Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY

• 749 replies
Re: Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #480 on: May 22, 2017, 08:59:46 PM »
CJ was much more smooth. Sid is more like Jeremi Grant.

Dave, you're right.  Jerami Grant might be perfect comparison.  I thing Wilson has a bit more range at this point, but not quite as strong as Grant.

Stop!!!!

You don't like it?  I think it's a lot closer than Shumpert.

Jerami Grant is a freak show athletically. He is one of the best athletes in the world and that allows him to play in the NBA with less than average skills. Sid is a shooter and dunker like many kids in this era. Grant could never shoot....he didn't make a single shot his soph season. Wilson will be a kid that takes 5 treys a game or more as a soph. Shumpert was a good athlete with the same size as Sid and could really stroke it. I don't think posters understand how big the three point shot is to Sid's game.

Sid is not a shooter nor is the 3 point shot a part of his game. Over 2 seasons of travel ball (32 games) he's shot 8 of 27 from three which is just over 29%. I compared him more to Jeremi Grant because he relies more on his superior athleticism and quickness in the paint than overall skill at this stage in his development.

It is incorrect to lump his shooting in with other skills. His handle needs a ton of work...his shot is already right there. You'll see his soph season.

I'm a little confused. What are you basing this off of?
Watching him play since his freshman year.

You think a player who attempted 27 3s over 32 games, and hitting under 30% of them, is going to shoot 4+ per game? God, I hope not.

I really appreciate Marillac's passion and conviction but this one is way off. I've seen Sid in person play about 40+ games of travel ball and a handful of high school games and he's never been a deep threat and does most of his work in the paint. I even checked on Synergy today to verify a few things.

13.5% of his scoring attempts were spot up jump shots.

Out of that 13.5%....

42% no dribble
7% dribble
16% runner
30.2% to basket
5% turnover/fouled

The rest of his scoring...

31.7% in transition
16.9% offensive rebounds (put backs)
16% cuts to basket
5% iso
4.4% post up

I rewatched every 3 point attempt he's taken over the past two years and it's really safe to say it's not his game which is fine because he's a very effective scorer going to and around the basket.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #481 on: May 22, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »

Dave, you're right.  Jerami Grant might be perfect comparison.  I thing Wilson has a bit more range at this point, but not quite as strong as Grant.

Stop!!!!

Jerami Grant is a freak show athletically. He is one of the best athletes in the world and that allows him to play in the NBA with less than average skills. Sid is a shooter and dunker like many kids in this era. Grant could never shoot....he didn't make a single shot his soph season. Wilson will be a kid that takes 5 treys a game or more as a soph. Shumpert was a good athlete with the same size as Sid and could really stroke it. I don't think posters understand how big the three point shot is to Sid's game.

Sid is not a shooter nor is the 3 point shot a part of his game. Over 2 seasons of travel ball (32 games) he's shot 8 of 27 from three which is just over 29%. I compared him more to Jeremi Grant because he relies more on his superior athleticism and quickness in the paint than overall skill at this stage in his development.

It is incorrect to lump his shooting in with other skills. His handle needs a ton of work...his shot is already right there. You'll see his soph season.

You think a player who attempted 27 3s over 32 games, and hitting under 30% of them, is going to shoot 4+ per game? God, I hope not.

I really appreciate Marillac's passion and conviction but this one is way off. I've seen Sid in person play about 40+ games of travel ball and a handful of high school games and he's never been a deep threat and does most of his work in the paint. I even checked on Synergy today to verify a few things.

Out of that 13.5%....

42% no dribble
7% dribble
16% runner
30.2% to basket
5% turnover/fouled

31.7% in transition
16% cuts to basket
5% iso
4.4% post up

I rewatched every 3 point attempt he's taken over the past two years and it's really safe to say it's not his game which is fine because he's a very effective scorer going to and around the basket.
I gotta go with Dave on this one. He works in hoops. He's probably around these kids as much as his own family

« Reply #482 on: May 22, 2017, 09:19:18 PM »

Stop!!!!

Out of that 13.5%....

42% no dribble
7% dribble
16% runner
30.2% to basket
5% turnover/fouled

31.7% in transition
16% cuts to basket
5% iso
4.4% post up

can you see him being a stretch 4 ?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:19:35 PM by mjmaherjr »

MCNPA

« Reply #483 on: May 22, 2017, 09:47:07 PM »

Stop!!!!

Out of that 13.5%....

42% no dribble
7% dribble
16% runner
30.2% to basket
5% turnover/fouled

31.7% in transition
16% cuts to basket
5% iso
4.4% post up

Hence why I said he's active on the glass.  He definitely can be a stretch four. If he wants to advance, it will be as a wing and he needs range.  Even one of his coaches had said he's just starting to step outside of being a post-type player to paraphrase.  We should all be thankful he's active on the glass and not yet an outside chucker.  The kid will get a ton of baskets off offensive glass and putbacks.  I think as a soph and beyond you might see him step up his shots to range a bit more.  The Jerian Grant thing was spot-on.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:52:30 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #484 on: May 22, 2017, 10:13:17 PM »

Stop!!!!

Out of that 13.5%....

42% no dribble
7% dribble
16% runner
30.2% to basket
5% turnover/fouled

31.7% in transition
16% cuts to basket
5% iso
4.4% post up

I'm sure he thinks he's a 3. Every coach in America probably told him that too and in the NBA that is what he'd have to be.

He's capable of being a pick and pop forward but needs to really develop better footwork and more consistent release. My concern with Sid is more mental/maturity than physical but there is no doubt he's gonna be a match up problem for teams. He's definitely going to be a good contributor from day 1.

MCNPA

« Reply #485 on: May 22, 2017, 10:23:13 PM »

Stop!!!!

Out of that 13.5%....

42% no dribble
7% dribble
16% runner
30.2% to basket
5% turnover/fouled

31.7% in transition
16% cuts to basket
5% iso
4.4% post up

I'm sure he thinks he's a 3. Every coach in America probably told him that too and in the NBA that is what he'd have to be.

He's capable of being a pick and pop forward but needs to really develop better footwork and more consistent release. My concern with Sid is more mental/maturity than physical but there is no doubt he's gonna be a match up problem for teams. He's definitely going to be a good contributor from day 1.

Kid goes hard at the glass.  We have very few guys that do that.  He's too athletic for most guys to cover him going hard to the glass.  Anything else he develops under Mullin and Richmond will be a big bonus...

Poison

« Reply #486 on: May 22, 2017, 10:23:34 PM »

Stop!!!!

Out of that 13.5%....

42% no dribble
7% dribble
16% runner
30.2% to basket
5% turnover/fouled

31.7% in transition
16% cuts to basket
5% iso
4.4% post up

And it should be just fine with all of us if he puts up 3.5 points and pulls down 2.5 rebounds as a freshman with a senior SF playing ahead of him. The fact that he's headed to campus now certainly leads me to believe that he is serious about getting ready for next year.

« Reply #487 on: May 22, 2017, 10:38:31 PM »

Stop!!!!

Out of that 13.5%....

42% no dribble
7% dribble
16% runner
30.2% to basket
5% turnover/fouled

31.7% in transition
16% cuts to basket
5% iso
4.4% post up

And it should be just fine with all of us if he puts up 3.5 points and pulls down 2.5 rebounds as a freshman with a senior SF playing ahead of him. The fact that he's headed to campus now certainly leads me to believe that he is serious about getting ready for next year.
good point

Marillac

« Reply #488 on: May 23, 2017, 04:09:16 AM »

Stop!!!!

Since when were summer stats relevant?  It's a guard dominated game that is up and down and forwards and centers have to score in transition, off their own rebounds, or hoist shots when they get the chance--many ill advised and often off the bounce. Sid is a very good set shooter, especially considering his size and athletic ability. In fact, his biggest obstacle at the next level may very well be becoming over reliant on the three in the half court instead of mixing it up. He's at his best when he's around the rim and in the lane.  I'd sign right now for him averaging 14 and 6 with only 1-2 three or attempts per game as a soph. As a freshman, I think we'll see him in Polee's old role, so I wouldn't give much weight to his shooting stats.

Marillac

« Reply #489 on: May 23, 2017, 04:10:47 AM »

Stop!!!!

Out of that 13.5%....

42% no dribble
7% dribble
16% runner
30.2% to basket
5% turnover/fouled

31.7% in transition
16% cuts to basket
5% iso
4.4% post up

Travel ball Dave .

« Reply #490 on: May 23, 2017, 07:42:28 AM »

Stop!!!!

Since when were summer stats relevant?  It's a guard dominated game that is up and down and forwards and centers have to score in transition, off their own rebounds, or hoist shots when they get the chance--many ill advised and often off the bounce. Sid is a very good set shooter, especially considering his size and athletic ability. In fact, his biggest obstacle at the next level may very well be becoming over reliant on the three in the half court instead of mixing it up. He's at his best when he's around the rim and in the lane.  I'd sign right now for him averaging 14 and 6 with only 1-2 three or attempts per game as a soph. As a freshman, I think we'll see him in Polee's old role, so I wouldn't give much weight to his shooting stats.

I guess all 30 NBA teams and almost every D1 are wasting their time subscribing to game film and advanced stats from summer travel ball. College coaches must be wasting their time traveling in April and July to watch it too.

He might attempt 1-2 threes a game but there is a good chance he's not making them.

SJU79

« Reply #491 on: May 23, 2017, 09:58:05 AM »
 Dave touched on something briefly but very important. Sid has the skills and athleticism to grow and elevate almost any part of his game that might currently be deficient. Let's hope his early arrival and time spent with some upper classmen helps his maturity level. Good kid but like many young men he needs a little growing time

Marillac

« Reply #492 on: May 23, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »

Stop!!!!

I guess all 30 NBA teams and almost every D1 are wasting their time subscribing to game film and advanced stats from summer travel ball. College coaches must be wasting their time traveling in April and July to watch it too.

He might attempt 1-2 threes a game but there is a good chance he's not making them.

Lol talk about all or nothing. Travel ball is HUGE for other reasons. It's the best way to see how kids compare to the best talents.

Any way, we shall see soon enough so it's not worth debating further. We got a very good player and I'd be ecstatic if he only attempts 1-2 treys as a soph and junior.

Poison

« Reply #494 on: May 23, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »
Dave touched on something briefly but very important. Sid has the skills and athleticism to grow and elevate almost any part of his game that might currently be deficient. Let's hope his early arrival and time spent with some upper classmen helps his maturity level. Good kid but like many young men he needs a little growing time

Totally agree. He'll be a young freshman. Really, just look at him. He's skinnier than Owens.  Hopefully, he can be a versatile burst of energy off the bench.

desco80

« Reply #495 on: May 23, 2017, 04:21:16 PM »
Moe was a young freshman at about the same size and skill-set.  Let's hope Sid blossoms and matures like #4 did.

« Reply #496 on: May 23, 2017, 07:41:58 PM »
Moe and Jakarr weren't three point shooters at all here and made the NBA. Who cares?

« Reply #497 on: May 23, 2017, 08:31:55 PM »
Moe and Jakarr weren't three point shooters at all here and made the NBA. Who cares?

Because Moe got drafted in the 1st round, JaKarr wasn't drafted at all.... Moe just signed a $40mm+ contract and JaKarr is in the D-League?

The difference? Shooting.

Poison

« Reply #498 on: May 23, 2017, 10:02:52 PM »

Because Moe got drafted in the 1st round, JaKarr wasn't drafted at all.... Moe just signed a $40mm+ contract and JaKarr is in the D-League?

The difference? Shooting.

By the end of the season Harkless looked polished. He dropped a ton on Duke, WV etc. Sampson was stopped by the better teams.

« Reply #499 on: May 24, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »

Stop!!!!

Correct.