Re: Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2016, 12:11:54 PM »
Well worth the risk.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 12:12:22 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2016, 01:10:18 PM »
From Zags blog
Zach Brown, the 7-foot-1 big man who has verbally committed to St. John’s for 2017, has transferred schools and is expected to sign his Letter of Intent in November during the early signing period.

Brown is now at Miami (FL) Calusa Prep School after he was previously enrolled at Sarasota (FL) Elevation Prep Academy since the last week of June.

Sources said Brown was advised to be in the Miami area to best help himself get exonerated from the charges against him and to do his community service. Brown was arrested in Miami in May on multiple robbery charges, several of which were eventually dropped. He committed to St. John’s in July after initially pledging to UConn.

“Zach will play with the Championship Academy Program that Calusa Prep is partners with,” said Derrick DeLaGrana, the head coach at Calusa Prep. “What he brings to our team instantly is someone that can control the paint on both sides of the floor. His length and athleticism will allow us to be a great defensive team and on the offensive side be our main option…With his high IQ he will open up opportunities for the rest of our guys.”

DeLaGrana said the school has two teams and that Brown will be playing with both the Calusa Prep team and the Championship Academy Program.Brown is expected to sign a Letter of Intent during the NCAA early signing period Nov. 9-16. “Yes, in November,” DeLaGrana said.

Brown could face eligibility issues going forward given the fact that he’s attended multiple schools, but sources said St. John’s is confident he can become eligible if he continues to work toward his goals.

Follow Adam Zagoria on Twitter
And like ZAGS on Facebook
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:11:42 PM by paultzman »

SJU79

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2016, 01:30:19 PM »
My understanding of his situation both legally and academically is they are confident of the plan thats in place(in GREAT detail)  which will put him in uniform next season. They like the kid, wanna help this kid but stating the obvious its ultimately up to him

DFF6

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2016, 01:31:41 PM »
From Zags blog
Zach Brown, the 7-foot-1 big man who has verbally committed to St. John’s for 2017, has transferred schools and is expected to sign his Letter of Intent in November during the early signing period.

Brown is now at Miami (FL) Calusa Prep School after he was previously enrolled at Sarasota (FL) Elevation Prep Academy since the last week of June.

Sources said Brown was advised to be in the Miami area to best help himself get exonerated from the charges against him and to do his community service. Brown was arrested in Miami in May on multiple robbery charges, several of which were eventually dropped. He committed to St. John’s in July after initially pledging to UConn.

“Zach will play with the Championship Academy Program that Calusa Prep is partners with,” said Derrick DeLaGrana, the head coach at Calusa Prep. “What he brings to our team instantly is someone that can control the paint on both sides of the floor. His length and athleticism will allow us to be a great defensive team and on the offensive side be our main option…With his high IQ he will open up opportunities for the rest of our guys.”

DeLaGrana said the school has two teams and that Brown will be playing with both the Calusa Prep team and the Championship Academy Program.Brown is expected to sign a Letter of Intent during the NCAA early signing period Nov. 9-16. “Yes, in November,” DeLaGrana said.

Brown could face eligibility issues going forward given the fact that he’s attended multiple schools, but sources said St. JOHNS IS CONFIDENT HE CAN BECOME ELIGIBLE IF HE CONTINUES TO WORK TOWARD HIS GOALS.

Follow Adam Zagoria on Twitter
And like ZAGS on Facebook

Whenever you read St. John's is confident a recruit can overcome eligibility issues, be afraid, be very afraid.

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2016, 01:33:57 PM »
Paultz assume you feel that way even if it meant that we don't get a kid like French who many here like and who it seems we had a very good shot with before Brown?  From what I've heard, the upside for Brown plus view that everything will be sorted out fine outweighs passing on him and taking a kid like French, even though the staff liked him too (though not nearly on Brown's level)

Well worth the risk.

SJUFAN

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2016, 01:52:28 PM »
Paultz assume you feel that way even if it meant that we don't get a kid like French who many here like and who it seems we had a very good shot with before Brown?  From what I've heard, the upside for Brown plus view that everything will be sorted out fine outweighs passing on him and taking a kid like French, even though the staff liked him too (though not nearly on Brown's level)

Well worth the risk.

I would take the opinion of many on this site, with respect to their ability to assess talent, with a grain of salt. Many were touting Sima better than Obekpa. I hope we see how ridiculous that is. We can find players like French, players like Brown, not so easy. 

paultzman

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2016, 01:53:45 PM »

Well worth the risk.

Exactly & realize French was not a lock for SJU. To me, you're playing with house money re Brown. It is not like passing on another 4 star true big man.

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2016, 02:09:30 PM »

Well worth the risk.

I would take the opinion of many on this site, with respect to their ability to assess talent, with a grain of salt. Many were touting Sima better than Obekpa. I hope we see how ridiculous that is. We can find players like French, players like Brown, not so easy. 

Why is that ridiculous? Their stats are pretty similar, minus blocks, and even then, aside from Obekpa's freshman year he isn't far off. Sima brings some semblance of an offensive game with him and seems like someone who is willing to sacrifice his own stats in a team effort, unlike Obekpa.

I think Obekpa was done dirty by poor coaching and and lack of discipline, but aside from some exciting blocks, didn't really do much here.
Sorry to derail.

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2016, 04:07:21 PM »
Different year...same old story.

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2016, 06:14:23 PM »
How many schools has Brown been enrolled in?

MCNPA

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2016, 06:50:37 PM »
I think sima is better than Obekpa already.  He was injured as well for quite a bit.  Obekpa's offense was abysmal. Sims had a solid freshman year for a young big guy, who also played injured.

Foad

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2016, 08:51:35 PM »
I think sima is better than Obekpa already.  He was injured as well for quite a bit.  Obekpa's offense was abysmal. Sims had a solid freshman year for a young big guy, who also played injured.

Also he's not a sociopath

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2016, 11:49:50 PM »

Also he's not a sociopath

Sima can probaby beat some ass in the shower

Poison

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2016, 12:02:41 AM »
Can Sima handle the Fordham front court? Because last year he couldn't. It would be great if he's a better than Obekpa when it's all said and done, but he's not there yet. Obekpa had a rare skill, and Sima doesn't excel like that at anything. But let's see what he's ready to do in two weeks.

Johnny23

« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2016, 09:10:46 AM »
I want to see how much stronger Sima got this offseason. Interested to see how he controls the paint, blocks out, and rebounds. Also want to see him be a little more selfish offensively.

« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2016, 09:19:23 AM »
Sima was second in the league in blocks as a freshman and he was hurt for part of the year. What more did you expect?

Johnny23

« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2016, 09:25:29 AM »
Sima was second in the league in blocks as a freshman and he was hurt for part of the year. What more did you expect?

Like I said, he needed to get stronger in the off season to handle all the banging in the league and impose his will down low. Blocks are only one small part of the equation. His rebounding needs to get up to 7-8/game too.

Foad

« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2016, 09:38:40 AM »
His rebounding needs to get up to 7-8/game

Two players in the BE averaged > 8 rebounds a game last year. Six averaged more than seven. Three of those six are in the NBA.

« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2016, 09:48:37 AM »

Two players in the BE averaged > 8 rebounds a game last year. Six averaged more than seven. Three of those six are in the NBA.

My guess is they had other skill sets.

Johnny23

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2016, 09:53:34 AM »

It's attainable.