Bars around Campus

• 34 replies
Re: Bars around Campus
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 02:00:51 PM »
Nothing classy about Bartini's---except that you have to wear shoes (no sneakers).

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 11:53:44 PM »
Nothing classy about Bartini's---except that you have to wear shoes (no sneakers).

I would say your about right... I do think you need a collared shirt though.

It's a very small place (lounge/bar). However, everytime I have went I have a had a good time. It's a good spot to go to if you don't feel like going to a club in the city but still want to hear some music and mingle with some ladies.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 01:57:16 PM »
Yeah Last Call was Gantry's....what's JPODs?

WOW..  JPOD's was a legendary St. John's bar. One of the former owners, Jimmy Prendegast was a St. Francis Prep hoops player and a good family friend.

Had many a beer there from 1987 until it closed.

Yes JPOD"S  packed every game during the 84-85 season and for a few years after. We watched the 85 final 4 there.  NBC was there during the game. Rolanda Watts was doing interviews.  Jerry was the best bartender.

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »
Do people still go to traditions? I remember going to that place most of the time because they let minors in and they never enforced the wristband rule plus they had all you can drink beer upstairs on weekends usually sponsed by a frat or sorriority. Spent many of a druken night up there, plus they were nice when I passed out a few times. Gantry's was strict with ID's unless you got there before 11 PM, plus I never liked Gantry's, too cramped and no pool tables. But I do think its a shame that its gone though, it was the only tradition of St Johns that was passed down by generation. Sly Fox is too classy for the undergrad, we need a new bar, one that is open all day with sunday ticket and great wings and burgers. Also, it can be a bar that helps promote the basketball program with having coaches's talk shows there on the radio say 1050, (660 WFAN would never have us on the air for an interview exclusive weekly show). We need an all-day hangout bar instead of an 11 PM to 3 AM get wasted then stagger back to campus and watching Public Saftey not citing you (god bless them) bar.

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 07:39:05 AM »
When I was there in the mid 70's the best place IMHO was Poor Richard's, great hamburgers back then. Also law students went to Creighton's and Gray's, and occasionally Patrick's Pub on Northern Blvd, a bit further away. I think but am not sure Sly Fox just came in as I got out in '78

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 02:38:18 PM »
What????  No mention of Sam's  :angel:

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 05:28:05 PM »
Iguanas.

Moose

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 07:01:46 PM »
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »
Do people still go to traditions? I remember going to that place most of the time because they let minors in and they never enforced the wristband rule plus they had all you can drink beer upstairs on weekends usually sponsed by a frat or sorriority. Spent many of a druken night up there, plus they were nice when I passed out a few times. Gantry's was strict with ID's unless you got there before 11 PM, plus I never liked Gantry's, too cramped and no pool tables. But I do think its a shame that its gone though, it was the only tradition of St Johns that was passed down by generation. Sly Fox is too classy for the undergrad, we need a new bar, one that is open all day with sunday ticket and great wings and burgers. Also, it can be a bar that helps promote the basketball program with having coaches's talk shows there on the radio say 1050, (660 WFAN would never have us on the air for an interview exclusive weekly show). We need an all-day hangout bar instead of an 11 PM to 3 AM get wasted then stagger back to campus and watching Public Saftey not citing you (god bless them) bar.

I remember when there was a bar on campus

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 11:11:54 AM »
When I was there in the mid 70's the best place IMHO was Poor Richard's, great hamburgers back then. Also law students went to Creighton's and Gray's, and occasionally Patrick's Pub on Northern Blvd, a bit further away. I think but am not sure Sly Fox just came in as I got out in '78

haha creighton and grays is now traditions or trads which is surprising because it is not known as a nice bar. cheap drinks though.  i see most law students going to sly fox to drink..

Moose

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 11:16:34 AM »

haha creighton and grays is now traditions or trads which is surprising because it is not known as a nice bar. cheap drinks though.  i see most law students going to sly fox to drink..

I thought Trads closed a couple years ago.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 08:29:38 PM »
it closed last year but it reopened. the terrible cheap beer continues to flow there.

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »
Igunas is solid. You cannot beat $1 beers and they have legit selection of tequila. I like Parsons not bad.

NYCoffey

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 04:41:50 PM »
Was a commuter from '89 to '94. Jpods was always my place. 5 cent beer night(although it may have been days right after class ended) seemed to always fit my budget. But the hangover from the swill gave me straight Cs. Haven't been around campus in a while but can't believe Jpods and Gantrys are gone. The only existing bar that I went to that's still there is the sly fox. And that was always the 3rd option.

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 08:17:52 PM »
GANTRY'S!!