16/17 superlatives

• 33 replies
Re: 16/17 superlatives
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 10:09:01 AM »
I expect Ellison to be our most improved player.  Last year he showed he could get to the rim.  Think this season he's able to finish once there.

Mussini shoots 40% or better from 3, all catch and shoot.  If spotted correctly, will be more effective in reduced minutes.

Agreed on both players.

People seem to be down on Sima. IMO, even though I think Yakwe can play the center in college, Sima is our only legitimate center.  Aside from that, hes already shown enough to place him in the top 5 centers to play at sju this millennium. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an increase in  every number of his this season.

I like Sima. Needs to stay healthy. Has a lot of work to do. Footwork, low post moves, touch around the basket. He flings the ball at the basket.

He looks uncoordinated. He can still be a useful part of the team but not if trying to do too much. We don't need him back his backing man down for 15 seconds and then, like you said just flinging the ball at the rim. He can take 2-3 shots per game and spend his time worrying about boxing out/rebounding and setting screens - which he does.

Not every center should be asked to score the ball. His focus should be everything but offense.

If you think he is uncoordinated then I think you need to rethink what your expectations are in terms of cordination for a college center.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

QuanMan

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »
Best scorer-Bash

Runner Up-Marcus

Best rebounder-Yak

Runner Up-Sima, Rich, Bash

Best passer-Shamorie

Runner Up-Malik, Marcus

Best perimeter defender-Yak

Runner Up-Rich, Bash, Shamorie Marcus-*Our Greatest Strength*

Best shooter-Rich

Runner Up-Shamorie, Moose

Most likely to score 30 in a game -Bash

Runner Up-Marcus,Shamorie 

Most likely to have 5* steals in a game-Marcus, Shamorie

Runner Up-Malik

Most likely to get minutes squeezed -Moose by a landslide

Runner Up-Darien

Most likely to be the scapegoat for a poor season - Mullin in transition jargon.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 11:31:23 AM »
Is Darien Williams expected to play this season? Does anyone know what his story is now?

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 10:24:20 PM »
Is Darien Williams expected to play this season? Does anyone know what his story is now?

Zero inside knowledge here, but as it seems he's "expected to play" but I'm not sure he's really going to be expected to be an asset after all the injuries.  I wouldn't be surprised with SJU giving him these two years to see how it shakes out, but likely we have his scholarship after this season IMHO.  Just seems likely, unless he totally surprises and is healthy and top form.  I just don't expect it.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 09:24:09 AM »

Zero inside knowledge here, but as it seems he's "expected to play" but I'm not sure he's really going to be expected to be an asset after all the injuries.  I wouldn't be surprised with SJU giving him these two years to see how it shakes out, but likely we have his scholarship after this season IMHO.  Just seems likely, unless he totally surprises and is healthy and top form.  I just don't expect it.

Thanks. I know that I've said that I'd like him gone and I'm sure that a lot of fans feel that way, but when you sign a recruit, you roll the dice. He hasn't hurt anyone except himself as far as we know, so as long as he's doing what's asked of him, he should be allowed to stay even if it means an opportunity for another player is lost. The best thing the university did under Norm Roberts was keep Rob Thomas in the program after he was no longer able to play. These are people. Not a commodity.

paultzman

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 09:58:50 AM »

He'll be gone after this year.

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 10:13:43 AM »

He'll be gone after this year.
Could be with a degree

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »

Best scorer
-Yakwe

Best rebounder
- Yakwe

Baldi whats your prediction for Yak's numbers
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »

Best scorer
-Yakwe

Best rebounder
- Yakwe

Baldi whats your prediction for Yak's numbers

14 and 8

Foad

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »
14 and 8

Love me some Yawke. Those numbers would put him on par with the greatest players in SJU history

Ron Artest 14/6 (so)
George Johnson 14/10 (so)
David Russell 14/8 (so)
Billy Schaeffer 14 / 6 (so)

Glen Williams 14/4 (jr)
Jayson Williams 14/8 (jr)
Leroy Ellis 16 /10 (jr)
Walter Berry 17/8 (jr)

Poison

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2016, 05:44:32 PM »
14 and 8

Love me some Yawke. Those numbers would put him on par with the greatest players in SJU history

Ron Artest 14/6 (so)
David Russell 14/8 (so)

Glen Williams 14/4 (jr)
Leroy Ellis 16 /10 (jr)
Walter Berry 17/8 (jr)

He's the one guy we've heard nothing about this summer.

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2016, 06:01:38 PM »
14 and 8

Ron Artest 14/6 (so)
David Russell 14/8 (so)

Glen Williams 14/4 (jr)
Leroy Ellis 16 /10 (jr)
Walter Berry 17/8 (jr)

Long, athletic and can run the floor. Has the tools and now has a point guard. I expect him to be all big east

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 09:29:53 PM »
Might be a year away from where you want him.  Agree that Lovett is key.  If he comes anywhere close to your projection, and plays great D, I'll sign up for that season as a soph in a second.

MCNPA

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 08:44:29 PM »
14 and 8

Ron Artest 14/6 (so)
David Russell 14/8 (so)

Glen Williams 14/4 (jr)
Leroy Ellis 16 /10 (jr)
Walter Berry 17/8 (jr)

Long, athletic and can run the floor. Has the tools and now has a point guard. I expect him to be all big east

Agree with Baldi here.  He's an amazing athlete with amazing motor.  He's also
Skilled defensively and shot blocking.  His offense was coming along and he didn't have an entire season under him.  Yakwe is gonna be a demon.  Nobody going to want to play against him.  As pointed out, we also now have a much more talented backcourt.  Love Yakwe.. Hig things ahead for him.