds to another Johnny past or present? Good luck. I can't think of any freshman combo guard that was as good as him. Maybe Erick Barkley, and Ponds is more well rounded.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 03:46:35 PM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2017, 04:03:01 PM »
There is nothing Mussini does better than Ponds, except complain.

Probably he makes better gravy.

« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2017, 06:02:15 PM »
Dixon 45&37 + 86 from the free throw line.  If Mussini goes, which I hope he doesn't we do have a replacement down the line.

« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
Dixon 45&37 + 86 from the free throw line.  If Mussini goes, which I hope he doesn't we do have a replacement down the line.
Imagine he is already envisioned as the replacement for LoVett.

Poison

« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »

That's in the MAAC. Mussini would have better numbers in a shit league. Dixon is a wild card. He could be Mo Watson. He could be Alpha Bangura.

Tha Kid

« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2017, 08:52:06 PM »

That's in the MAAC. Mussini would have better numbers in a shit league. Dixon is a wild card. He could be Mo Watson. He could be Alpha Bangura.

Mussini likely would have gotten focus as a primary scorer in the MAAC so hard to say if percentages would be better or worse or similar. Scoring averages would be up for sure, but percentages, I don't know.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:52:47 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2017, 09:41:51 PM »

Mussini likely would have gotten focus as a primary scorer in the MAAC so hard to say if percentages would be better or worse or similar. Scoring averages would be up for sure, but percentages, I don't know.

I could see Mussini putting up 12 a game in the MAAC. I can also see other guards dropping 30+ on him. At this point, the staff is going to pretty silly if their entire class just quits. Then again, if they make the tournament no one will bat an eye.

Marillac

« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2017, 10:02:40 PM »

Comparing him to Shamorie Ponds, one of the best freshman this program has ever had is insane. There is nothing Mussini does better than Ponds, except complain.

Want to compare Ponds to another Johnny past or present? Good luck. I can't think of any freshman combo guard that was as good as him. Maybe Erick Barkley, and Ponds is more well rounded.

I'm the biggest Ponds fan here and your post is silly. Nobody thinks Mussini is half the player Ponds is, but they are very close as pure shooters whatever order you put them. I think they are both top five in the conference.

Poison

« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2017, 10:11:52 PM »

I'm the biggest Ponds fan here and your post is silly. Nobody thinks Mussini is half the player Ponds is, but they are very close as pure shooters whatever order you put them. I think they are both top five in the conference.

If you've watched most of our games, and I imagine you have, you should know that Mussini hits his threes when we are up by 20, or down by 20. He has no position at this level other than as a spot up shooter who must rely on his teammates doing the work to get him open.  Mussini is like Hooper. He's a "pure shooter" in an empty gym.  What good is great form if you can't move your feet?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:17:20 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2017, 11:11:20 PM »

If you've watched most of our games, and I imagine you have, you should know that Mussini hits his threes when we are up by 20, or down by 20. He has no position at this level other than as a spot up shooter who must rely on his teammates doing the work to get him open.  Mussini is like Hooper. He's a "pure shooter" in an empty gym.  What good is great form if you can't move your feet?

How many times were we up 20? You reduce things way too far. It's not that simple.

« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2017, 11:48:49 PM »

It's simple really.

Ponds had 75 made three's.
Fellini had 56 made three's.

Ted Williams had I would assume several thousand at bats.
John Paciorek had I would assume a handful or less at bats.

Other than that you make a good point.  Not!

This is too easy.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:50:12 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2017, 12:06:23 AM »

Not so.  There are two things, that I know of at least,  that he does better than Ponds.  Shoot three pointers, and free throws while we're at it.

As far as I know,  nobody here is dumb enough to suggest that Fellini is better than Ponds.  Present company included.  However,  it appears that there are things he does better than the entire team, Ponds included.

The 42.7% he put up last season is rarified air for a Johnny gunner probably not matched since Wasju's boy friend Larry "Michigan" Wright went for 43.1% as a freshmen.  Albeit from a  significantly smaller sample size.

My personal fav's from last years model were Mussini and Marcus. With Tariq coming in a deserving third for hustle alone.

Poison

« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2017, 12:44:20 AM »

How many times were we up 20? You reduce things way too far. It's not that simple.

Show me close games where he wasn't a liability. How many were there? Maybe 2. Probably less.