Mullin extension

• 84 replies
Re: Mullin extension
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 09:21:32 PM »
I would get  in my car right now and go pick Norm up if he was willing to come back and pick this program back up where he left off. Things were on the uptick with Norm when the idiot admin at St John's fired him. He was the only coach where we watched the program grow and prosper under them and more importantly did things the right way
I'll call the police on you and have you arrested for DWI before you left new york

Pete88

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 09:22:47 PM »
I would get  in my car right now and go pick Norm up if he was willing to come back and pick this program back up where he left off. Things were on the uptick with Norm when the idiot admin at St John's fired him. He was the only coach where we watched the program grow and prosper under them and more importantly did things the right way

When you jump in the car, drive it into the Hudson River.  What "uptick" was Norm on?
Norm's conference record by year:

2004-5:   3-13 (inherited Showtime, Hamilton, Stanley)
2005-6:   5-11
2006-7:  7-9  (Showtime and Hamilton senior year)
2007-8:  5-13
2008-9:  6-12
2009-10: 6-12 (10 juniors and Mase. Jr.'s 5th year)

Please show me exactly where Norm progressed? He couldn't win with 10 juniors and his highest recruit as a 5th year senior. He wasn't even smart enough to identify Hardy and Brownlee as starters let alone the stats that they were.

And for sh*ts and giggles here is Norm's Queens College conference record:

1991-92:  2-6
1992-93: 7-11
1993-94: 2-20
1994-95: 4-18

Overall conference record of 47-135 (34%) His successor had them in the national tournament a few years after he cleaned up Norm's mess.

Even if his intent was serious, I don't think your response was necessary considering the ridiculousness of this entire thread....

LMAO.  This place as gone batshit crazy

QuanMan

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »

I agree with this. Norm deserved 2010-11 with his seniors. The program was on the uptick, the 2009-10 NIT team the year prior w Mase as a senior was one of the more fun years in recent history. Blowing out UConn, watching Dwight Hardy Malik Booth outplay Kemba in the Garden was the best. I often look at this year and wonder what could've been, particularly the Marquette 2 point loss in the BET. Norm's last game was a brutal 2pt loss in Memphis to end the season, as painful a loss there is, it was a unfortunate way to go out bc that team finally realized their potential w Lavs.

That team really played for Norm and one another-

The embattled Roberts asked his team to play with pride the way it did in coming back from a 20-point deficit to beat DePaul in triple overtime on Friday. And he pulled out all the stops, at one point reinserting Kennedy for three minutes in the first half with three fouls because, he said, "it's all on the line."

Burrell said the players have discussed Roberts' precarious situation and they left practice Monday with the feeling that "we have to do this for him (because) we want him here beyond this season and we know the only way for that to happen is for us to win these games."

And the Johnnies played like it, getting to almost every loose ball and shooting 54% from 3-point range and 50% for the game. As Boothe said, "we played extra hard tonight. There was second- and third- and fourth-effort plays, and those are what ultimately won the game for us."

How his players feel about him - and how they performed yesterday - made Roberts an especially happy man. "That's the ultimate for any coach, that players want to play for you, that they want to give everything they can," he said. "Every coach wants that. My guys give me that."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/st-john-routs-uconn-73-51-red-storm-advance-face-no-5-marquette-big-east-tournament-article-1.174325

https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/st-john-s-comeback-denied-by-marquette-in-big-east-tournament-1.1804476

https://nypost.com/2010/03/15/roberts-st-johns-get-nit-bid-matchup-with-memphis/
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 09:27:57 PM »
On the uptick? Are you kidding?
He was fired because he had zero recruits coming in. Not much of an uptick

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 09:35:17 PM »
Part of the job and no need to extend with 3 years remaining on Mullins contract.  If families are bringing up contract now in 2020 class, then they already know program is in bad shape.
Great recruiting amo "I just got a contract extension for myself now how would you like to play for an 0-18 BE  Conference team"?

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2018, 09:35:25 PM »
Norm is best being next to self on bench

Poison

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2018, 09:36:25 PM »

Thanks man. Good one.

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2018, 09:36:49 PM »
Norm is best being next to self on bench

Yes and he is at his best when playing with self.

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2018, 09:43:30 PM »

When you jump in the car, drive it into the Hudson River.  What "uptick" was Norm on?
Norm's conference record by year:

2004-5:   3-13 (inherited Showtime, Hamilton, Stanley)
2005-6:   5-11
2006-7:  7-9  (Showtime and Hamilton senior year)
2007-8:  5-13
2008-9:  6-12
2009-10: 6-12 (10 juniors and Mase. Jr.'s 5th year)

Please show me exactly where Norm progressed? He couldn't win with 10 juniors and his highest recruit as a 5th year senior. He wasn't even smart enough to identify Hardy and Brownlee as starters let alone the stats that they were.

And for sh*ts and giggles here is Norm's Queens College conference record:

1991-92:  2-6
1992-93: 7-11
1993-94: 2-20
1994-95: 4-18

Overall conference record of 47-135 (34%) His successor had them in the national tournament a few years after he cleaned up Norm's mess.

Even if his intent was serious, I don't think your response was necessary considering the ridiculousness of this entire thread....

LMAO.  This place as gone batshit crazy

It's pure comedy sometimes...

Johnny23

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2018, 09:51:49 PM »
Part of the job and no need to extend with 3 years remaining on Mullins contract.  If families are bringing up contract now in 2020 class, then they already know program is in bad shape.
Great recruiting amo "I just got a contract extension for myself now how would you like to play for an 0-18 BE  Conference team"?

;D

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2018, 09:52:56 PM »
Baldi starts a thread by saying there is a great chance Mullin gets an extension (presumably meaning in the not too distant future) which means there is also a chance he doesn't (meaning in the not too distant future). Within 5 hours there are 3 pages of posts like it is a fait  accompli. This thread makes Baldi the Lavar Ball of JJ.

Poison

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2018, 09:56:39 PM »

I agree with this. Norm deserved 2010-11 with his seniors. The program was on the uptick, the 2009-10 NIT team the year prior w Mase as a senior was one of the more fun years in recent history. Blowing out UConn, watching Dwight Hardy Malik Booth outplay Kemba in the Garden was the best. I often look at this year and wonder what could've been, particularly the Marquette 2 point loss in the BET. Norm's last game was a brutal 2pt loss in Memphis to end the season, as painful a loss there is, it was a unfortunate way to go out bc that team finally realized their potential w Lavs.

That team really played for Norm and one another-

The embattled Roberts asked his team to play with pride the way it did in coming back from a 20-point deficit to beat DePaul in triple overtime on Friday. And he pulled out all the stops, at one point reinserting Kennedy for three minutes in the first half with three fouls because, he said, "it's all on the line."

Burrell said the players have discussed Roberts' precarious situation and they left practice Monday with the feeling that "we have to do this for him (because) we want him here beyond this season and we know the only way for that to happen is for us to win these games."

And the Johnnies played like it, getting to almost every loose ball and shooting 54% from 3-point range and 50% for the game. As Boothe said, "we played extra hard tonight. There was second- and third- and fourth-effort plays, and those are what ultimately won the game for us."

How his players feel about him - and how they performed yesterday - made Roberts an especially happy man. "That's the ultimate for any coach, that players want to play for you, that they want to give everything they can," he said. "Every coach wants that. My guys give me that."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/st-john-routs-uconn-73-51-red-storm-advance-face-no-5-marquette-big-east-tournament-article-1.174325

https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/st-john-s-comeback-denied-by-marquette-in-big-east-tournament-1.1804476

https://nypost.com/2010/03/15/roberts-st-johns-get-nit-bid-matchup-with-memphis/

Norm found a way to make the players feel guilty when his last two seasons were entirely his fault. I don’t recall him once owning up to making terrible choices with starting line ups, rotations and in game strategy. The players and the fans deserved better than Norm Roberts.

Our situation now isn’t much different. Guys play really hard, but they don’t play smart.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:05:56 PM by Poison »

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2018, 10:00:26 PM »
The negative recruiting that has happened (Luther Muhammad is a prime example) has nothing to do with years left on his contract.  His contract is not an issue and never has been.  Mind you most recruits have no idea how much time is left on his contract and furthermore this is not the Pros, college contracts are not guaranteed for the out years, it's all about the buyout.

Bottom line is the only thing that will change the perception of this coach and this program especially to recruits is to simply start winning and generating buzz with the program.  You can give him a million year extension and nothing changes unless he starts demonstrating he can win and quickly.

Kevin Ollie signed an extension last year and none of that has stopped the slide UCONN seems to be in or the loud calls that have been growing  for his job...

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2018, 10:01:49 PM »
All I know is the program is so crappy that some people are even pining for Norm and Geno.  Wish they would stop saying their names though. I think there is an old Urban Legend that if you say Norm and Geno's name three times they will appear and coach and play crappy / boring basketball until your eyes bleed right out of your head.

paultzman

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2018, 10:03:30 PM »
The negative recruiting that has happened (Luther Muhammad is a prime example) has nothing to do with years left on his contract.  His contract is not an issue and never has been.  Mind you most recruits have no idea how much time is left on his contract and furthermore this is not the Pros, college contracts are not guaranteed for the out years, it's all about the buyout.

Bottom line is the only thing that will change the perception of this coach and this program especially to recruits is to simply start winning and generating buzz with the program.  You can give him a million year extension and nothing changes unless he starts demonstrating he can win and quickly.

Kevin Ollie signed an extension last year and none of that has stopped the slide UCONN seems to be in or the loud calls that have been growing  for his job...

Yup, winning is only thing that moves the needle to change how SJU is perceived.

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2018, 10:09:52 PM »
Baldi starts a thread by saying there is a great chance Mullin gets an extension (presumably meaning in the not too distant future) which means there is also a chance he doesn't (meaning in the not too distant future). Within 5 hours there are 3 pages of posts like it is a fait  accompli. This thread makes Baldi the Lavar Ball of JJ.
Baldi thrives in chaos. :)

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2018, 10:12:40 PM »
Baldi thrives in chaos. :)

that's why you can't believe anything he posts.

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2018, 10:44:06 PM »
This thread is gold.  Per Baldi's folly to some of the responses. 

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2018, 10:51:26 PM »
this is classic Baldi, start the war and bow out of the ring and watch the carnage from afar lol

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2018, 10:55:14 PM »
this is classic Baldi, start the war and bow out of the ring and watch the carnage from afar lol
I thought Baldi was going soft once he got married a few years ago and started spending his time at 5 star vacation resorts and A list events. Clearly this year has brought back the old Baldi