Mike Rice - here we go again

• 284 replies

QuanMan

Re: Mike Rice - here we go again
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »
Summer sessions are over, first semester is around the corner, what's the hold up?
Section 3
Section 116

lihoop

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2017, 09:53:19 AM »
any updates on Rice joining the staff?

QuanMan

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »
Is there any chance of a Mike Rice hire this offseason?
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »

No I think that ship has sailed.  Again ultimately it is CM's choice and I'm told he wasn't comfortable and ultimately felt Rice would be a negative since others would use the Rutgers stuff to negative recruit against SJU.

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2018, 01:50:30 PM »

There may not be any changes to the staff.

QuanMan

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2018, 01:56:46 PM »
Fordham, MJD- Thank you both for the clarity.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2018, 01:58:24 PM »

No I think that ship has sailed.  Again ultimately it is CM's choice and I'm told he wasn't comfortable and ultimately felt Rice would be a negative since others would use the Rutgers stuff to negative recruit against SJU.

meanwhile, quite a few of the top kids in the area train with and/or play on his AAU team
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:04:16 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2018, 11:10:04 PM »

meanwhile, quite a few of the top kids in the area train with and/or play on his AAU team

I don't think for the long term prosepcts of the program you hire a guy simply based on a few recruits.  You hire him because you think he can be a serious member of your staff now and in the future.  And I don't believe, rightly or wrongly, Coach Mullin thinks Rice would be.

goredmen

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2018, 12:48:38 AM »

I don't think for the long term prosepcts of the program you hire a guy simply based on a few recruits.  You hire him because you think he can be a serious member of your staff now and in the future.  And I don't believe, rightly or wrongly, Coach Mullin thinks Rice would be.

Kevin Willard milked 3 solid years out of hiring a couple assistants for a few recruits

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2018, 05:33:26 AM »

I'm not sure Mullin knows what a good hire is. Next year will literally determine everything

TONYD3

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »

I'm not sure Mullin knows what a good hire is. Next year will literally determine everything
Don’t understand. But this is a common thought. We change nothing but expect different results?

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »

Kevin Willard milked 3 solid years out of hiring a couple assistants for a few recruits
Andy Einfield is gonna do the same thing at USC. Just hired  a recruits dad as assistant.

pmg911

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »

**Three good seasons...     and multiple contract extensions that pretty much leaves him and his family set for life...    he played the game very well...

**as long as he doesn't get caught up in this FBI stuff...

goredmen

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2018, 06:14:36 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if Mike Rice ends up at Pitt with Capel

paultzman

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2018, 08:39:45 PM »

Smart man I sense

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2018, 08:49:56 PM »
and perhaps Scottie Lewis to follow

if that happens, we should just give up.

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2018, 08:55:48 PM »
and perhaps Scottie Lewis to follow

if that happens, we should just give up.

Not sure if that happens.  Either way Capel will get players he is a good recruiter.  But not sure how many head to head wins he'll get going against his mentor on or off the court.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:56:10 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2018, 03:22:20 PM »
Sounds like his first hire maybe Brandin Knight who is currently at Rutgers.

https://twitter.com/PaulZeise/status/979054264004816899

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2018, 04:12:03 PM »

Smart man I sense

Not likely.  Told those rumors are not solid.

BTW-Don't get carried away with Rice, I'm not saying he couldn't be a good hire, he may be.  But think about it why is he still available?  If it were as simple as hiring him and getting a great coach/recruiter who may even be able to bring big time kids immediately why hasn't ANYONE hired him as an assistant let alone SJU?  Forget about SJU what is preventing anyone high major or even mid major program from hiring him?  Nothing presumably, so why is he still coaching high school kids?

Johnny23

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2018, 04:15:06 PM »

Smart man I sense

Not likely.  Told those rumors are not solid.

BTW-Don't get carried away with Rice, I'm not saying he couldn't be a good hire, he may be.  But think about it why is he still available?  If it were as simple as hiring him and getting a great coach/recruiter who may even be able to bring big time kids immediately why hasn't ANYONE hired him as an assistant let alone SJU?  Forget about SJU what is preventing anyone high major or even mid major program from hiring him?  Nothing presumably, so why is he still coaching high school kids?

Rutgers is why no one will hire him. It's hard for him to shed that and the media probably won't let him if he ever gets another college job. That's the most likely reason.