Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY

• 749 replies
Re: Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #500 on: May 24, 2017, 06:35:49 PM »
Moe and Jakarr weren't three point shooters at all here and made the NBA. Who cares?

Because Moe got drafted in the 1st round, JaKarr wasn't drafted at all.... Moe just signed a $40mm+ contract and JaKarr is in the D-League?

The difference? Shooting.

By the end of the season Harkless looked polished. He dropped a ton on Duke, WV etc. Sampson was stopped by the better teams.

Moe was 17-79 from 3 here. Jakarr was 1-13 in 2 seasons from 3.

Moe got polished in the NBA. Jakarr just didn't have the same abilities. But what I'm saying is Sid doesn't have to worry about making 3's while here. Play your game.

paultzman

« Reply #501 on: May 24, 2017, 07:08:19 PM »
Moe and Jakarr weren't three point shooters at all here and made the NBA. Who cares?

Because Moe got drafted in the 1st round, JaKarr wasn't drafted at all.... Moe just signed a $40mm+ contract and JaKarr is in the D-League?

By the end of the season Harkless looked polished. He dropped a ton on Duke, WV etc. Sampson was stopped by the better teams.

Moe got polished in the NBA. Jakarr just didn't have the same abilities. But what I'm saying is Sid doesn't have to worry about making 3's while here. Play your game.

Wilson's coach at Brewster raves about his speed, athleticism & improved mid range shooting. I'll go with that.

redslope

« Reply #502 on: May 24, 2017, 08:40:42 PM »

I'd rather see Sid stay for 3 years and polish the skills here under Chris and Mitch-wishfully he said.

Marillac

« Reply #503 on: May 25, 2017, 02:45:55 AM »

Moe was a good shooter before he came here. You have to throw freshman shooting stats out the window especially for bigger players. There is so much to learn and adjust to. Moe would have been a killer from three as a soph and especially a junior if he stayed.

LoganK

« Reply #504 on: May 25, 2017, 05:09:33 AM »

Moe was a good shooter before he came here. You have to throw freshman shooting stats out the window especially for bigger players. There is so much to learn and adjust to. Moe would have been a killer from three as a soph and especially a junior if he stayed.
Moe is still not a good shooter (although this past year he wasn't too bad).  He's in the NBA for his defense.

3P% -  .274, .383, .179, .279, .351  (career .315)

The NBA average generally hovers around 35-36%

Marillac

« Reply #505 on: May 25, 2017, 06:30:15 AM »

Moe is still not a good shooter (although this past year he wasn't too bad).  He's in the NBA for his defense.

First, there is a huge difference between the NBA and college.  A team with 2-3 players that can play 20 MPG in the NBA is probably competing for the Final Four if there is any semblance of coaching.

Moe shot 27.4% from three as 19 year old NBA rookie (longer distance than college) and then upped that to 38.3% as a 20 year old second year player.  I think we would have seen the same adjustment at SJU if he stayed for a second year.  That seems to be the norm for second year forwards in college (e.g., Derrick Willams shot 25% from three as a frosh for Zona and then 56.8% as a soph on two attempts per game). Tobias Harris then went to Orlando and ruined Moe's role.  Moe has always been a guy that has been plagued by confidence and aggressiveness issues.  His best days are ahead of him in the NBA.  He shot over 35% this past season from deep on 2.5 attempts. To reduce his career in the NBA to just defense is silly.  Sampson has just as much defensive potential, but only a fraction of Moe's ceiling.

As for Sid, his own coach described him as a great "catch and shoot" player.  In transition or going downhill in a well spaced half court, he's going to be a star.  In the half court against good defensive teams where space is hard to come by he is going to struggle a bit at first, as he tended to default to standing on the left wing waiting for looks while at St. Ray's (I can't speak for Brewster). He's not a guy that you can pound it into inside or a guy that has the handle (yet) to separate off the bounce.  He is going to rely on our guards to set him up as a frosh or go get it off the glass. I hope we see a lot of the latter. 

LoganK

« Reply #506 on: May 25, 2017, 07:32:37 AM »

Moe shot 27.4% from three as 19 year old NBA rookie (longer distance than college) and then upped that to 38.3% as a 20 year old second year player.  I think we would have seen the same adjustment at SJU if he stayed for a second year.  That seems to be the norm for second year forwards in college (e.g., Derrick Willams shot 25% from three as a frosh for Zona and then 56.8% as a soph on two attempts per game). Tobias Harris then went to Orlando and ruined Moe's role.  Moe has always been a guy that has been plagued by confidence and aggressiveness issues.  His best days are ahead of him in the NBA.  He shot over 35% this past season from deep on 2.5 attempts. To reduce his career in the NBA to just defense is silly.  Sampson has just as much defensive potential, but only a fraction of Moe's ceiling.
Yes, he improved to 38% his second year.  He followed that up by shooting 18% and 28%.  He's a career 31% 3pt shooter.  That is below average.  If he was not a good defender, he would not be on a roster.  That is not to say he can't potentially get better offensively, but an NBA team would not have given him 5 years to do it if he wasn't a plus defender.

I haven't seen enough of Sid to know what kind of player he is.  If he can turn into Harkless or Harkless Lite (Can grab some rebounds and disrupt shots and passing lanes while scoring around the basket and hitting the occasional jumper) I'll be more than happy.

Marillac

« Reply #507 on: May 25, 2017, 01:53:25 PM »

Yes, he improved to 38% his second year.  He followed that up by shooting 18% and 28%.  He's a career 31% 3pt shooter.  That is below average.  If he was not a good defender, he would not be on a roster.  That is not to say he can't potentially get better offensively, but an NBA team would not have given him 5 years to do it if he wasn't a plus defender.

I haven't seen enough of Sid to know what kind of player he is.  If he can turn into Harkless or Harkless Lite (Can grab some rebounds and disrupt shots and passing lanes while scoring around the basket and hitting the occasional jumper) I'll be more than happy.

To be clear, I'm not comparing him to Harkless.  I was just defending Moe's shooting ability.  Forwards tend to have a much tougher time from deep as freshmen than guards.  Guards have the ball in their hands more often and forwards have to learn to get their looks within an offense and depend on others to get them the ball in the right spots. If Sid wants to mix it up and stay off the three point line, we all win. I think he will be astonishingly similar to Polee as a frosh.

As for Harkless, I don't think he became a worse shooter after he put up 38.3% in his second year.  I think Tobias Harris disrupted his game and took away his role.  If he missed from deep, he went to the bench.  That spells disaster 99% of the time for any shooter.

« Reply #508 on: May 25, 2017, 01:59:18 PM »

To be clear, I'm not comparing him to Harkless.  I was just defending Moe's shooting ability.  Forwards tend to have a much tougher time from deep as freshmen than guards.  Guards have the ball in their hands more often and forwards have to learn to get their looks within an offense and depend on others to get them the ball in the right spots. If Sid wants to mix it up and stay off the three point line, we all win. I think he will be astonishingly similar to Polee as a frosh.

As for Harkless, I don't think he became a worse shooter after he put up 38.3% in his second year.  I think Tobias Harris disrupted his game and took away his role.  If he missed from deep, he went to the bench.  That spells disaster 99% of the time for any shooter.

OMG blaming Tobias Harris for years of Mo's poor 3 point shooting. Hey we can use Tobias as a scapegoat on all the ills of the world if we can blame him for Mo's shooting. Let's start with global warming.  :idiot2: :uglystupid2: :2funny:

Marillac

« Reply #509 on: May 25, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »

OMG blaming Tobias Harris for years of Mo's poor 3 point shooting. Hey we can use Tobias as a scapegoat on all the ills of the world if we can blame him for Mo's shooting. Let's start with global warming.  :idiot2: :uglystupid2: :2funny:

Moe's shooting %s correlate almost exactly to his minutes.  You don't think someone can be affected by a reduced role? That's ridiculous. 

26 MPG - 27.4% (Rookie Year)
24 MPG - 38.3%
15 MPG - 17.9%
18.7 MPG - 27.9% (First year with Blazers)
28.9 MPG - 35.1%

His overall FG% follow suit as well and even his FT %.  Confidence is a huge part of the game and who can be confident playing 15 MPG knowing they are going to get pulled after every miss?  I've seen that ruin some really good shooters careers. 

Poison

« Reply #510 on: May 25, 2017, 05:03:32 PM »
I'd like to see Ahmed show off more of a post up game this year. He's got to be more like a DJ Kennedy for us and play all inside and out. Hopefully Wilson can follow suit, but seriously, how has this kid not realized that he needs to get to a gym and put on some muscle?

Johnny23

« Reply #511 on: May 25, 2017, 05:27:51 PM »
I'd like to see Ahmed show off more of a post up game this year. He's got to be more like a DJ Kennedy for us and play all inside and out. Hopefully Wilson can follow suit, but seriously, how has this kid not realized that he needs to get to a gym and put on some muscle?

I think the biggest thing for Ahmed is playing under control consistently. The skills are all there for him if he can learn how to play with  pace.

Poison

« Reply #512 on: May 25, 2017, 10:25:44 PM »

I think the biggest thing for Ahmed is playing under control consistently. The skills are all there for him if he can learn how to play with  pace.

Well yes, he was a mess fairly often last year, but last year was his first year, and for a first year player, he was very good. Seniors have a way of putting it all together. He's clearly talented. I think this team dances if he's ready for his senior year.

Johnny23

« Reply #513 on: May 26, 2017, 08:21:53 AM »

Well yes, he was a mess fairly often last year, but last year was his first year, and for a first year player, he was very good. Seniors have a way of putting it all together. He's clearly talented. I think this team dances if he's ready for his senior year.

Agreed.

SJUFAN

« Reply #514 on: May 26, 2017, 01:33:09 PM »

Agreed.

Unless we find someone to rebound the ball we're not dancing.

Tha Kid

« Reply #515 on: May 26, 2017, 02:42:08 PM »

Agreed.

Unless we find someone to rebound the ball we're not dancing.

The Celtics dont rebound and lost in the ECF.  If you are good enough at other things, you can make the tourney without rebounding.  You just wont make it more than a few rounds.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #516 on: May 27, 2017, 12:40:14 AM »

I think his out of control play is a product of playing 2 years in a shit juco league. He's only had one season of real basketball. As a senior, I think our season hinges on how much he's matured. Putting his name in the NBA draft only to be evaluated should tell us that he does care about getting better, and he's got a good head on his shoulders.

« Reply #517 on: May 27, 2017, 06:52:41 AM »

I think his out of control play is a product of playing 2 years in a shit juco league. He's only had one season of real basketball. As a senior, I think our season hinges on how much he's matured. Putting his name in the NBA draft only to be evaluated should tell us that he does care about getting better, and he's got a good head on his shoulders.

Ahmed recently posted a few Instagram videos (@bash_ahmed1) of himself working out in the gym. He was doing a lot of off the dribble stuff, attacking the basket, and ball handling. He clearly is showing a commitment to improving his game. His senior year should be fun assuming he ties it all together.

« Reply #518 on: May 27, 2017, 06:57:59 AM »

Ahmed recently posted a few Instagram videos (@bash_ahmed1) of himself working out in the gym. He was doing a lot of off the dribble stuff, attacking the basket, and ball handling. He clearly is showing a commitment to improving his game. His senior year should be fun assuming he ties it all together.

Link to workout video--
https://instagram.com/p/BUkcSpHAIX2/

« Reply #519 on: May 27, 2017, 08:40:35 AM »
Says it's a "throwback" video.  May not be new. Likely from last year when Amar had that awful dyed blonde hair