MVP of Lord of the Rings

• 6 replies

Marillac

MVP of Lord of the Rings
« on: January 06, 2009, 07:57:03 PM »
I guess the quick answer would be Frodo for carrying the ring and the burden associated with it.  My pick would be Sam. 

The guy was the best sidekick in movie history.  He accompanied Frodo the whole way, even carried the ring when he thought Frodo had been killed (after being kicked out for being right), saved Frodo from being held captive, and was there at the end when Frodo wigged out. 

Thoughts? :)

Tha Kid

Re: MVP of Lord of the Rings
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:03:37 PM »
I guess the quick answer would be Frodo for carrying the ring and the burden associated with it.  My pick would be Sam. 

The guy was the best sidekick in movie history.  He accompanied Frodo the whole way, even carried the ring when he thought Frodo had been killed (after being kicked out for being right), saved Frodo from being held captive, and was there at the end when Frodo wigged out. 

Sure...Frodo without Sam replaced by another hobbit MIGHT have been able to get it done.  Unlikely, but if Frodo was replaced with another hobbit, perhaps the job is done.

But can you replace Gandolf?  I just don't think so...he seems special to me!  Going along with this thinking, I vote Gandolf.

That said --- if I was a writer who got to put my MVP list before entertaining a different character just because Marillac got me thinking it would have gone like this:

1.  Frodo
2.  Gandolf
3.  Aragon
4.  Samwise
5.  Gollum --- lead them when they had no idea where to go, even if he tried to sabotage!  Also helped Sam/Frodo realize how powerful the ring was!
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:17:32 PM »

Sure...Frodo without Sam replaced by another hobbit MIGHT have been able to get it done.  Unlikely, but if Frodo was replaced with another hobbit, perhaps the job is done.

But can you replace Gandolf?  I just don't think so...he seems special to me!  Going along with this thinking, I vote Gandolf.

That said --- if I was a writer who got to put my MVP list before entertaining a different character just because Marillac got me thinking it would have gone like this:

1.  Frodo
2.  Gandolf
3.  Aragon
4.  Samwise
5.  Gollum --- lead them when they had no idea where to go, even if he tried to sabotage!  Also helped Sam/Frodo realize how powerful the ring was!

Interesting. I never really thought of Aragon or Gandolf--both certainly integral to the success of the hobbits--I guess I just wrote them off because neither would have been able to carry the ring and most of their efforts were concentrated in battles away from the ring journey. 

The other two hobbits from the story cetainly couldn't have filled the part of Samwise.  Merry got his arse kicked by the ball. 

What about Legolas over Gollum? I'm sure if Gollum were gone, Legolas or another elf would have found the way.

I think I'll have to stick with Sam, but probably a closer margin than I originally though.  He did show great resiliency to the ring.

1. Samwise
2. Frodo
3. Gandolf
4. Aragon
5. Legolas

Tha Kid

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 08:57:31 PM »
I was thinking about Legolas...honestly Legolas is probably ahead of Gollum, I was just trying to put someone random out there for more discussion.  Legolas is more valuable than the dwarf for sure.  Sam ahead of Frodo is an interesting one...could you put Pippen ahead of Jordan?  That's what it feels like to me...
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 09:21:34 PM »
How about the brother who convined the TREES to go kick some ass. But ya I think its Rudy for MVP. Great thread, loved those movies-I gotta read the books

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 12:04:16 AM »
I was thinking about Legolas...honestly Legolas is probably ahead of Gollum, I was just trying to put someone random out there for more discussion.  Legolas is more valuable than the dwarf for sure.  Sam ahead of Frodo is an interesting one...could you put Pippen ahead of Jordan?  That's what it feels like to me...

It's tough putting Pippen--pun intended?--in front of Jordan, but I think Frodo's lapses towards the end make it more like putting TO in front of Donovan McNabb after McNabb couldn't even say the plays in the Super Bowl.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 11:27:52 PM »
Im looking through all these old threads in search for one on The Wire (just watched entire series in 3 weeks!) but this thread is worth the search.

Sam was the man!

But I would have to go with Gandalf

FLY YOU FOOLS!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.