Mussini Gone

• 114 replies

Marillac

Re: Mussini Gone
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2017, 04:24:55 PM »

Can't believe we can't find any grad transfer who can give some emergency minutes at 4/5.

This is my problem. We left the season with RF, Williams, Alibegovic, Owens, Clark and Yakwe for next year,  and to a poster we all agreed we needed at least one grad transfer big. Not only didn't we get one, we didn't get a high school big either and we lost two guys. WTF?

SH and Xavier were already much bigger and wider than us and they added big men. We had Zanna right in our backyard...a kid that did damage to our frontline and we don't even offer? We let Williams walk? For what? He had great size and he was with it of for no other reason than neutralizing Tyler "I will destroy St. John's" Wideman. Wideman ate our "bigs" alive.

goredmen

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2017, 04:25:03 PM »

Lavin didn't inherit a tournament team.

[...]

Lavin's problem, besides not being able to coach a lick,

So he inherited a group of players who did not comprise a tournament team, added one player who averaged four points a game, and despite his "not being able to coach a lick," he made the tournament. That's quite a feat.

Maybe it was Dunlap but the single greatest thing Lavin has ever done regarding basketball was realizing that Norm's 6th and 7th men from the previous season were his two best basketball players. That right there put us in the tourney. Again whether that was a Dunlap thing or simple blind squirrel situation Lavin gets credit for it. If Norm was coaching that team we don't make the tourney!

Lavin's first year with Norm's kids was one of the best squads to root for. I was there in Denver to watch them. 

And if Kennedy doesn't get hurt we probably have a better seed and maybe win a game or two.

We got the worst possible draw against Gonzaga whose fans filled up the Pepsi Center. We would have been a 4 seed with DJ (I think we fell to a 6)   

Yep, and then Seton Hall got that same exact draw as a 6 in Denver against Gonzaga in the 16 tourney

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »

[...]

So he inherited a group of players who did not comprise a tournament team, added one player who averaged four points a game, and despite his "not being able to coach a lick," he made the tournament. That's quite a feat.

Maybe it was Dunlap but the single greatest thing Lavin has ever done regarding basketball was realizing that Norm's 6th and 7th men from the previous season were his two best basketball players. That right there put us in the tourney. Again whether that was a Dunlap thing or simple blind squirrel situation Lavin gets credit for it. If Norm was coaching that team we don't make the tourney!

Lavin's first year with Norm's kids was one of the best squads to root for. I was there in Denver to watch them. 

And if Kennedy doesn't get hurt we probably have a better seed and maybe win a game or two.

We got the worst possible draw against Gonzaga whose fans filled up the Pepsi Center. We would have been a 4 seed with DJ (I think we fell to a 6)   

Yep, and then Seton Hall got that same exact draw as a 6 in Denver against Gonzaga in the 16 tourney

[...]

No use complaining about losing to an 11 seed mid major

sju89tr

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2017, 04:36:46 PM »

[...]

Home game for them 

jr49

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2017, 04:39:31 PM »
This is why Ellison should have stuck it out. smh
This year he plays based on performance. He might not have gone for that.

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2017, 04:40:09 PM »

[...]

Home game for them 

Gonzaga is in Denver?

sju89tr

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2017, 04:46:04 PM »

[...]

Home game for them 

Gonzaga is in Denver?

Spokane, Washington but definitely within driving distance to Denver

I believe 40% of the arena weres Zags fans     

We had less than 100 but good to see Chucky Sproling come rolling in   
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:46:46 PM by sju89tr »

goredmen

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2017, 04:47:09 PM »

Gonzaga is no mid major

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2017, 04:49:02 PM »

[...]

[...]

Only in your reality is Iona a big team and Gonzaga a mid-major.

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2017, 04:52:48 PM »
So say this game was played in Washington DC, how many SJU fans travel? I would still bet more Gonzaga fans

« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2017, 04:53:23 PM »

[...]

[...]

So Gonzaga is a high major?

sju89tr

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2017, 04:55:40 PM »

[...]

[...]

I think so

Marillac

« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2017, 04:56:19 PM »

[...]

[...]

Obviously. The proper question is whether or not they are a blue blood.

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2017, 05:10:10 PM »

[...]

[...]

St. John's or Gonzaga?

Marillac

« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »

[...]

[...]

St. John's or Gonzaga?

We suck.

Foad

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2017, 05:13:08 PM »

[...]

I understand you hate Lavin and I agree he proved himself to be a nitwit, but that tournament team was all about Dunlap. Without him, we probably win 8-9 conference games.

And I understand that you hate Norm and I agree he was a lousy coach but he left Lavin a roster with 10 seniors, most of whom went on to play professional basketball, plus your boy Malik Stith.

Foad

« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2017, 05:14:16 PM »
If Norm was coaching that team we don't make the tourney!

Not convinced. Add some more exclamation points.

Marillac

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2017, 05:39:25 PM »

[...]

I understand you hate Lavin and I agree he proved himself to be a nitwit, but that tournament team was all about Dunlap. Without him, we probably win 8-9 conference games.

And I understand that you hate Norm and I agree he was a lousy coach but he left Lavin a roster with 10 seniors, most of whom went on to play professional basketball, plus your boy Malik Stith.

It was also the most unbalanced roster modern college basketball has ever seen. It required Lavin to take risks just like Mullin and staff had to do with what Lavin left them. That doesn't excuse either staff from finishing off the roster competently. We will lose at least two games this year due to lack of size at center and PF even if everything goes right.

If I am to give Norm credit for anything, the man did fill in his roster competently after inheriting Showtime, Hamilton, and some misfits. He just couldn't get the top recruits. That is the hard part. It's June and we have nine scholarship players for next year -- one being Amar.

sju89tr

« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »

[...]

It was also the most unbalanced roster modern college basketball has ever seen. It required Lavin to take risks just like Mullin and staff had to do with what Lavin left them. That doesn't excuse either staff from finishing off the roster competently. We will lose at least two games this year due to lack of size at center and PF even if everything goes right.

If I am to give Norm credit for anything, the man did fill in his roster competently after inheriting Showtime, Hamilton, and some misfits. He just couldn't get the top recruits. That is the hard part. It's June and we have nine scholarship players for next year -- one being Amar.

Do you really need more than 9 players

Look at the elite 8 team, we had around 7 serviceable guys

goredmen

« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2017, 06:30:14 PM »

[...]

Do you really need more than 9 players

Look at the elite 8 team, we had around 7 serviceable guys

Agreed. Generally teams don't play more than 8 or 9 guys anyway. In this era of college basketball where every kid wants to play 30 mpg it's tough to get 10 or 11 solid kids on a roster at a time