Mullin extension

• 84 replies
Re: Mullin extension
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 07:52:11 PM »
Baldi dropping a bomb on the nation, nice scoop! Considering Chris isn't going anywhere, this is a good PR move at this juncture.

Yes nothing says great public relations like adding years to a coach's contract after 8 straight losses

And firing the face of the program is good?

No. I don't want Mullin fired. But this dude just claimed it would be a good PR move to extend him which is laughable. I don't know if/when this is going to happen but announcing it in the middle of a 8 game losing streak seems pretty stupid

As Fun noted I am sure a lot of alumni  $ is tied into the fact that 40, 50 and 60 year old guys love Mullin. All you really young guys complaining can't compete with that so no one of importance is going to pay any attention to your complaints. And ST John's does not have the kind of following that is really going to make a stir even if 50% of the fan base is annoyed. 

Yup. Nobody cares about the millennial bitching

Can you imagine if Lovett played for the Yanks, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks or Rangers? Would be a huge story for weeks. Is he really hurt, did he quit, etc, etc. Barely a ripple in the papers. One article.

goredmen

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 07:52:30 PM »
Baldi dropping a bomb on the nation, nice scoop! Considering Chris isn't going anywhere, this is a good PR move at this juncture.

Yes nothing says great public relations like adding years to a coach's contract after 8 straight losses

No. I don't want Mullin fired. But this dude just claimed it would be a good PR move to extend him which is laughable. I don't know if/when this is going to happen but announcing it in the middle of a 8 game losing streak seems pretty stupid

As Fun noted I am sure a lot of alumni  $ is tied into the fact that 40, 50 and 60 year old guys love Mullin. All you really young guys complaining can't compete with that so no one of importance is going to pay any attention to your complaints. And ST John's does not have the kind of following that is really going to make a stir even if 50% of the fan base is annoyed. 

Yes I completely understand that and I've mentioned that a few teams when posters have thought there was a chance he would get fired.

All I'm saying is an announcement of an extension now is bad optics. Usually when a coach gets an extension it's because he's meeting or exceeding expectations. Imagine the jokes from people if this was announced tomorrow. And that may seem unimportant but it does impact recruiting when your program is perceived as a joke.

Again, I don't know if/when it will happen. I just hope they are smart about the timing of it. That's all

redslope

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 07:54:15 PM »

Money talks--snowflakes melt.

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 07:55:30 PM »
None of Baldi's rumors come true immediately. If he is lucky they come true within 2 years.

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 07:55:57 PM »

Yes I completely understand that and I've mentioned that a few teams when posters have thought there was a chance he would get fired.

All I'm saying is an announcement of an extension now is bad optics. Usually when a coach gets an extension it's because he's meeting or exceeding expectations. Imagine the jokes from people if this was announced tomorrow. And that may seem unimportant but it does impact recruiting when your program is perceived as a joke.

Again, I don't know if/when it will happen. I just hope they are smart about the timing of it. That's all

I love ST John's basketball. Before I discovered girls, ST John's and the Mets were my life. So please do not think I am bashing it because I get some sort of enjoyment or because I am a Baldi, but who is going to complain? And to who would they complain? Lovett thing got one article and other day there wasn't even a mention that they were playing in the Post. Thankfully for Mullin this is a reality. Again can you imagine the papers and WFAN if any other NY sports team was in the middle of an 0-8?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:57:00 PM by we are sju »

goredmen

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 08:00:34 PM »

I love ST John's basketball. Before I discovered girls, ST John's and the Mets were my life. So please do not think I am bashing it because I get some sort of enjoyment or because I am a Baldi, but who is going to complain? And to who would they complain? Lovett thing got one article and other day there wasn't even a mention that they were playing in the Post. Thankfully for Mullin this is a reality. Again can you imagine the papers and WFAN if any other NY sports team was in the middle of an 0-8?

It's not about the fanbase complaining as much as it is about the perception of the program from outside people. Let's say SJU sends out a press release tomorrow that Mullin is getting an extension and Jeff Goodman or Seth Davis tweets some snarky remark about how low our standards are that we are rewarding a coach for being 0-8. That might not mean anything to the fans that follow this program on a daily basis but it plants a seed in people that don't follow us all that closely that this program is a joke

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 08:03:04 PM »
Rutgers just extended Pikell's contract about a week ago.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 08:04:00 PM »

Can you imagine if Lovett played for the Yanks, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks or Rangers? Would be a huge story for weeks. Is he really hurt, did he quit, etc, etc. Barely a ripple in the papers. One article.

Was thinking something similar about this the other day. Imagine if Lovett played for a big program like Kansas or Kentucky? Kid would be getting killed nationally. I'm pretty sure most cbb analysts don't even know the whole story with us since SJU is essentially irrelevant nationally.

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 08:13:02 PM »

Was thinking something similar about this the other day. Imagine if Lovett played for a big program like Kansas or Kentucky? Kid would be getting killed nationally. I'm pretty sure most cbb analysts don't even know the whole story with us since SJU is essentially irrelevant nationally.

Blame Norm. I am serious. Prior to him dragging us down to irrelevance for so long, down periods like we have been in would never be tolerated. Just think all of you Mullin haters, if Mullin was the coach with this record pre-Norm he absolutely would be fired after this year. But because Norm set the bar so low, guys like me are willing to give him more time simply because he is who he is. Same with Lavin. He really only had modest success but I was willing to give him an extension and some like Tony want to build a statue of him.

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 08:25:33 PM »
A well placed source tells me there is a great chance Mullin will get an extension to help boost recruiting

Did you post this, just to 'switch it up'... so you can continue post negatively?

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 08:55:32 PM »
A well placed source tells me there is a great chance Mullin will get an extension to help boost recruiting

Did you post this, just to 'switch it up'... so you can continue post negatively?
If I said no, you would probably post some, long, boring  thesis explaining how I'm not a fan right?

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 09:02:04 PM »
I would get  in my car right now and go pick Norm up if he was willing to come back and pick this program back up where he left off. Things were on the uptick with Norm when the idiot admin at St John's fired him. He was the only coach where we watched the program grow and prosper under them and more importantly did things the right way
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:03:27 PM by LIjohnnie »

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 09:06:18 PM »
I would get  in my car right now and go pick Norm up if he was willing to come back and pick this program back up where he left off. Things were on the uptick with Norm when the idiot admin at St John's fired him. He was the only coach where we watched the program grow and prosper under them and more importantly did things the right way

How would you get to Lawrence, KS??  Take I-70???

Poison

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 09:07:37 PM »

Call me crazy but maybe that’s because LoVett is an amateur.

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 09:10:41 PM »
Is Lovett currently still with the team?

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 09:16:18 PM »

if we played for the mets there wouldn't be any question he was hurt

Pete88

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 09:17:00 PM »

Honestly this board is entertaining as fack!!!!

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 09:17:44 PM »

When you jump in the car, drive it into the Hudson River.  What "uptick" was Norm on?
Norm's conference record by year:

2004-5:   3-13 (inherited Showtime, Hamilton, Stanley)
2005-6:   5-11
2006-7:  7-9  (Showtime and Hamilton senior year)
2007-8:  5-13
2008-9:  6-12
2009-10: 6-12 (10 juniors and Mase. Jr.'s 5th year)

Please show me exactly where Norm progressed? He couldn't win with 10 juniors and his highest recruit as a 5th year senior. He wasn't even smart enough to identify Hardy and Brownlee as starters let alone the stats that they were.

And for sh*ts and giggles here is Norm's Queens College conference record:

1991-92:  2-6
1992-93: 7-11
1993-94: 2-20
1994-95: 4-18

Overall conference record of 47-135 (34%) His successor had them in the national tournament a few years after he cleaned up Norm's mess.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 09:20:08 PM »
Just threw up in my mouth

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 09:21:28 PM »

When you jump in the car, drive it into the Hudson River.  What "uptick" was Norm on?
Norm's conference record by year:

2004-5:   3-13 (inherited Showtime, Hamilton, Stanley)
2005-6:   5-11
2006-7:  7-9  (Showtime and Hamilton senior year)
2007-8:  5-13
2008-9:  6-12
2009-10: 6-12 (10 juniors and Mase. Jr.'s 5th year)

Please show me exactly where Norm progressed? He couldn't win with 10 juniors and his highest recruit as a 5th year senior. He wasn't even smart enough to identify Hardy and Brownlee as starters let alone the stats that they were.

And for sh*ts and giggles here is Norm's Queens College conference record:

1991-92:  2-6
1992-93: 7-11
1993-94: 2-20
1994-95: 4-18

Overall conference record of 47-135 (34%) His successor had them in the national tournament a few years after he cleaned up Norm's mess.

Even if his intent was serious, I don't think your response was necessary considering the ridiculousness of this entire thread....