Rutgers Exhibition Game - Sunday 1 PM

• 126 replies
Re: Rutgers Exhibition Game - Sunday 1 PM
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2017, 10:22:46 PM »
Good to have the season back and to read this very spirited and thoughtful opinion site. Not much has changed in fan attitude in the 66 years I have been tuning in.  On the lack of big guys,  I watched Maryland,  with a similar sized team to StJ this year, play several games in the NCAA the year they won it all, (12 years ago?)  It's not the size of the dog; it's the fight in the dog that counts. We will be better than last year and that's improvement. Further, our kids graduate and there is no chance of cheating not even a little bit, once again.. I want to "win it all" but I'm happy we are  re-growing.

It was 16 years ago, and you can't be serious, per your comparison.

Tahj Holden and Chris Wilcox were both 6'10 and decently built.

Lonny Baxter was 6'7" 260 lbs.  He was also a legitimate low post player.  Our frontcourt in NO WAY resembles Maryland's frontcourt during their championship season.

If we had a similar frontcourt to go with our current backcourt, then we'd likely be amongst the top 10 teams (or higher) in the country, this season.

No similarities whatsoever.

Thanks mj, beat me to it.

Yeah, but the Golden State Warriors don't really play with a traditional center!  :-)
Good point and there is very little difference between St. John's University and the Golden State Warriors.

The similarities are uncanny.

« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2017, 12:45:12 AM »
Good to have the season back and to read this very spirited and thoughtful opinion site. Not much has changed in fan attitude in the 66 years I have been tuning in.  On the lack of big guys,  I watched Maryland,  with a similar sized team to StJ this year, play several games in the NCAA the year they won it all, (12 years ago?)  It's not the size of the dog; it's the fight in the dog that counts. We will be better than last year and that's improvement. Further, our kids graduate and there is no chance of cheating not even a little bit, once again.. I want to "win it all" but I'm happy we are  re-growing.

Lonny Baxter was 6'7" 260 lbs.  He was also a legitimate low post player.  Our frontcourt in NO WAY resembles Maryland's frontcourt during their championship season.

If we had a similar frontcourt to go with our current backcourt, then we'd likely be amongst the top 10 teams (or higher) in the country, this season.

Yeah, but the Golden State Warriors don't really play with a traditional center!  :-)
Good point and there is very little difference between St. John's University and the Golden State Warriors.

They’re actually built very similarly ( pre Kevin Durant)

Both are backcourt reliant ( Curry &Thompson)
Both rely on a defensive power forward to guard one -five positions ( Draymond & Clarke)
Both rely on athletic centers that play above the rim. ( Yawke & McGee) plus the recruiting of Roberts over athletic center is proof of what they’re looking for)
Both utilize the point forward positions heavy without reliable shooting ( Iguodala & Justin Simon)

They actually use similar plays ( Jordan Brown alluded to this during his SJU visit)

Quote “ They have head coach Chris Mullin and assistant coach Mitch Richmond and those are two NBA legends who give me really good input about the game,” Brown told Rivals St. John’s. “Their playing style, I think they play like a mix of Golden State and maybe a bit of the San Antonio Spurs. That style and going there and learning to play an NBA style could really help me for the next level.”

Poison

« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2017, 02:45:57 AM »

What would Lonny Baxter do to the Rutgers front line?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 02:48:54 AM by Poison »

SJUFAN

« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »

They’re actually built very similarly ( pre Kevin Durant)

Both are backcourt reliant ( Curry &Thompson)
Both rely on a defensive power forward to guard one -five positions ( Draymond & Clarke)
Both rely on athletic centers that play above the rim. ( Yawke & McGee) plus the recruiting of Roberts over athletic center is proof of what they’re looking for)
Both utilize the point forward positions heavy without reliable shooting ( Iguodala & Justin Simon)

They actually use similar plays ( Jordan Brown alluded to this during his SJU visit)

Quote “ They have head coach Chris Mullin and assistant coach Mitch Richmond and those are two NBA legends who give me really good input about the game,” Brown told Rivals St. John’s. “Their playing style, I think they play like a mix of Golden State and maybe a bit of the San Antonio Spurs. That style and going there and learning to play an NBA style could really help me for the next level.”

If the staff is going to sale the idea that we run a  "pro style system" similar to the Warriors and Spurs can someone remind them that DEFENSE is also a HUGE part of their system. 

Poison

« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2017, 09:32:14 PM »
Rutgers held Cleveland State to 38 points tonight. That’s impressive against just about anyone let alone a team from a competitive mid major conference. Looks like they have some good young talent.

« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2017, 09:35:31 PM »
Rutgers held Cleveland State to 38 points tonight. That’s impressive against just about anyone let alone a team from a competitive mid major conference. Looks like they have some good young talent.
Cleveland St is the 283 best team in D1 per kenpom.  They gave up 68 in a close win to the team we just blew out.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:35:50 PM by Gray Chudney »

« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2017, 09:40:02 PM »
I was about to say that - didn't Rutgers play a close game with a team we just destroyed