Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL

• 369 replies

paultzman

Re: Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2016, 11:19:54 AM »
I could be mistaken but Werdann was in my class and I think it was only his senior year that he missed  a lot of time. If anything he just never put up big scoring numbers. Maybe averaging low double digits and didnt progress that much maybe but I think year 1-3 he had steady rebound numbers ( maybe 7  a game ). I don't remember the scoring numbers but I think it was double digits but that was a lot of beers ago so I'm foggy on that

My recollection is that there was always something wrong with him. This was sprained, that was bruised, the other thing was aggravated. His calf was an issue for almost two years.

Very soft player. Yeah that calf is probably still causing him pain.

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2016, 11:46:07 AM »
I could be mistaken but Werdann was in my class and I think it was only his senior year that he missed  a lot of time. If anything he just never put up big scoring numbers. Maybe averaging low double digits and didnt progress that much maybe but I think year 1-3 he had steady rebound numbers ( maybe 7  a game ). I don't remember the scoring numbers but I think it was double digits but that was a lot of beers ago so I'm foggy on that

My recollection is that there was always something wrong with him. This was sprained, that was bruised, the other thing was aggravated. His calf was an issue for almost two years.
I definitely remember the calf thing. Don't remember which year it was but remember something with it

I have a friend who when we play softball he always looks like he is hurt playing even when he's perfectly healthy. Kind of reminds me of werdann. In school we always thought he would end up putting up great scoring numbers down the road. We had Malik who carried us but we thought we were going to get nice numbers from him. He was solid but never great

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2016, 09:02:25 PM »
After some off the court issues and inconsistent play, Zach Brown, a 7-foot prospect out of Miami, fell from Scout’s top 100. But it appears he’s more than earned his way back in when the player rankings are updated post-July. Brown was aggressive at camp and used his size and length to his advantage in the post. Brown was active on the glass, especially on the offensive end, and did a good job of fighting for good position, sealing off defenders and finishing with powerful dunks in the paint.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1690393-nike-skils-duval-shines-plus-top-performers

ras

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
My gut tells me he will get his act together and be a good one for us. A real bona fide center w offense

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2016, 12:28:55 PM »
#36 in new ESPN rankings

paultzman

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »
Per Braziller
St John's commit Zach Brown is attending Elevation Academy in Sarasota, Fla., where he took classes over the summer, I'm told. #sjubb

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2016, 11:54:46 AM »
St. John's Chris Mullin and @mabde33
are also going to Florida Saturday to see 2017 pledge Zach Brown at Elevation Academy in Sarasota

paultzman

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2016, 12:07:13 PM »
Per Zach B
St. John's will check in on 2017 commit Zach Brown today. Told he is expected to sign during early period in November. #sjubb

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2016, 12:46:51 PM »
Interesting that the frequent "check ins" on this kid are part of what feels like a public campaign to assure us that appropriate diligence is being done by the staff.  I'm all for transparency, but I wonder if this perpetrates the perception that ZB is risky.

Wods317

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2016, 01:17:49 PM »
Interesting that the frequent "check ins" on this kid are part of what feels like a public campaign to assure us that appropriate diligence is being done by the staff.  I'm all for transparency, but I wonder if this perpetrates the perception that ZB is risky.

That or it could be that skilled big men are extremely hard to find and this guy was being recruited by the blue bloods before his legal troubles and they want to make sure they keep him a priority to make sure those others schools don't come sniffing around. A verbal is nice but it is not cemented until he signs.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:18:06 PM by Wods317 »

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2016, 02:45:25 PM »

That or it could be that skilled big men are extremely hard to find and this guy was being recruited by the blue bloods before his legal troubles and they want to make sure they keep him a priority to make sure those others schools don't come sniffing around. A verbal is nice but it is not cemented until he signs.

Yeah, I'm down with this. This guy could really be the real deal, don't let him think of going elsewhere.

MCNPA

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2016, 09:34:04 AM »
I think it's just us showing our commitment to him as well.  The kid is monstrous, and as others have said, bigs like him don't grow on trees.  It seems he's past his legal troubles hopefully, /!: getting him to sign early with us would be a big coup.  Now isn't the time to back off before he actually signs.

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2016, 09:44:33 AM »
Everyone likes to be shown the love.  I'm sure Zach is no different.  I'm glad our guys are on top of him.

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2016, 08:26:26 AM »
Best to babysit all recruits until they sign and even after. If they aren't doing it then someone else will.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2016, 10:07:17 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille 3m
St. John's commit Zach Brown has transferred to Calusa Prep in Miami, source confirms.#sjubb

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2016, 10:13:06 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille 3m
St. John's commit Zach Brown has transferred to Calusa Prep in Miami, source confirms.#sjubb

At the end of October?

paultzman

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2016, 10:22:16 AM »
Per Zach B
Told Zach Brown transfer was to be closer to ongoing court case in Miami. #sjubb

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2016, 10:54:08 AM »
Hope I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if this guy ever made it to campus

MCNPA

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2016, 11:14:05 AM »
Hope I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if this guy ever made it to campus

I'd be more concerned if it were because of academics.  We know he's still settling his legal issues and plans to sign next month.  As long as he's in good academic standing, and it seems his legal issues are getting sorted out, I'm cautiously optimistic.   As SJU fans we don't know how to be optimistic about much because we get burned, but oddly I think this one might work out as long as legal issues get cleared up.