Mike Rice - here we go again

• 284 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Mike Rice - here we go again
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 01:53:08 AM »
Paultz,

Any inkling of an idea that admin has its ear to the ground on this ?

I don't think administration would object. I sense the issue will be whether Mullin feels comfortable with this & role Rice would play. I guess this will be put to rest in not too distant future so RIce can stay where he is or consider other options.

Who would be the initiator of Rice's consideration/interest....

Mullin, Goff or Rice himself ?

Have heard Rice & Mullin met earlier in the summer to talk generally. Sense if Mullin wants him, Goff would be fine. For Rice, this would be a big opportunity to return to college ball & think he could come relatively cheap.

Who would he replace?

lihoop

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 02:33:49 AM »
Slice

Foad

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »
there will be a onslaught of negative press initially

No there won't. No one cares about a mediocre basketball program hiring an assistant coach no one has ever heard of who did something untoward five years ago. The circumstances of his firing would comprise one sentence in a three paragraph blurb at the back of the sports section and on some slow day in the fall Brazziller will write a puff piece about his fall from grace and redemption. If all goes well Lifetime will make a movie about it.

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »
There is a huge difference between hiring Rice as an assistant coach vs. hiring him as a head coach with full control. 

Johnny23

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 11:20:27 AM »
I disagree with those that are saying he will be a big help in recruiting right away. Perhaps a few years down the line he will be but the real value he adds to this staff is the x's and o's, rebounding and defensive coaching that he will instill in the players. That's what this team needs more than anything at this point.

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 12:38:41 PM »
I disagree with those that are saying he will be a big help in recruiting right away. Perhaps a few years down the line he will be but the real value he adds to this staff is the x's and o's, rebounding and defensive coaching that he will instill in the players. That's what this team needs more than anything at this point.

I do believe Rice would quickly bring value to defense and aiding the staff, per X's and O's.  I also believe he'll help with recruiting right out of the gates.  His relationships (from kids he's coached to coaches he's probably bonded with in the area) in NJ could pay immediate dividends, in regards to recruiting.

sju89tr

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 04:58:03 PM »
He would have to replace Mitch who can slide to a special advisor role and not have to recruit   

Johnny23

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 05:50:46 PM »

I do believe Rice would quickly bring value to defense and aiding the staff, per X's and O's.  I also believe he'll help with recruiting right out of the gates.  His relationships (from kids he's coached to coaches he's probably bonded with in the area) in NJ could pay immediate dividends, in regards to recruiting.

If he also helps in recruiting then it's all gravy.

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 09:19:09 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille 10h
Five-star Scottie Lewis told @ASlater247 if a local program hired Mike Rice it would mean "a lot" for his recruitment. Hmmm.

@CoachRNaclerio Replying to @NYPost_Brazille @ASlater247
Heard he's about to get a college gig. Heard it's at my alma mater!

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 09:49:15 AM »
There would still be value if Rice joined staff, but would likely be big disappointment and/or anger from fans if admin takes chance, he comes on board and Lewis chooses elsewhere.

Only thing I can see longer term is as possible Mullin successor if program gets on track and Mullin passes off as he initially talked about.

MCNPA

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 10:14:09 AM »
There would still be value if Rice joined staff, but would likely be big disappointment and/or anger from fans if admin takes chance, he comes on board and Lewis chooses elsewhere.

Only thing I can see longer term is as possible Mullin successor if program gets on track and Mullin passes off as he initially talked about.

That I think that is entirely untrue.  The hire is to help our team at the coaching end, to add experience.  It will help recruiting and scouting as well.   It has zero to do with Lewis nor taking over for Mullin which will never happen.  This is about getting a solid assistant HC in here to help coordinate efforts to make the tourney consistently.   All other great programs have very knowledgeable AHC's, which can be invaluable.    Landing Lewis would certainly be gravy, but nothing more at this point.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:15:51 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 11:37:28 AM »

That I think that is entirely untrue.  The hire is to help our team at the coaching end, to add experience.  It will help recruiting and scouting as well.   It has zero to do with Lewis nor taking over for Mullin which will never happen.  This is about getting a solid assistant HC in here to help coordinate efforts to make the tourney consistently.   All other great programs have very knowledgeable AHC's, which can be invaluable.    Landing Lewis would certainly be gravy, but nothing more at this point.
+1 Most of our fans save posters never heard of Scottie Lewis or basically any other recruit.

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 11:59:28 AM »
fair points...

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 12:13:37 PM »
The recruiting is a bonus.  By all accounts, this staff has recruited well in their limited tenure.  This is about hiring a knowledgeable coach who was very successful at a mid major and is regarded as a good coach.

paultzman

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »
Helping improve the defense is a potential gain in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:21:58 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 12:32:33 PM »
Helping improve the defense is a potential gain in my opinion.

ba-boom ;)

Moose

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »

+1 Most of our fans save posters never heard of Scottie Lewis or basically any other recruit.

Most of our fans haven't heard of Mike Rice
And most think our coach is Chris Mullin
Remember who broke the Slice news

ras

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »

I agree w you  re; this subject. Will give exp. to coaching staff, help in recruiting. Price will be right, which is important b cause of Slice buyout. Lewis only had praise for Rice. I would be very happy w this hire, even when if we don't get Lewis.

Foad

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2017, 05:55:59 PM »
there will be a onslaught of negative press initially

No there won't. No one cares about a mediocre basketball program hiring an assistant coach no one has ever heard of who did something untoward five years ago. The circumstances of his firing would comprise one sentence in a three paragraph blurb at the back of the sports section and on some slow day in the fall Brazziller will write a puff piece about his fall from grace and redemption. If all goes well Lifetime will make a movie about it.

I had the paper wrong, and the author, and the time frame, but other than that: nailed it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/sports/ncaabasketball/mike-rice-rutgers-basketball-coach.html?partner=IFTTT

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2017, 07:07:55 AM »
Pretty good article from the failing New York Times