Jordan Brown, PF, Roseville, CA

• 243 replies
Re: Jordan Brown, PF, Roseville, CA
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2017, 11:12:46 PM »
https://247sports.com/Article/Jordan-Brown-No-14-looking-to-set-up-more-official-visits-111775781

“We’ve only taken two visits so far,” he said. “St. John’s and then we went to UCLA. Both visits were nice and we had a good time. You’re looking at one extreme to the other, from New York out to LA. We enjoyed both visits. We are just going from there.”

The elder Brown was particularly impressed with what Chris Mullin and his staff had to offer.

“Chris Mullin, man he was great,” he said. “The one thing I took from it was I can understand why the players like him. He’s a teacher. He made us feel real comfortable. You can see the knowledge. If we went that route, I know Jordan would be in good hands.”

“We want to do some more visits,” Dion Brown, Jordan’s father, said. “Gonzaga and Oregon, but right now we are trying to figure out how to fit them in.”

“We want to see them,” he added. “We want to check Gonzaga out. We want to see Oregon. Then there’s my old college, Louisiana-Lafayette. Three weeks ago they inducted me into the Hall of Fame.”

MCNPA

« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2017, 11:44:03 PM »
https://247sports.com/Article/Jordan-Brown-No-14-looking-to-set-up-more-official-visits-111775781

“We’ve only taken two visits so far,” he said. “St. John’s and then we went to UCLA. Both visits were nice and we had a good time. You’re looking at one extreme to the other, from New York out to LA. We enjoyed both visits. We are just going from there.”

The elder Brown was particularly impressed with what Chris Mullin and his staff had to offer.

“Chris Mullin, man he was great,” he said. “The one thing I took from it was I can understand why the players like him. He’s a teacher. He made us feel real comfortable. You can see the knowledge. If we went that route, I know Jordan would be in good hands.”

“We want to do some more visits,” Dion Brown, Jordan’s father, said. “Gonzaga and Oregon, but right now we are trying to figure out how to fit them in.”

“We want to see them,” he added. “We want to check Gonzaga out. We want to see Oregon. Then there’s my old college, Louisiana-Lafayette. Three weeks ago they inducted me into the Hall of Fame.”

That's some really encouraging words from his father.  You can tell he loves Mullin.  Makes me think we aren't out of this and it's at most a 4 horse race...    Can see his father is running this ship.  Slightly optimistic fingers crossed...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:46:36 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2017, 07:05:56 AM »
That's positive....and clearly he cares and looking out for son but sadly  another example of father living through son. Everything is "we",  not the kid.

Also funny how coincidental his alma mater is inducting him into their HOF, when trying to secure visit.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dion-brown-2.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:13:07 AM by RedStormNC »

derk

« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2017, 11:56:40 AM »

That's some really encouraging words from his father.  You can tell he loves Mullin.  Makes me think we aren't out of this and it's at most a 4 horse race...    Can see his father is running this ship.  Slightly optimistic fingers crossed...

I felt very comfortable right up until he uttered that last sentence.

goredmen

« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »
Would imagine the staff is putting this west coast trip to good use and is seeing Brown and Brooks before they come back east

« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2017, 12:33:44 PM »
It's only a 6 hour drive from his prep school and home town to Staples, assuming no fires in the way.

Johnny23

« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2017, 01:18:39 PM »
Again, this kid is the longest of long shots. Nice comments from his Dad but I think we'd need to show marked improvement (tourney bid) for him to truly consider us. The good thing is his camp has always said that no decision will come until the late period.

MCNPA

« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
Again, this kid is the longest of long shots. Nice comments from his Dad but I think we'd need to show marked improvement (tourney bid) for him to truly consider us. The good thing is his camp has always said that no decision will come until the late period.

You have inside info that he's the longest of long shots?   His list is definitely west coast heavy.  The other schools he's considering aren't any better than we are, except for Gonzaga... 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:48:33 PM by MCNPA »

Johnny23

« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2017, 02:35:02 PM »

You have inside info that he's the longest of long shots?   His list is definitely west coast heavy.  The other schools he's considering aren't any better than we are, except for Gonzaga...

Oregon and UCLA aren't better programs than we are currently? Dude, give me some of what you're smoking. He could be part of a dream team recruiting class that Oregon has for next year and UCLA speaks for itself, so yeah they are both better programs than we are in our current state. No shame in that as they are both Top 20 programs IMO. Add to that he's in the middle of Pac 12 and Gonzaga country, all reasons why I think he's a long shot. I hope I'm wrong.

« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2017, 05:20:55 PM »

Oregon and UCLA aren't better programs than we are currently? Dude, give me some of what you're smoking. He could be part of a dream team recruiting class that Oregon has for next year and UCLA speaks for itself, so yeah they are both better programs than we are in our current state. No shame in that as they are both Top 20 programs IMO. Add to that he's in the middle of Pac 12 and Gonzaga country, all reasons why I think he's a long shot. I hope I'm wrong.
But if you are ranking the programs in terms of all-time college basketball schools you have to admit we rank ahead of UCLA and their what 11 National Championships?  ::)

MCNPA

« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »
This has nothing to do with all-time stats.  Currently they aren’t better than us THIS season, which is why I’m not sure that matters.   There is no substantive info that we need to show “marked improvement” to land him.  I was questioning whether this was real info from Brown’s Camp, but now realize merely speculation.  I definitely see mostly west coast schools there so if it’s a regional  thing I get it. 

Johnny23

« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »

But if you are ranking the programs in terms of all-time college basketball schools you have to admit we rank ahead of UCLA and their what 11 National Championships?  ::)

1 and 1A  8)

paultzman

« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2017, 05:46:04 PM »

Clevis Murray
@ClevisMurray

I'm told Oregon will be in to watch Jordan Brown '18 of Prolific Prep (CA) and Uziel Muteba '19 of Lincoln Academy (GA) this weekend.

« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2017, 06:28:12 PM »
This has nothing to do with all-time stats.  Currently they aren’t better than us THIS season, which is why I’m not sure that matters.   There is no substantive info that we need to show “marked improvement” to land him.  I was questioning whether this was real info from Brown’s Camp, but now realize merely speculation.  I definitely see mostly west coast schools there so if it’s a regional  thing I get it.

Exactly, it's kind of like the year Harvard didn't have any Pulitzer or Nobel prize winners.  Put them on an equal footing with Cal St Northridge that year. 

MCNPA

« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2017, 06:52:23 PM »

Exactly, it's kind of like the year Harvard didn't have any Pulitzer or Nobel prize winners.  Put them on an equal footing with Cal St Northridge that year. 

The blue bloods will always be just that.  Still don’t think it’s contingent on us landing Brown..  we will never be able to compete money-wise with Nike U, and don’t tell me they aren’t getting kids money somehow. The program is run by a shoe company.

paultzman

« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2017, 07:03:06 PM »

The blue bloods will always be just that.  Still don’t think it’s contingent on us landing Brown..  we will never be able to compete money-wise with Nike U, and don’t tell me they aren’t getting kids money somehow. The program is run by a shoe company.

Oregon is a sewer & Altman a player as article shows in my opinion.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/12/07/dana-altman-oregon-kavell-bigby-williams-investigation

In any event extremely doubtful we get Brown from what I hear fwiw.

« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2017, 12:59:40 PM »
So with J'Raan on board I guess we aren't in the mix for Brown anymore?

paultzman

« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2017, 01:07:04 PM »

Correct, always a long shot anyway.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:09:08 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2018, 09:40:11 PM »

Correct, always a long shot anyway.
Paultz are you certain we're no long pursuing jb? I was reading an interview from the 12th where his father mentioned their list was still the seven schools originally mentioned. Also,  if we are in fact not putting any resources into his recruitment can someone explain the reasoning why?  I don't see any reason to not at least attempt to stay in the mix for an elite talent who's listed us in his final 7 schools. Considering how rapidly circumstances in the recruiting world can change I've always found the notion of "being done" in a given recruiting cycle laughable.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:42:11 PM by colelatshaw2010 »