Elijah Holifield transferring to Prairie View

• 90 replies

goredmen

Re: Elijah Holifield transferring to Prairie View
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »
Plenty of walk ons become valuable role players at top programs.

Define plenty.

My name is not Google. Wanna look it up? Have at it.

So if you make an absurd statement that "plenty" - a word meaning among other things "a large quantity" - of walkons have made an impact at "top programs" I have to use google to discover whether your absurd statement is not false, otherwise it's true. That's quite stupid, even for someone who routinely leaves a trail of stupid rogue waves in his wake.

For non stupids, the burden of proof for an assertion is on the person making the assertion. The burden is not on the person who disbelieves the assertion to prove the absurd statement is false. Prove your statement true, else it is false.

I can think of one walk on who's made a significant impact at St John's: Andre Stanley. SJU is allegedly a top program. Anecdotal evidence suggests you're talking out your ass. Therefore you are.

Duke, Louisville, Creighton and Providence have all recently had walk ons that eventually became contributors. It's a way for a coach to one, prove that he can developtalent, and it's a way to reward hard work, should there be any. Happy now?

I'd be interested to hear who those 4 players are

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 09:01:58 PM »
this has to be a joke if anyone thought he would contribute this year.....nothing against him but

Johnny23

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 09:48:49 PM »
Non-story from a basketball standpoint.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 11:12:07 PM »

Define plenty.

So if you make an absurd statement that "plenty" - a word meaning among other things "a large quantity" - of walkons have made an impact at "top programs" I have to use google to discover whether your absurd statement is not false, otherwise it's true. That's quite stupid, even for someone who routinely leaves a trail of stupid rogue waves in his wake.

For non stupids, the burden of proof for an assertion is on the person making the assertion. The burden is not on the person who disbelieves the assertion to prove the absurd statement is false. Prove your statement true, else it is false.

I can think of one walk on who's made a significant impact at St John's: Andre Stanley. SJU is allegedly a top program. Anecdotal evidence suggests you're talking out your ass. Therefore you are.

Duke, Louisville, Creighton and Providence have all recently had walk ons that eventually became contributors. It's a way for a coach to one, prove that he can developtalent, and it's a way to reward hard work, should there be any. Happy now?

Tyler Clement from Creighton. Maye from NC. Barlow from Butler. There are others. Tim Henderson is the guy I'm thinking of from Louisville. Cameron Mills from Kentucky.

The point isn't that the team is screwed w out Holifield's 10 points this season. This team in year 3 has two players with 2 years of Big East experience. Who is the leader? Is there even one guy? Who sets the example in practice? Alivegovic? Come on guys, watch how I throw it directly to the other team's point guard. That's your senior.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:37:43 PM by Poison »

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 01:27:19 AM »

Define plenty.

Tyler Clement from Creighton. Maye from NC. Barlow from Butler. There are others. Tim Henderson is the guy I'm thinking of from Louisville. Cameron Mills from Kentucky.

The point isn't that the team is screwed w out Holifield's 10 points this season. This team in year 3 has two players with 2 years of Big East experience. Who is the leader? Is there even one guy? Who sets the example in practice? Alivegovic? Come on guys, watch how I throw it directly to the other team's point guard. That's your senior.

I'll give you Alex Barlow, but you're desperately reaching with Tyler Clement, Tim Henderson, and even Cameron Mills.  Clement and Henderson didn't much of anything, other than a game here or there, during their collegiate days.  Cameron Mills played two decades ago.

Luke Maye isn't your ordinary walk-on.  He's a unique case.  He was a top 150 player coming out of high school.  He really wanted to play for UNC, as he probably had the grades (an assumption) to get into UNC, so he decided to walk-on.  You're not gonna see many cases where a top 150 ball player decides to walk-on to a school.

I liked Holifield, but think you're overall reaching here with this one.  If Holifield gave us something as a senior, then fine.  But, if we were actually counting on him to give us something, then shame on us and our coaching staff.

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 03:40:37 AM »
To be fair about walk-on's, if it wasn't for a walk-on ( Luke Maye) ,UNC doesn't win the national championship.

Edit: I didn't read the previous post about Maye. My bad,
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:47:57 AM by Foryoureyesonly88 »

Foad

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 08:44:22 AM »

Wow that's an impressive list of plenty of players who've made an impact at top programs. I mean Tyler Clement's scored nearly 100 points in his three year career. That's amazing.

I find it hard to believe that a sissy like Holifield who couldn't stand the bright lights and pressure of New York City and had to transfer to a school in some podunk midwest backwater had the stones to be team leader. Personally I'm hoping Justin Cole can step up and fill those shoes.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »

Define plenty.

I'll give you Alex Barlow, but you're desperately reaching with Tyler Clement, Tim Henderson, and even Cameron Mills.  Clement and Henderson didn't much of anything, other than a game here or there, during their collegiate days.  Cameron Mills played two decades ago.

Luke Maye isn't your ordinary walk-on.  He's a unique case.  He was a top 150 player coming out of high school.  He really wanted to play for UNC, as he probably had the grades (an assumption) to get into UNC, so he decided to walk-on.  You're not gonna see many cases where a top 150 ball player decides to walk-on to a school.

I liked Holifield, but think you're overall reaching here with this one.  If Holifield gave us something as a senior, then fine.  But, if we were actually counting on him to give us something, then shame on us and our coaching staff.

Again, the point is not what they contributed in terms of numbers. Where is the leadership? Who sets the example? Bashir Ahmed and Amar Alibegovic have no clue how to play defense. If Holifield were to get significant burn this season it would be because we suffered a significant injury to a guard, or because he somehow improved to the point where he deserved the minutes. Either way, we've lost yet another would be upper classmen, and THAT is the only real loss here.

Foad

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 08:57:36 AM »
To be fair about walk-on's, if it wasn't for a walk-on ( Luke Maye) ,UNC doesn't win the national championship.

Michael Jordan didn't make his varsity team as a sophomore in high school, maybe we should recruit more JV type players.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »
It's year 3, and this is a team loaded with underclassmen and our upperclassmen are new, terrible or Bashir Ahmed. A lot rides on that dude. A single transfer, any single transfer, except for maybe Scoonie Penn, isn't going to destroy any BE's team's season, but we spent the last several years complaining that Lavin couldn't develop talent. And he couldn't.

Can Mullin? Remains to be seen.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »

Wow that's an impressive list of plenty of players who've made an impact at top programs. I mean Tyler Clement's scored nearly 100 points in his three year career. That's amazing.

I find it hard to believe that a sissy like Holifield who couldn't stand the bright lights and pressure of New York City and had to transfer to a school in some podunk midwest backwater had the stones to be team leader. Personally I'm hoping Justin Cole can step up and fill those shoes.

He transferred to where he'd get burn. Can't blame him for that.

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 11:11:16 AM »
Were we really looking to Holifeld to be a team leader this season? What nonsense.  A team that needs a walk-on to lead it is in serious trouble.

Based on his behavior on the bench last year, it looks as though Marvin Clark will be the team's emotional leader, and I expect him to kick some ass right on the court the first time he's open on a break and one of our guards doesn't give up the ball when the situation calls for a pass.

Poison

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »
Were we really looking to Holifeld to be a team leader this season? What nonsense.  A team that needs a walk-on to lead it is in serious trouble.

Based on his behavior on the bench last year, it looks as though Marvin Clark will be the team's emotional leader, and I expect him to kick some ass right on the court the first time he's open on a break and one of our guards doesn't give up the ball when the situation calls for a pass.

There are different kinds of leaders, but yes, a walk-on can be a leader on the team if they respect his/her work ethic. Jarvis certainly had his faults, but you gotta admit that the team was inspired by Stanley's hustle. If he had Ingram's talent, he'd have been an all BE player. He couldn't shoot the ball to save his life, but he was a tough local kid that worked hard.

QuanMan

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 12:22:31 PM »
It's year 3, and this is a team loaded with underclassmen and our upperclassmen are new, terrible or Bashir Ahmed. A lot rides on that dude. A single transfer, any single transfer, except for maybe Scoonie Penn, isn't going to destroy any BE's team's season, but we spent the last several years complaining that Lavin couldn't develop talent. And he couldn't.

I second that regarding Bash Poison, I forsee a breakout year from him with added responsibility. Simon/Sid/BTrim are going to help him out a ton on the perimeter, he should see fewer defensive hedges with the added shooting and athleticism. I expect him to be a senior in every sense of the word.

Addressing this Elijah nonsense, he left to grab more minutes and how about a free ride? He loves the program and wishes the minutes were available, but unfortunately we're stacked.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »

I second that regarding Bash Poison, I forsee a breakout year from him with added responsibility. Simon/Sid/BTrim are going to help him out a ton on the perimeter, he should see fewer defensive hedges with the added shooting and athleticism. I expect him to be a senior in every sense of the word.

Addressing this Elijah nonsense, he left to grab more minutes and how about a free ride? He loves the program and wishes the minutes were available, but unfortunately we're stacked.

We are stacked, kinda. But what happens when a couple of guards sprain an ankle and we're hosting Duke at MSG? We have ten players. That is a dangerously low number of eligible players.

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2017, 12:56:20 PM »

We are stacked, kinda. But what happens when a couple of guards sprain an ankle and we're hosting Duke at MSG? We have ten players. That is a dangerously low number of eligible players.

There could be a localized earthquake on 34th St. and MSG could collapse,  That's about as likely a scenario as the one you're positing.

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 12:58:30 PM »

There are different kinds of leaders, but yes, a walk-on can be a leader on the team if they respect his/her work ethic. Jarvis certainly had his faults, but you gotta admit that the team was inspired by Stanley's hustle.

I'm not admitting anything, as that team was inspired by the hustle and overall play of Marcus Hatten.  I liked Andre Stanley, and he was a good story, but the only reason he was even playing was due to Jarvis recruiting had plummeted.  If Jarvis had anyone better, then Stanley probably would've saw very, limited time or been nailed to the bench. 

If he had Ingram's talent, he'd have been an all BE player. He couldn't shoot the ball to save his life, but he was a tough local kid that worked hard.

If I had the size of Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith, then I'd have played many years in the NFL.  C'mon, dude!  Stanley was a good story on a team with limited talent that would play tough of most occasions.  Those teams were only worth watching because of Hatten and, at times, Ingram.  Period. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:59:40 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 01:26:24 PM »
While Holifield may have twice beaten Mike Tyson to say he would have been a contributor with our roster and at our level would be a stretch. That being said I certainly would prefer he still be on the team but good luck to the young man in his future endeavors.

MCNPA

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »

There are different kinds of leaders, but yes, a walk-on can be a leader on the team if they respect his/her work ethic. Jarvis certainly had his faults, but you gotta admit that the team was inspired by Stanley's hustle. If he had Ingram's talent, he'd have been an all BE player. He couldn't shoot the ball to save his life, but he was a tough local kid that worked hard.

I think you've watched the movie Rudy too many times...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:05:15 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2017, 05:10:26 PM »
And this is the same guy who disparages the intellect of people who live in rural parts of this country. Sort of like the pot calling the kettle black.