Shamorie Ponds NBA Potential

• 106 replies
Re: Shamorie Ponds NBA Potential
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
I think it should be noted that Ponds is putting up similar and even better numbers than Kemba put up in his sophomore year. In Kemba's junior year, he had a freshman Jeremy Lamb and Shabazz Napier to play with. Ponds is doing this without any real help and he is still able to find and create his shot. It'll all depend on how he develops next season.

It should also be noted that Ponds dropped 40 on Lonzo Ball in high school and, I might be wrong on this, but he beat Isaiah Whitehead and Lincoln as a freshman.

In his last two games he's 5/13 from deep. I really think what you saw throughout the year was just a slump and he wasn't suited to play off the ball as much. Right now, he needs the ball in his hands and to create his shot. Look at the Georgetown game. His last two 3 pointers. The first was a catch and shoot from the corner, the other was a hesi pull-up.

That's a place where he'll need to develop. Becoming a better off-ball player, adding a floater, drawing more fouls. Those are easily fixable.

There is no questioning his shot. It's elite. It will start to fall and when it does he'll hit 40 pts a few times. He also has a great floater already...he could stand to use it more often.

I think Tariq Owens will gain 200 pounds next season and resemble LSU Shaq
We will have some team next year. Like a real life Blue Chips.
Going to have Shaq and Steph Curry.

Pete88

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 04:01:48 PM »
NBADraft.net has Shamorie Ponds as the last pick of the 2019 NBA Draft. I personally think that's way too low and I truly believe he could be picked in the 12-17 range by next season.

I think there are two solid comparisons for Ponds. Kris Dunn and Kemba Walker. I think both are a bit more explosive than Ponds but Ponds has a very crafty and agile athleticism. He has a great mid-range jump shot and he has a lot of dribble drive moves. He's an underrated passer and defender. I personally think he's a better passer and rebounder than Kemba was as a sophomore and junior but Kemba was a better scorer.

However, I don't think Shamorie is far off. I think what's hurt Shamorie's three ball this year was them trying to get him to play off ball and letting Lovett and Simon be more of the ball handlers. I think Shamorie needs the ball in his hand and he needs to create. If he can work on that and develop his ability to hit catch and shoot 3's, I think he could be, at least, a 35% shooter from 3. The other thing he'll need to work on is adding a little more muscle and focusing on drawing contact when he gets to the rim. He needs to know when and how to draw more fouls to get to the line.

His usage rate is almost where Kemba's was as a junior and Ponds has the same turnover% that Kemba had as a junior.

Shamorie has a Kyrie/Isaiah Thomas like ability to use the glass while driving (he isn't Kyrie and Isaiah is more athletic) and his ability to stop on a dime and hit a mid-range jumper is key. If he can add a floater, become a better off-ball player (look at the 3 he missed against Georgetown and then the one he hit), and learn how to draw contact more, he could be a dynamic player in the NBA. I think Kemba Walker would be his ceiling.

But maybe I'm biased. What do you guys think?

I'm sure NBA scouts are drooling at the prospect of taking a guard who is undersized, subpar on defense, and shoots under 20% from the 3 pt arc....

How about a 90% FT shooter that can score at every level with perfect touch on his passes and elite NBA vision? Get this kid a capable ball handler to play with and he will be draining threes all over the court. He is going to be a plus plus NBA shooter that can get into his shot from any spot inside the half court in one dribble.

WOW are you seriously serious, like really???  You just described an NBA all-star (can score at will - elite NBA vision - draining 3's all over the court).  Shocked he didn't go in the lottery last year.  I know, he's projected to go this year right? 

I think Ponds is a solid player - has an uncanny ability to get to the hole and finish, has a solid mid range game.  He is NOT a pure shooter, probably not as bad a shooter as shown this year but far, far from elite.  Have not seen any evidence of having elite vision, Cook and Barkley were levels better in that area.  He can and should be a good defensive player but he's not, gambles to much, wanders away from his man all the time.  That said, he's a good player and that's it.

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »
NBADraft.net has Shamorie Ponds as the last pick of the 2019 NBA Draft. I personally think that's way too low and I truly believe he could be picked in the 12-17 range by next season.

I think there are two solid comparisons for Ponds. Kris Dunn and Kemba Walker. I think both are a bit more explosive than Ponds but Ponds has a very crafty and agile athleticism. He has a great mid-range jump shot and he has a lot of dribble drive moves. He's an underrated passer and defender. I personally think he's a better passer and rebounder than Kemba was as a sophomore and junior but Kemba was a better scorer.

However, I don't think Shamorie is far off. I think what's hurt Shamorie's three ball this year was them trying to get him to play off ball and letting Lovett and Simon be more of the ball handlers. I think Shamorie needs the ball in his hand and he needs to create. If he can work on that and develop his ability to hit catch and shoot 3's, I think he could be, at least, a 35% shooter from 3. The other thing he'll need to work on is adding a little more muscle and focusing on drawing contact when he gets to the rim. He needs to know when and how to draw more fouls to get to the line.

His usage rate is almost where Kemba's was as a junior and Ponds has the same turnover% that Kemba had as a junior.

Shamorie has a Kyrie/Isaiah Thomas like ability to use the glass while driving (he isn't Kyrie and Isaiah is more athletic) and his ability to stop on a dime and hit a mid-range jumper is key. If he can add a floater, become a better off-ball player (look at the 3 he missed against Georgetown and then the one he hit), and learn how to draw contact more, he could be a dynamic player in the NBA. I think Kemba Walker would be his ceiling.

I'm the biggest Ponds fan going but Dunn and Walker are bad comps. Both are super athletes while Ponds is above average. And Dunn is like 6'3 225. Ponds seems to be more in the Mo Williams and Seth Curry category with a poor man's Steph Curry as his ceiling if his skills develop.

You can have your opinions on who was better between our guards the last 20 years, but Ponds is the best NBA guard prospect we've had in the 21st century. Better than Barkley and Cook and certainly better than Hatten, Hardy, and Harrison.

Steph Curry?
If he develops his skills? You mean if he can develop his shooting skills from 19% from college line to that of the best shooter on the planet.
That would be like asking a guy with a 5 inch penis to develop his penis to be Dirk Diggler size. Not happening!

He shot 38% last year on 6 attempts per game. He can't do it alone. Look at his FT % when he doesn't have to rely on the trash he shares a roster with. You're not that dumb WASJU. You know he has no support.

He plays with better guys than Curry ever did.
Curry lifetime  in college 47%, 41 %, 88%
Ponds career so far 42%, 31%, 83%
Can't believe we are discussing this.
Dave had best comparison when Ponds was coming in to school, "Poor man's Cuttino Mobley"
Mobley was listed at 6-4 though.
BTW Mobley shot 44%, 35%, 82%

Nick van Exel was best comp IMO

Good one. Had more of a traditional looking jumper though. Sort of looked like Lovett's.
I really like Ponds but Marillac has gone off the reservation .
If he makes the pros he will probably have to go over seas or G league route first. Then do not see as anything but a fringe player in NBA.
Would like being wrong in this case but again as of now he is on fringe of being drafted according to experts.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:03:49 PM by we are sju »

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »
I think it should be noted that Ponds is putting up similar and even better numbers than Kemba put up in his sophomore year. In Kemba's junior year, he had a freshman Jeremy Lamb and Shabazz Napier to play with. Ponds is doing this without any real help and he is still able to find and create his shot. It'll all depend on how he develops next season.

It should also be noted that Ponds dropped 40 on Lonzo Ball in high school and, I might be wrong on this, but he beat Isaiah Whitehead and Lincoln as a freshman.

In his last two games he's 5/13 from deep. I really think what you saw throughout the year was just a slump and he wasn't suited to play off the ball as much. Right now, he needs the ball in his hands and to create his shot. Look at the Georgetown game. His last two 3 pointers. The first was a catch and shoot from the corner, the other was a hesi pull-up.

That's a place where he'll need to develop. Becoming a better off-ball player, adding a floater, drawing more fouls. Those are easily fixable.

There is no questioning his shot. It's elite. It will start to fall and when it does he'll hit 40 pts a few times. He also has a great floater already...he could stand to use it more often.

That was funny

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 04:19:16 PM »

I'm sure NBA scouts are drooling at the prospect of taking a guard who is undersized, subpar on defense, and shoots under 20% from the 3 pt arc....

FWIW there are a shit ton of guards 6'1 and under in the nba right now.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 04:19:33 PM »

Laugh it up. Questioning Ponds' shot is just silly. It's pure, it's fast, and he can get it off anywhere. He'll figure out how to get better looks this year and square himself to the basket better. He just needs to tweak a few things....stop fading away, choose better shots,  and get back to the great arc he used to put on it. Playing with this crap and drawing so much attention will only help him be better at the next level.

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 04:34:13 PM »

Laugh it up. Questioning Ponds' shot is just silly. It's pure, it's fast, and he can get it off anywhere. He'll figure out how to get better looks this year and square himself to the basket better. He just needs to tweak a few things....stop fading away, choose better shots,  and get back to the great arc he used to put on it. Playing with this crap and drawing so much attention will only help him be better at the next level.

You have noticed other teams going under picks up top right?
Not just me and stat sheet questioning his shot.
I do think he is a better shooter than 19%. But I do not think he will every be a good outside shooter.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 04:43:48 PM »

Sounds like he needs to tweak everything.  ;)   

But I have specifically noted that he does appear to be rushing his shots more this year and not getting properly squared up.  That'll go a long way.  All the way to elite?  Doubtful, but certainly to really really good is possible.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 04:49:44 PM »

I do think he is a better shooter than 19%. But I do not think he will every be a good outside shooter.

He already hit 38% on over 6 attempts man!!!!! As a freshman!! How dense are you being? How do you hate Ahmed so much but give Simon a complete pass? Ahmed takes the ball into the lane way more and only averages 1.6 turnovers per game (true he never passes). Simon is averaging 4 turnovers per game in conference play. He pulls a lot of stuff out of his ass last minute but how can you ever have faith in a player like that at the end of a game when the defense tightens up? His next jump stop will be his first.

Ponds can't pass the ball to himself.

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 04:56:26 PM »

He already hit 38% on over 6 attempts man!!!!! As a freshman!! How dense are you being? How do you hate Ahmed so much but give Simon a complete pass? Ahmed takes the ball into the lane way more and only averages 1.6 turnovers per game (true he never passes). Simon is averaging 4 turnovers per game in conference play. He pulls a lot of stuff out of his ass last minute but how can you ever have faith in a player like that at the end of a game when the defense tightens up? His next jump stop will be his first.

Ponds can't pass the ball to himself.

Besides the eyeball test of Simon despite not being able to shoot being our clear 2nd best player.
Simon 47% / 66% / 50%- on only 16 attempts . 4.8 assists and 2.8 TO's which is a better ratio than any year Geno ever had.
Ahmed 39% / 57% / 35 % 0.9 assists agame and 1.3 To's
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:57:09 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 05:05:41 PM »
There is no questioning his shot. It's elite. 

For once Wasju is right.  You've lost it.  40% from the field is not elite and 20% from three is awful.

But I like where you're going with this and I'm going to adopt it in my I own life.  From now on I'm going to blame my shortcomings (and despite this board thinking I'm perfect there are many)  on my family, coworkers and neighbors.

goredmen

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 06:23:38 PM »

I'm the biggest Ponds fan going but Dunn and Walker are bad comps. Both are super athletes while Ponds is above average. And Dunn is like 6'3 225. Ponds seems to be more in the Mo Williams and Seth Curry category with a poor man's Steph Curry as his ceiling if his skills develop.

You can have your opinions on who was better between our guards the last 20 years, but Ponds is the best NBA guard prospect we've had in the 21st century. Better than Barkley and Cook and certainly better than Hatten, Hardy, and Harrison.

Steph Curry?
If he develops his skills? You mean if he can develop his shooting skills from 19% from college line to that of the best shooter on the planet.
That would be like asking a guy with a 5 inch penis to develop his penis to be Dirk Diggler size. Not happening!

He shot 38% last year on 6 attempts per game. He can't do it alone. Look at his FT % when he doesn't have to rely on the trash he shares a roster with. You're not that dumb WASJU. You know he has no support.

He plays with better guys than Curry ever did.
Curry lifetime  in college 47%, 41 %, 88%
Ponds career so far 42%, 31%, 83%
Can't believe we are discussing this.
Dave had best comparison when Ponds was coming in to school, "Poor man's Cuttino Mobley"
Mobley was listed at 6-4 though.
BTW Mobley shot 44%, 35%, 82%

That whole Davidson team could dribble and pass. Not one of his teammates can on SJU. Ponds is a sharp shooter. It's crazy to me that you can't see past this slump while he plays without a capabale second ball hander. He'll be near 40% next year on 7 attempts and I'll pull this thread up.

He'd eat up Trevon Duval if the squads were even close to even...probably with them as they are too.

If Ponds went to Duke or Kentucky,  where would he be in mock drafts?

What round did Isaiah Briscoe get drafted?

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 09:22:26 PM »

If Tariq puts on 200 lbs. he will resemble LSU's Stanley Roberts not Shaq who despite being muscular was pretty thin in college. On second thought we are talking about Tariq so maybe you are right even if he put on 200 lbs. he would still be pretty thin. :)

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 09:54:55 PM »

If Tariq puts on 200 lbs. he will resemble LSU's Stanley Roberts not Shaq who despite being muscular was pretty thin in college. On second thought we are talking about Tariq so maybe you are right even if he put on 200 lbs. he would still be pretty thin. :)

200 plus his current 75 would put him at Shaq's LSU weight roughly.

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 06:10:48 PM »
Wait Ponds dropped 40 in high school on Alonzo Ball and beat Isaih Whitehead at Lincoln? Forget that he is a ball hog who plays subpar defense and makes no one else on the team better, shoots a horrible % from behind the arc and is undersized. Who gives a crap about what he did in one high school game against a family that plays zero defense. Ponds is not a pro there are so many better players out there and most of them know how to win

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2018, 09:32:28 PM »
Saying he doesn’t make his teammates better is such a joke. Saying his shot selection is shit would be completely understandable.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:33:35 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2018, 09:39:06 PM »
Saying he doesn’t make his teammates better is such a joke. Saying his shot selection is shit would be completely understandable.
Offense looked better when he was hurt. Don’t blame ponds for that either.
When ponds has the ball, 3 Guys stand around, Owens sets a high screen and ponds gets doubled.
I would rather he take bad shots then others take bad shots .

QuanMan

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2018, 09:51:58 PM »
30 Khyri Thomas' that are 20 pounds stronger and 5-10 years older are at the next level. Shamorie needs to watch a ton of personal film, get up a ton of shots and live in the weight room this Summer. I think he'll test the waters this Spring to get feedback and it'll be blessed by Mullin.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 12:08:23 AM »
30 Khyri Thomas' that are 20 pounds stronger and 5-10 years older are at the next level. Shamorie needs to watch a ton of personal film, get up a ton of shots and live in the weight room this Summer. I think he'll test the waters this Spring to get feedback and it'll be blessed by Mullin.

Khyri is an NBA player. His defense might sneak him into the first round THIS year. I predicted two months ago that he would shut Ponds down this year. He's too strong, but Ponds will catch up.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:08:48 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 12:22:54 AM »
Justin Simon is the best NBA prospect we have.