Mike Rice - here we go again

• 284 replies

pmg911

Mike Rice - here we go again
« on: July 31, 2017, 06:06:56 PM »
Word must be around that Mike Rice joining staff again.

Literally got 2 calls in the last hour from well informed guys asking me if I have heard this one..

This chatter been around before.. 

I think it would be good move for St. John's

Johnny23

Re: Mike Rice - here we go again
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 06:10:22 PM »
Please be true. This would be a big add.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 10:09:17 PM »
Word must be around that Mike Rice joining staff again.

Literally got 2 calls in the last hour from well informed guys asking me if I have heard this one..

This chatter been around before.. 

I think it would be good move for St. John's

Yeah, it's been circulating for a few months.  I figured if was going to happen, then it would happen after the AAU season.  Now, the AAU season is practically over, we should hear more about this situation (whether it comes to fruition or not).  I'm certainly hoping we do bring him in.

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 12:22:58 AM »
Paultzman actually intimated that if it were to happen it would be after the summer recruiting season if anybody paid attention...  Mike Rice deserves a second chance. Almost all of his players love(d) him and he'd be a nightmare planning-wise for opposing teams with his attention to detail. Great planner and tireless worker.   SJU people that are worried about him, should be more worried about SJU  obsolescence than Mike Rice, who would be a big asset as a coach.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 01:24:55 AM »
Paultzman actually intimated that if it were to happen it would be after the summer recruiting season if anybody paid attention...  Mike Rice deserves a second chance. Almost all of his players love(d) him and he'd be a nightmare planning-wise for opposing teams with his attention to detail. Great planner and tireless worker.   SJU people that are worried about him, should be more worried about SJU  obsolescence than Mike Rice, who would be a big asset as a coach.

I'm sure if he was to come here, there would be eyes on him to make sure no bs happened, and I'd think that he'd know that there are eyes on him.

goredmen

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 01:44:22 AM »

I'm sure if he was to come here, there would be eyes on him to make sure no bs happened, and I'd think that he'd know that there are eyes on him.

Meh, if we hire him it'll get some headlines locally and be buried on some national sites for a day or two and then disappear. That story is yesterday's news and hiring him as an assistant isn't a sexy story. Most casual college basketball fans not in the northeast probably forgot he was "that Mike Rice" by now

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 07:54:24 AM »
Would be a great hire for us.

1. An experienced X and O guy, so that doesn't just fall on St Jean.
2. Pulse for recruiting in New Jersey.

A great hire

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:03:18 AM »

+1

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »
His experience coaching AAU should prove to people he's changed and worthy of a second chance. Would be a big get and immediately help.

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 10:20:11 AM »
His experience coaching AAU should prove to people he's changed and worthy of a second chance. Would be a big get and immediately help.

He also coached the #1 team in state of NJ last year...

ras

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 11:03:42 AM »
Last , but not least, he has exp. coaching college bb.

QuanMan

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 12:20:59 PM »
I want to preface this by saying that I am a fan of the hire. To note however, there will be a onslaught of negative press initially. This is 2017 after all and we operate in a very sensitive climate. The Rutgers tapes will be replayed and conversations surrounding his second chance will be raised, articles will be written. Ultimately once the dust settles, we will have a well connected, experienced tactician on our bench who specializes in player development, which is something that we've been missing since Dunlap left.
Section 3
Section 116

redslope

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »
People deserve a second chance if they show that they have mended their ways.  Mike has been humbled by the experience of falling from a high D-1 coach.  Hopefully he is matured and will enjoy coaching rather than being a person on edge all the time.

derk

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 01:09:10 PM »
Paultz,

Any inkling of an idea that admin has its ear to the ground on this ?

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 01:19:55 PM »
Hope it happens. I think it adds good dynamic to program and staff. Could pay huge dividends in recruiting too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 05:39:18 PM »
Paultz,

I don't think administration would object. I sense the issue will be whether Mullin feels comfortable with this & role Rice would play. I guess this will be put to rest in not too distant future so RIce can stay where he is or consider other options.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:41:56 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 06:15:29 PM »
Paultz,

I don't think administration would object. I sense the issue will be whether Mullin feels comfortable with this & role Rice would play. I guess this will be put to rest in not too distant future so RIce can stay where he is or consider other options.

Do you think Rice can be an Asst. Coach? With his emotions on full display most of the time, wonder if he can play that role. He is an Alpha to the max!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:16:35 PM by shamsman2 »

MCNPA

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 07:05:31 PM »
Paultz,

Do you think Rice can be an Asst. Coach? With his emotions on full display most of the time, wonder if he can play that role. He is an Alpha to the max!
He's been an assistant at lots of places.  He may just have to scream over St. Jean, but I honk it's a good move for us.  He pays attention to detail and I really believe would help tighten up our weaknesses quite a bit in certain spots.  He just needs to understand his role, and also realize that Matt is the lead recruiter.  I don't think he'd step on toes there but he can help with coaching, scouting and recruiting.

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 07:14:26 PM »
Paultz,

Who would be the initiator of Rice's consideration/interest....

Mullin, Goff or Rice himself ?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:15:10 PM by RedStormNC »

paultzman

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 08:35:58 PM »
Paultz,

Who would be the initiator of Rice's consideration/interest....

Mullin, Goff or Rice himself ?

Have heard Rice & Mullin met earlier in the summer to talk generally. Sense if Mullin wants him, Goff would be fine. For Rice, this would be a big opportunity to return to college ball & think he could come relatively cheap.