2 year plan...

• 165 replies
2 year plan...
« on: January 23, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »
...talking to someone I respect and who knows SJU basketball that is the target now.  They are recalibrating.  Meaning the initial hope was to have a big time team by year 4, next year, but at this point that maybe too much to ask.

So two year plan starting after this year.

What does this mean?

Again this year is turning into a disaster, but they hope to squeeze 5 or 6 more wins out of this team.  Keep the roster intact and mesh the new transfers and recruits into next season.  The hope is to make a serious turnaround next season, 10 or 11 League wins and an NCAA bid.

To help do that Chris will look at a staff change this year.  But more importantly he, as you see recently, will be all over recruiting.  Wants to land 1 or 2 real impact recruits in 2019.  Because...

2019-20 is the second year of the 2 year plan to get SJU nipping on the heals of Villanova.

So in closing:
1)Finish this year as competitive as possible and hope for some wins.  Acknowledge it was not a good year and make some changes including potentially a staff change.
2)Recruit hard this spring and summer and get some 19 kids on board early, one's that can make a difference and an impact immediately. 
3)Coach up the 18-19 squad into a middle of the pack BE team if not better and then
4)Combine some difference making recruits in 19 with the returning team and be ready to make a big splash in 19-20 (year 5 of the Mullin experiment).

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
Re: 2 year plan...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
I know this is a long shot, but could St. John's maybe convince Bobby Hurley Sr to take an advisory role kind of like how Lavin had Gene Keady? If you were somehow able to do that and replace Greg St. Jean with Mike Rice, that could lead to big impact on the recruiting trail while also adding two guys with some solid coaching experience.

New Jersey seems to be more of a hotbed for basketball talent than New York is on a more consistent basis so anything we can do to get in there would help. I think Mullin and Matt need to go all in and do whatever it takes to get Cole Anthony because that's what they want, NYC kids. It should be easier considering his dad is Greg Anthony who played during Mullin and Ritchmond's heydays and he also played for the Knicks.

I know the Bobby Hurley Sr thing is a pipe dream but it's worth exploring. I think Mike Rice should be hired over Greg St. Jean and we need to build a 2019 class around Cole Anthony.

My day dream is now watching Ponds carry us to a Big East title in 2018-19 and maybe two wins in the tournament and then Cole Anthony leads us to a 2nd straight Big East Title and a Final Four.

wpc77

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:00:17 PM »
...talking to someone I respect and who knows SJU basketball that is the target now.  They are recalibrating.  Meaning the initial hope was to have a big time team by year 4, next year, but at this point that maybe too much to ask.

What does this mean?

Again this year is turning into a disaster, but they hope to squeeze 5 or 6 more wins out of this team.  Keep the roster intact and mesh the new transfers and recruits into next season.  The hope is to make a serious turnaround next season, 10 or 11 League wins and an NCAA bid.

To help do that Chris will look at a staff change this year.  But more importantly he, as you see recently, will be all over recruiting.  Wants to land 1 or 2 real impact recruits in 2019.  Because...

2019-20 is the second year of the 2 year plan to get SJU nipping on the heals of Villanova.

So in closing:
1)Finish this year as competitive as possible and hope for some wins.  Acknowledge it was not a good year and make some changes including potentially a staff change.
2)Recruit hard this spring and summer and get some 19 kids on board early, one's that can make a difference and an impact immediately. 
3)Coach up the 18-19 squad into a middle of the pack BE team if not better and then
4)Combine some difference making recruits in 19 with the returning team and be ready to make a big splash in 19-20 (year 5 of the Mullin experiment).

Live in hope and die in despair.  Would love for this to happen, but history is not on our side.  I cannot think of any coach with such a bad 3 year stretch at the start of his tenure at a school who ever turned it around, except for Rat Face, who went 17-13, 10-17 and 11-17 in his first 3 seasons, before making the NCAA tournament for 33/34 years after that.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 01:06:11 PM »

What does this mean?

So in closing:

Live in hope and die in despair.  Would love for this to happen, but history is not on our side.

Yeah, I concur.  I understand fordham is only repeating what he's heard.  IMO, it's all white noise.

By the way, negative recruiting is very real. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:06:47 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:09:49 PM »
I know this is a long shot, but could St. John's maybe convince Bobby Hurley Sr to take an advisory role kind of like how Lavin had Gene Keady? If you were somehow able to do that and replace Greg St. Jean with Mike Rice, that could lead to big impact on the recruiting trail while also adding two guys with some solid coaching experience.

New Jersey seems to be more of a hotbed for basketball talent than New York is on a more consistent basis so anything we can do to get in there would help. I think Mullin and Matt need to go all in and do whatever it takes to get Cole Anthony because that's what they want, NYC kids. It should be easier considering his dad is Greg Anthony who played during Mullin and Ritchmond's heydays and he also played for the Knicks.

I know the Bobby Hurley Sr thing is a pipe dream but it's worth exploring. I think Mike Rice should be hired over Greg St. Jean and we need to build a 2019 class around Cole Anthony.

My day dream is now watching Ponds carry us to a Big East title in 2018-19 and maybe two wins in the tournament and then Cole Anthony leads us to a 2nd straight Big East Title and a Final Four.

Bro, Cole Anthony is going to Duke, and this isn’t even up for discussion. I think you mean Precious Achiwa.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »

What does this mean?

So in closing:

I give this plan about a 0.000005% chance of happening. I know you're repeating what you heard, but this program is going no where with Mullin at the helm.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »
Again I  am not saying it will happen I am just saying that is the plan and more importantly the expectation even from Chris.

That's important, because at some point when you fail to make or exceed expectations it will cost you your job.  At this point having a bad year does not but at some point it will.  And that is why they are recalibrating.  To re-set after a bad year but to also set a reasonable time table of where he and the program needs to be in 2 years.

ras

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 02:12:45 PM »

What does this mean?

So in closing:

Live in hope and die in despair.  Would love for this to happen, but history is not on our side.

Yeah, I concur.  I understand fordham is only repeating what he's heard.  IMO, it's all white noise.

I was thinking about that. Maybe Mullin just had a string of bad luck and he is fact a good coach. But any school competing w us is going tell recruits Mullin can’t coach and look at our record.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 02:15:10 PM »

What does this mean?

So in closing:

I was thinking about that. Maybe Mullin just had a string of bad luck and he is fact a good coach. But any school competing w us is going tell recruits Mullin can’t coach and look at our record.

Negative recruiting is real with this staff.  That is why it is imperative they get some momentum this summer and make a big leap next year or the calls will only get louder...

wpc77

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »
Again I  am not saying it will happen I am just saying that is the plan and more importantly the expectation even from Chris.

That's important, because at some point when you fail to make or exceed expectations it will cost you your job.  At this point having a bad year does not but at some point it will.  And that is why they are recalibrating.  To re-set after a bad year but to also set a reasonable time table of where he and the program needs to be in 2 years.

Appreciate the info.  This will be a difficult path.  This will also require coach to be either in the NY area or recruiting for the entirety of the next 2 seasons, which might be difficult as well.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »

Appreciate the info.  This will be a difficult path.  This will also require coach to be either in the NY area or recruiting for the entirety of the next 2 seasons, which might be difficult as well.

He missed the April recruiting period because of the hip surgery.  And he has been very absent during the season as his assistants have done most of the recruiting.  I think last weekend showed and going forward you will see his presence on the trail much more.  These next 6-8 months are going to be huge for him.   He is no dummy he can read the papers.  He can see the standings.  He knows what has happened this year.  And with no previous season or seasons of success to bank any goodwill on it is imperative he get this thing righted NOW. 

Dan

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »
Until I see a real coaching staff around Mullin, I have little faith.  He needs to realize this is sink or swim.  Currently he is drowning.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 04:03:35 PM »
Until I see a real coaching staff around Mullin, I have little faith.  He needs to realize this is sink or swim.  Currently he is drowning.

Be clear I am not personally asking for faith or anything.  I am telling you what is going to be expected.

Even if you are a pessimist it is not that bad.  Unless you honestly felt his job was in jeopardy which no realistic person ever felt.

TONYD3

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »

Be clear I am not personally asking for faith or anything.  I am telling you what is going to be expected.

Even if you are a pessimist it is not that bad.  Unless you honestly felt his job was in jeopardy which no realistic person ever felt.
I am not a pessimist. Still he has no chance. Did i think he would be fired ? Sadly no. I still hope he quits, every loss makes that more and more possible.
This time frame or whatever it is  could be possible if he was competent. Not expecting that. Still think it’s 50-50 he gets an extension. Plenty of old guys with money.

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 04:55:13 PM »

I am not a pessimist. Still he has no chance. Did i think he would be fired ? Sadly no. I still hope he quits, every loss makes that more and more possible.
This time frame or whatever it is  could be possible if he was competent. Not expecting that. Still think it’s 50-50 he gets an extension. Plenty of old guys with money.

Me Tony, fire good, saber tooth tiger and Mullin bad. I like cave.

I guess Norm drove Realfan to his ransom note style all caps posts and now Mullin has driven Tony into caveman posts.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:58:21 PM by we are sju »

SJUFAN

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 05:00:33 PM »

What does this mean?

So in closing:

Who on the staff could potentially be replaced and by whom?

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »

What does this mean?

So in closing:

Personally I would like to replace Mitch and ST Jean with Walter Berry and a female porn star. That would be a well rounded staff and Porn star would be great recruiting tool.

Mia Khalifa. She is retired but likes sports.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:18:14 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 05:19:22 PM »

What does this mean?

So in closing:

I know I'm not the only one who has the position that Mitch serves no purpose as a full AC and should be in Keady's chair.  From there he can still serve his purpose which is to teach shooting and shake recruits hands on campus while wearing his HOF ring or jacket or whatever they have.

Replace him with an experienced assistant, preferably one who can do some XnOs as well as recruit, even if Mullin refuses to ask anyone to leave outright., 

paultzman

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 05:27:28 PM »

What does this mean?

So in closing:

I know I'm not the only one who has the position that Mitch serves no purpose as a full AC and should be in Keady's chair.  From there he can still serve his purpose which is to teach shooting and shake recruits hands on campus while wearing his HOF ring or jacket or whatever they have.

Replace him with an experienced assistant, preferably one who can do some XnOs as well as recruit, even if Mullin refuses to ask anyone to leave outright., 
Exactly

TONYD3

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 05:28:37 PM »

Me Tony, fire good, saber tooth tiger and Mullin bad. I like cave.

I guess Norm drove Realfan to his ransom note style all caps posts and now Mullin has driven Tony into caveman posts.
I think you have to get a job or maybe go to foady’s for happy hour. Dick Vitale and Walter berry was the dumbest idea I ever heard. As was giving an extension to a coach with lower the .200 wining percentage.