Let's be clear imho...

• 68 replies

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: Let's be clear imho...
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2018, 11:01:09 AM »
We went from Year 1 to not counting because Mullin had to scramble for players, to all 2 1/2 years being an indictment against him.

I keep hearing how SJU administratons is clueless without acknowledging that the administration has changed.  So far this season is the first time that the basketball team is in crisis and it will be interesting to see how the rest of this season plays out and what if any changes need to happen.

I do not understand the fire and venom coming from the boards here...
Cougar O' Malley

Foad

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2018, 11:23:27 AM »
We went from Year 1 to not counting because Mullin had to scramble for players, to all 2 1/2 years being an indictment against him.

I keep hearing how SJU administratons is clueless without acknowledging that the administration has changed.  So far this season is the first time that the basketball team is in crisis and it will be interesting to see how the rest of this season plays out and what if any changes need to happen.

I do not understand the fire and venom coming from the boards here...

Is that your kid in your avatar? What happens when his diapers are full and you take away his bottle? Same thing here.

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2018, 11:43:11 AM »
Mullin is in his 3rd year and 0 wins in conference. This is not football, sju should not be this far behind the 8 ball. Mullin sabotaged his third year because according to roster make up, his big jump is going to be 4th year.  So as a fan, I’m going to expect a Mullin coached team who will at best, get 3 wins in big east in year three and then next year get 10 or more cause he has more bodies? 

Let’s take a look at his new bodies next year.

Transfer from sc who barely played and will have not played meaningful minutes since he got to college.
A transfer guard from Quinnipiac, who may turn out to be good, but he has to make up at least half of what Lovett did to be somewhat productive.

4 frosh- one is as raw as u can get  in josh Roberts, a good combo guard who struggles to shoot,  jarron brooks(highly rated) however not signed yet and the kid from Long Island whose rehabbing

That’s 6 new kids who all have to make an immediate impact, cause this current team is so flawed that anything less will not get us anywhere near the tourney.   What’s more amazing is in year 3, we still can’t shoot, rebound or play defense against good teams...

Mullin will get his due time, but hard to see any improvements by him or as team for as long as he does not surround himself with knowledgeable college coaches.

Good breakdown. I'm for giving him another year. The only thing hat would make scrap that would be if Billy Donovan became available. It's not crazy that he could be let go, however you are talking May and then I'm assuming he would even have interest...which he probably wouldn't.

Why do you think Donovan turned St.John’s down in 2010? Coaches with real options don’t want to work for nice persons. Who can blame Donovan?

The reality is proven coaches with real options don’t want to coach at St Johns.

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2018, 12:07:22 PM »
Dictating staff changes especially to someone like Mullin never works.

He's either the HC or he is not.  And this is all easy for you to say since none of you are the HC or actually have to work with said assistant.

So I can't take this seriously.  You don't even know if that is the problem.  You are a fan.

You are here throwing out solutions to problems you are not qualified to solve nor are in any position to solve.

You don't go to practices, sit in on the huddles etc.

And yet you are here suggesting something you are not even sure the boss wants.

Sorry.  Anton Goff and SJU will not be telling Mullin to make a change.  It will be his call as it should be, maybe he does or maybe he doesn't.  But it is his call.
Therein lies the problem. There is no one in charge that has a clue that is big enough to tell an up to this date unsuccessful coach anything. Power 5 conferences the AD is more powerful than the coach unless you're talking about a Nick Saban or a coach K type.

You are right..and Mullin is our Saban, in terms of respect. 
That's it, plain and simple.

No one is dictating anything to Mullin.  Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. Recruiting is getting better.
The kids play period of really good basketball. 
No AD in his right might would dare force a one-sided change on Mullin.

End of story.

So Goff just walks by Mullin's office and says hi and nothing else everyday. No one has a clue except the geniuses on this board. Understand the frustration, but the solutions are reactionary. Losing Lovett and Wilson hurt big time, still like the team, despite the record, guess am more patient than most. Running businesses has made me think this way.

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2018, 06:06:09 PM »
With every loss it makes next year that much more important and that much more difficult.  The only recent analogy/hope I can see is Pitino at Minnesota.

It's not a perfect analogy but after winning t he NIT with Tubby's holdovers in his first year he fell real fast in his next 2 years.  And went squarely on the hot seat for year 4 at MInnesota.

His year 3 was a COMPLETE disaster.  He was 8-23 and 2-16, I mean really bad... So he needed a HUGE turnaround in year 4 to keep his job.  I mean not an NIT appearance,  He ended up winning 24 games, going 11-7 and getting a 5 seed in the NCAA's (the equivalent of a top 20 team).  That is a big time turnaround in 1 year with a lot of pressure.  So it can be done.

I will say that Minnesota added a HUGE recruit in between year 3 and 4, Amir Coffey.  A legit top 50 stud.  That helped along with some other recruits and getting healthy.  And Coffey stepped in and made a major impact as a freshman.

I see talent next year but I don't see an Amir Coffey coming in nor do I see quite frankly an Amir Coffey on the team already... 

Oklahoma has had a huge turnaround between last year and this year.  Of course again a huge impact freshman, Trae Young.

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2018, 08:22:09 PM »
This is well and good, but Mullin is not a coach.  Until he brings in a staff of competent coaches, and he will not win.

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2018, 08:25:59 PM »
This is well and good, but Mullin is not a coach.  Until he brings in a staff of competent coaches, and he will not win.

Well then he will be gone...
But the hope is next year is a huge breakthrough...realistic or not that is what we are hanging our hat on.  And big turnarounds are not impossible even if they are inlikely...

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2018, 08:33:49 PM »
I think this year opens up Mullins eyes as far as what he needs.  Rock bottom sometimes  wakes up even the most stubborn people.  It’s been 3 miserable years, what’s one more if he can’t succeed.

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2018, 10:17:31 PM »
Maybe just a coincidence but I found it interesting that there have been at least a half a dozen tweets about the staff and specifically CM being at the Invitational today recruiting.  Again maybe just a coincidence but I do think Chris understands the uneasiness of the current situation and is trying to be more visible in recruiting (before it was mostly the staff-ie Matt) to make it clear there is no question how committed he is to turning this around.

@MarleyPaul22
Team Rio guys Bryan Antoine (25 points, 6 rebounds) and Jalen Gaffney (17 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists) just battled with Chris Mullin & @mabde33 on hand #sjubb
Ranney won 58-51 over Westtown w/o Scottie Lewis at @EmpireInvite

@Andrew__Slater
6’10” Aidan Igiehon’19 @Big_harris22 attracted St.John’s coaches Chris Mullin & @mabde33 & Xavier’s Luke Murray to @EmpireInvite ☘️. Stanford, Oregon, Virginia are recruiting him hard too – at Adelphi University Center for Recreation & Sports

Pic of Chris and Matt:

https://twitter.com/EmpireInvite/status/955137050843537410
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:24:44 PM by fordham96 »