Johnnies' Games on ESPN Classic

• 10 replies
Johnnies' Games on ESPN Classic
« on: June 06, 2017, 01:20:27 PM »
1999 Big East Tournament Semifinal game versus Miami and January '98 game versus UConn on ESPN Classic today (both wins for us).  The former will be shown at 3pm and the latter will be shown at 7pm.

I have the Miami game recorded on a VHS tape somewhere and I believe I may have even recorded the UConn game.  The thing I remember about the UConn game is El-Amin getting injured and we took advantage of it.  I believe the Huskies made a game of it as El-Amin came back in with a bad wheel.

I do remember UConn beating the brakes off us in a 'winner takes all' scenario, where the winner was Big East conference champions, during the last conference game of the season.  The game was basically over before it got started.

Set your DVR's.

Re: Johnnies' Games on ESPN Classic
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »
Thanks MJ. Will Watch both for sure
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »
Thanks MJ. Will Watch both for sure
Me too. Got to root on the Johnnies so we win both games again.  :idiot2: ::)

Poison

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 09:24:09 AM »
Those STJ vs Miami battles were great rivalry games. At least it felt that way to us. Too bad the BE has become a basketball only conference.

I still watch the Phil Greene game at the Dome from 3 years ago. It never gets old.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 05:27:34 PM »
Those STJ vs Miami battles were great rivalry games. At least it felt that way to us. Too bad the BE has become a basketball only conference.

I still watch the Phil Greene game at the Dome from 3 years ago. It never gets old.

you know that was while cuse was out of BE ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 01:27:14 PM »
ESPN Classic will be showing 5 consecutive Johnnies' games from the '83-'84 season starting Friday morning at 5am.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 01:36:35 PM »
ESPN Classic will be showing 5 consecutive Johnnies' games from the '83-'84 season starting Friday morning at 5am.
Was watching the 1989 away game vs Georgetown. Talk about lack of depth (at the guard position) we started FR Jason Buchanon and Matt Brust. They were playing a lot of minutes and was looking forward to a substitution and who was the third G? Terrence Mullin vs the #2 team in the nation.

derk

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 01:36:41 PM »

Yes, remember those 40 - 38 scores.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »
Was watching the 1989 away game vs Georgetown. Talk about lack of depth (at the guard position) we started FR Jason Buchanon and Matt Brust. They were playing a lot of minutes and was looking forward to a substitution and who was the third G? Terrence Mullin vs the #2 team in the nation.

I watched a bit of that one from early this morning.  I was thinking the same thing, in regards to our lack of depth.  I didn't particularly realized that at 15 and 16 years old.  I actually remember watching that one live, and being heckled by one of my siblings (he was a huge Hoya fan at that time) and a couple of friends.

That was the year Marco Baldi left a year early and returned to Italy to play professionally, and Boo Harvey and Michael Porter (who never returned) was ineligible to play.  Chucky Sproling was a Prop 48 (ineligible).   

Revisionist history, but Gary Payton would've been a junior on that particular team and probably was the talent and leader needed for that particular youthful group.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 01:53:51 PM »

If Poison is referring to our games versus Miami in the late 90's through early 2000's (during the time where there were some good games against the 'Canes), then those weren't the type of scores. 

I recall one particular game where the score was extremely low, and that was during the '91-'92 season, in a game we lost.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:55:03 PM by mjdinkins »

Poison

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 02:20:37 PM »

If Poison is referring to our games versus Miami in the late 90's through early 2000's (during the time where there were some good games against the 'Canes), then those weren't the type of scores. 

I recall one particular game where the score was extremely low, and that was during the '91-'92 season, in a game we lost.

Yes. Sealy's senior season. It was awful. Not as awful and Tulane, but awful. We couldn't throw it in the ocean. It would be nice if they did more to acknowledge his legacy than a bobblehead. He was incredible that season.