Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: Around Big East
« Reply #3180 on: June 09, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
Man he makes $1.2 million/year.  That is peanuts.  Wow some of these BE schools really need to kick it up.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2017/06/09/chris-holtmann-talks-become-ohio-states-new-coach/383221001/

Wods317

« Reply #3181 on: June 09, 2017, 09:06:16 AM »
Man he makes $1.2 million/year.  That is peanuts.  Wow some of these BE schools really need to kick it up.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2017/06/09/chris-holtmann-talks-become-ohio-states-new-coach/383221001/

Hard to blame him for leaving when you can triple your salary. It might be past that point but you would hope Butler would be capable of paying their coach more then that.

« Reply #3182 on: June 09, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
Will any of the Butler kids transfer?

QuanMan

« Reply #3183 on: June 09, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
Crean and Gottfried immediately come to mind if they don't hire internally.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #3184 on: June 09, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »
Crazy hire. He was only head coach at Butler for two full years with a loaded roster. He held his own for sure, but everyone does at Butler.

« Reply #3185 on: June 09, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »
Their probably all waiting to see who the next coach is. Doubt any of them are following this coach to OSU, may not be allowed to.

Marillac

« Reply #3186 on: June 09, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »

That's not the Butler way.

Poison

« Reply #3187 on: June 10, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »
Crazy hire. He was only head coach at Butler for two full years with a loaded roster. He held his own for sure, but everyone does at Butler.

I give Ohio State credit from taking a chance on a coach from a lower ranked conference.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:10:56 AM by Poison »

« Reply #3188 on: June 10, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »

I give Ohio State credit from taking a chance on a coach from a lower ranked conference.

Arizona hired Sean Miller from Xavier, then in the A-10.
UCLA hired Steve Alford from New Mexico.
Indiana hired Archie Miller from Dayton, of the A-10.

You could argue that the Holtmann hire by OSU was bigger than those 3.

« Reply #3189 on: June 10, 2017, 04:57:02 PM »
Also the fact that our conference has been rated better than theirs for the last 3 years
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #3190 on: June 10, 2017, 05:02:59 PM »

Troll.

Poison

« Reply #3191 on: June 10, 2017, 05:09:39 PM »

Arizona hired Sean Miller from Xavier, then in the A-10.
UCLA hired Steve Alford from New Mexico.
Indiana hired Archie Miller from Dayton, of the A-10.

You could argue that the Holtmann hire by OSU was bigger than those 3.

Not arguing. A coach w 2 years of experience from a smaller conference is a risk. It worked out for them the last time they did it. Point being, the new BE will be a farm system for coaches in conferences like the Big Ten and the ACC.

« Reply #3192 on: June 10, 2017, 05:18:56 PM »
Also the fact that our conference has been rated better than theirs for the last 3 years

I don't know what our vs theirs means but the Big 10 as a whole is  better conference.   I get the RPI rating but again a lot if that has to do with large conferences being hurt by having 3-4 weak teams and in the case of the Big 10 having a traditional power like OSU struggling the last couple of years along with IU missing the Tourney as well has hurt them. But no one believes that will last long.

The fact is the Big 10 being down or not the only job in the BE that is remotely comparable to OSU is Villanova because of their recent success but when you factor in resources it isn't even close.  And in basketball OSU is probably the 4th best BIG 10 job after IU, MSU and Wisconsin right now.

paultzman

« Reply #3193 on: June 15, 2017, 09:42:27 AM »
Rob Anderson @_robanderson

Creighton center Justin Patton has earned a Green Room invite for the NBA Draft, per @DraftExpress. They project him 17th to the Bucks.

paultzman

« Reply #3194 on: June 25, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »

Mike Hopkins @pcbb1917

Providence lands Top-50 guard AJ Reeves to kick off 2018 recruiting #pcbb #gofriars (link: https://pcbb1917.com/2017/06/25/aj-reeves-2018-commits-providence-friars-ed-cooley-brian-blaney-mass-rivals/) pcbb1917.com/2017/06/25/aj-…

QuanMan

« Reply #3195 on: June 25, 2017, 03:55:18 PM »
Cooley has guided Providence to four consecutive 20 win seasons, making the NCAA Tourney each year. Next year is going to bring high expectations with four seniors starting. Their roster is stacked. A senior BE POY candidate next year in Bullock, couple in seniors Cartwright, Lindsey and Holt along with a very talented sophomore in Alpha Diallo. Incoming 4 star PG Langford as well. I felt that our best win last season was @Providence, they're the most underrated team heading into next season IMO.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #3196 on: June 26, 2017, 08:09:47 AM »
Cooley has guided Providence to four consecutive 20 win seasons, making the NCAA Tourney each year. Next year is going to bring high expectations with four seniors starting. Their roster is stacked. A senior BE POY candidate next year in Bullock, couple in seniors Cartwright, Lindsey and Holt along with a very talented sophomore in Alpha Diallo. Incoming 4 star PG Langford as well. I felt that our best win last season was @Providence, they're the most underrated team heading into next season IMO.

They are going to be really good, but I feel like a team with 2-3 strong guards can give them big problems. They can't stop the ball on defense. I love that that 6-6 to 6-8 group of players they have led by Bullock and Holt. I think Clark will go a long way for us in those battles. A 225-230 lb Owens could put us over the top of them, but we never see gains like that under our strength and conditioning staff.

QuanMan

« Reply #3197 on: June 26, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »

They are going to be really good, but I feel like a team with 2-3 strong guards can give them big problems. They can't stop the ball on defense. I love that that 6-6 to 6-8 group of players they have led by Bullock and Holt. I think Clark will go a long way for us in those battles. A 225-230 lb Owens could put us over the top of them, but we never see gains like that under our strength and conditioning staff.

Who's the better senior laden team next year, Hall or Providence?
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #3198 on: June 26, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »

Hall due to their size and depth up front. They are a bad matchup for Providence head to head. Both are locks for the tournament. There won't be much separating the top 7-8 teams.

QuanMan

« Reply #3199 on: June 26, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »

Hall due to their size and depth up front. They are a bad matchup for Providence head to head. Both are locks for the tournament. There won't be much separating the top 7-8 teams.

Agreed that Delgado's presence will reign supreme, to note however is that Cooley does have some frontcourt size coming in with Dajour Dickens. Regardless I expect Providence to be elite next year.

http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2507/class/2017
Section 3
Section 116