Rothstein Piece on Simon/Clark Impact

• 49 replies

paultzman

Rothstein Piece on Simon/Clark Impact
« on: June 06, 2017, 05:07:36 PM »
A pair of transfers are hoping to spark a St. John's revival. STORY @FanRagSports: (link: http://bit.ly/2s1CcCk) bit.ly/2s1CcCk #SJUBB
Rothstein | A pair of transfers are hoping to spark a St John’s revival

tnice

Re: Rothstein Piece on Simon/Clark Impact
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 05:47:01 PM »
How does this team find a middle ground? Clark thinks he has the answer.

“I would just watch the last season when I was sitting out and there wasn’t enough of a focus on defense, rebounding, and running,” added Clark. “I feel like that’s what Justin and I are going to add. It felt like we would either have a great win or an awful loss and a big reason for that was slow starts in games. That all comes down to having the right mindset on the defensive end of the floor.”

And that’s where Simon should play a major role.

Svelte at 6-foot-5 with the physical attributes of Jevon Kearse in his prime, the former top-25 recruit spent his redshirt year working on his jump shot and regaining his edge, something that was lost during the 2015-16 season at Arizona when he was behind guys like Parker Jackson-Cartwright, Kadeem Allen, Gabe York and Allonzo Trier in the Wildcats’ rotation.

“My confidence level is completely different now,” Simon said. “Marvin and I are committed to defense and we’re committed to rebounding. There’s no denying that those are our priorities and that’s what we’re going to add.”

YES. Yes, yes, yes, yes.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 06:03:31 PM »
Simon built like Jevon Kearse in his prime? Yea ok
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:04:02 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 06:11:40 PM »
Maybe he meant freak athlete in a basketball world.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 06:34:07 PM »
I'm surprised to hear that Simon thinks he's here for defense. That's a rather team oriented point to make. It would be great if he was a Sharif Fordham type with more offensive ability. We don't have a guard who stops the ball. That's probably this guy, but the entire team needs to buy into playing defense.

Johnny23

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 06:39:06 PM »

I was just thinking the same thing when reading that. Simon does look to be in great shape but Kearse was all world freakish physique. He could also mean how long Simon is too.

derk

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »
Really counting on these two to change the disposition of this team.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »

I was just thinking the same thing when reading that. Simon does look to be in great shape but Kearse was all world freakish physique. He could also mean how long Simon is too.

The only value here is in the quotes. Rothstein makes everybody out to be an all star.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:55:14 PM by Poison »

Johnny23

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 07:15:34 PM »

The only value here is in the quotes. Rothstein makes everybody out to be an all star.

No doubt.

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »
I'm surprised to hear that Simon thinks he's here for defense. That's a rather team oriented point to make. It would be great if he was a Sharif Fordham type with more offensive ability. We don't have a guard who stops the ball. That's probably this guy, but the entire team needs to buy into playing defense.

Gotta get Lovett and Ponds on board too.  Those guys were awful at most times with regular man defense, particularly Ponds.  Hard to criticize because hey do so much else, but they need to be able to stay in front of their man and force the pass more.

QuanMan

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 07:37:41 PM »
The season is still 4.5 months out and it's killing me. Roth tours the country all summer long, looks like we were his first stop. Probably the last national article that we will have written about us until the leaves change. Time to finish up completing our first competitive Big East level roster and hit the gym for the Summer months. The Spring was fun but the dog days are coming.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 07:47:27 PM »
Awesome quotes. Love these dudes already.

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »

Maybe next he will make Truck Bryant comparisons

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 08:49:19 PM »

Gotta get Lovett and Ponds on board too.  Those guys were awful at most times with regular man defense, particularly Ponds.  Hard to criticize because hey do so much else, but they need to be able to stay in front of their man and force the pass more.

Agreed. I feel like Clark and Simon are going to be the guys calling out screens and guiding rotations on the defensive end. I just hope they hold other players accountable for any missed assignments. Last year guys were just losing their men without anybody in their ear. 

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 05:36:04 PM »
How does this team find a middle ground? Clark thinks he has the answer.

“I would just watch the last season when I was sitting out and there wasn’t enough of a focus on defense, rebounding, and running,” added Clark. “I feel like that’s what Justin and I are going to add. It felt like we would either have a great win or an awful loss and a big reason for that was slow starts in games. That all comes down to having the right mindset on the defensive end of the floor.”

And that’s where Simon should play a major role.

Svelte at 6-foot-5 with the physical attributes of Jevon Kearse in his prime, the former top-25 recruit spent his redshirt year working on his jump shot and regaining his edge, something that was lost during the 2015-16 season at Arizona when he was behind guys like Parker Jackson-Cartwright, Kadeem Allen, Gabe York and Allonzo Trier in the Wildcats’ rotation.

“My confidence level is completely different now,” Simon said. “Marvin and I are committed to defense and we’re committed to rebounding. There’s no denying that those are our priorities and that’s what we’re going to add.”

YES. Yes, yes, yes, yes.

I think a tear drop rolled down my cheek reading this. Whoever is advising Simon must know the key to his professional figure lies on the defensive side of the ball and on the glass with his wingspan.

Foad

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 06:05:27 PM »
I think a tear drop rolled down my cheek reading this.

Hopefully you're still using the men's room, we'd hate to lose you.

derk

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 10:57:31 AM »
I think a tear drop rolled down my cheek reading this.

Hopefully you're still using the men's room, we'd hate to lose you.
[/quote

Good one. I think all of us feel these 2 guys are the key to a successful season not only because of their physicality but the mental toughness they bring to the table.

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 03:16:29 PM »
I'm hoping Simon can become a similar player as Pointer with a better shot and handle. If that happens, we are in good shape.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »
I'm hoping Simon can become a similar player as Pointer with a better shot and handle. If that happens, we are in good shape.

Simon is Balamou's size. This is the same staff that got excited about the prospect of using Balamou at the 4. Maybe they don't know what the numbers mean?

derk

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »
In the photo Wilson looks at least 2 inches taller then Yakwe. What gives Wilson at 6' 9 or Yakwe at 6'5 ?