Game 20: DePaul at CA

• 74 replies
Re: Game 20: DePaul at CA
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2017, 07:12:56 PM »
LoVett turned the ball over, he sat.  Ahmed took a bad shot, he sat.  No Amir,  Mullin's best game of the year.

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2017, 07:16:14 PM »
LoVett turned the ball over, he sat.  Ahmed took a bad shot, he sat.  No Amir,  Mullin's best game of the year.

Loved that Amar sat after his two minute shit fest Saturday. The rotation that we saw today should be the rotation for the rest of the season barring horrible foul trouble. 

desco80

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »

Loved that Amar sat after his two minute shit fest Saturday. The rotation that we saw today should be the rotation for the rest of the season barring horrible foul trouble. 

I think that's the key.  Owens only had 1 foul.  Ahmed only with 1, same for Ponds.  If they stay out of foul trouble I think Mullin would stick with the shorter rotation.

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2017, 07:25:29 PM »
SJU -9.5

If you aren't heading to the game enjoy the marathon!

Those handicappers impress sometimes.

desco80

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2017, 07:27:34 PM »
Raf and Johnson talking about SJU during this nova v Seton hall game.

Gus is impressed.  Thinks we're learning to win.

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2017, 07:34:06 PM »
Raf and Johnson talking about SJU during this nova v Seton hall game.

Gus is impressed.  Thinks we're learning to win.

Just heard that. Awesome

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2017, 07:58:22 PM »
Owens isn't perfect.  But he plays hard and has more offensive skill than we give him credit for. 

I expect he will be one of the better big men in the conference by Sr year.    Like a second team all conference player maybe. 

Think he can be for us what Jefferson became for duke. Very hardworking guyr who turns himself into a productive player.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2017, 07:59:54 PM »
Didn't think I'd see a game this year where we win comfortably (and to me the issue wasn't in doubt at any point) with Ponds having an off shooting night and Lovett hardly scoring at all.  I thought both did a nice job setting up their teammates, even if the ultimate assist totals don't show it for various reasons.

18 assists is very good
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

redslope

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2017, 09:56:10 PM »
Marcus was not up to par tonight--whenever he was out of Game he was on the stationary bike.  Offense passed much better/quicker when he was out.  Rico had his best game in a while.  Great to see Felipe honored.  He Joined the team for the post game circle at center and the team was enthusiastic to have him.

Spoke with Felipe after the game and he is a joy to be with. 

PS--have you folks picked up on Marcus and his sneakers?  Something different in College Ball.  I'll give the answer tomorrow if no one has picked it up.

Poison

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2017, 10:10:08 PM »
If I were a coach or teammate of Owens and Yakwe i would carry a ball around 24/7 and whenever i saw them I would throw it at their head. Eventually theyd be able to catch the damn ball.

Hands of stone

Owens catches the ball when it's thrown high. Anything below eye level, and it's hit or miss. The guy played great today. Can't pick on a turnover, or two. His arms were flying all over the place on defense, and today, he did it without fouling. He's come a long way from the first few games where he was in foul trouble almost instantly.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:43:12 AM by Poison »

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2017, 10:15:13 PM »
If I were a coach or teammate of Owens and Yakwe i would carry a ball around 24/7 and whenever i saw them I would throw it at their head. Eventually theyd be able to catch the damn ball.

Hands of stone

Owens catches the ball when it's thrown high. Anything below eye level, and it's hit or miss. The guy great played today. Can't pick on a turnover, or two. His arms were flying all over the place on defense, and today, he did it without fouling. He's come a long way from the first few games where he was in foul trouble almost instantly.

Also he did a much better job on closing out today. Stayed on his feet and was under control. I'm sure this was emphasized by staff.

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2017, 10:21:59 PM »
DePaul is terrible, but sju moved the ball well and got good looks -- especially from three. Very efficient from 3 -- would have been a bigger win if Ahmed could finish around the basket or they could consistently go down low yakwe. Defense is hard to judge against DePaul, they are just so unorganized and their bigs are even worse around the basket.

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2017, 12:15:24 AM »
Our three point shooting was the difference in the game.  55% from 3 is ridiculous.

We did to Depaul exactly what Nova did to us last game in winning with Jenkins and Hart having subpar outings as we won with Ponds and especially Love it not giving much.

TO played very well and it was nice to see the old barn packed once again.

Very subpar food at the Taffner pre-game event.  Much, much better cuisine last year.

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2017, 12:33:38 AM »
Marcus was not up to par tonight--whenever he was out of Game he was on the stationary bike.  Offense passed much better/quicker when he was out.  Rico had his best game in a while.  Great to see Felipe honored.  He Joined the team for the post game circle at center and the team was enthusiastic to have him.

Spoke with Felipe after the game and he is a joy to be with. 

PS--have you folks picked up on Marcus and his sneakers?  Something different in College Ball.  I'll give the answer tomorrow if no one has picked it up.

He changes them at halftime.

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2017, 02:43:02 AM »
Odd occurrence with 4 and change left to play in the second half.

Garrett is dribbling the ball and elbows the defender Ponds in the head. The ref with the curved leg calls the foul and they go to the monitor to check for a flagrant foul due to the head contact.

After reviewing the play,  It's announced that it's now a foul on Ponds.  Booing ensues and all 3 refs come together I assume to discuss that you can only go to the monitor to determine flagrant or common foul and that you can't just reverse the original call and give one to the opposing team.  After their meeting,  Depaul gets to inbound the ball and I assume again that no foul is being assessed to either team and that they are ruling inadvertent whistle and Depaul is getting the ball at the point of interruption. 

Less than a minute later, Garrett is fouled not in the act of shooting yet is sent to the line to shoot a one and one even though it's only the 6th foul of the half on the Johnnies.

You see new stuff every day in this wacky game.

LoganK

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2017, 07:00:35 AM »
Stop with the 3s
We are 48th in the country in 3P% at 38.4% and 263rd in 2P% at 46.6%....
It would seem shooting more 3s is the answer, not less.

Poison

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2017, 07:41:36 AM »
Our three point shooting was the difference in the game.  55% from 3 is ridiculous.

We did to Depaul exactly what Nova did to us last game in winning with Jenkins and Hart having subpar outings as we won with Ponds and especially Love it not giving much.

TO played very well and it was nice to see the old barn packed once again.

Very subpar food at the Taffner pre-game event.  Much, much better cuisine last year.

Ponds was strong in the second half, but the difference here is that DePaul doesn't play any defense. They are the softest team we've played so far. It's a shame that we don't get to play them again.

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
Odd occurrence with 4 and change left to play in the second half.

Garrett is dribbling the ball and elbows the defender Ponds in the head. The ref with the curved leg calls the foul and they go to the monitor to check for a flagrant foul due to the head contact.

After reviewing the play,  It's announced that it's now a foul on Ponds.  Booing ensues and all 3 refs come together I assume to discuss that you can only go to the monitor to determine flagrant or common foul and that you can't just reverse the original call and give one to the opposing team.  After their meeting,  Depaul gets to inbound the ball and I assume again that no foul is being assessed to either team and that they are ruling inadvertent whistle and Depaul is getting the ball at the point of interruption. 

Less than a minute later, Garrett is fouled not in the act of shooting yet is sent to the line to shoot a one and one even though it's only the 6th foul of the half on the Johnnies.

You see new stuff every day in this wacky game.

On redmen, I called for the suspension of all three refs, for that craziness.

It wasn't like they missed a call.  These were rules violations, plain and simple.